• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. thomas_3000

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

What, however, is infinitely more interesting is this podcast with the founder of a new FMT clinic: http://chriskresser.com/all-about-fecal-microbiota-transplants tl;dl : There's a new clinic near London, UK, that scientifically performs FMT with a new procedure to ensure the survival of all...
  2. thomas_3000

Sleep, cortisol, insulin--in relation to the gut (etc.!)

@MeSci Maybe try the new Mood as well? It contains both 5-HTP, L-tryptophan and Vitamin B6 to boost serotonin levels.
  3. thomas_3000

Some off-topic observations: Regarding the sleep, cortisol and metabolism, I've made some changes and now I'm sleeping like a baby: - I was already doing sublingual B12 in the morning; - Added some slow yoga/mobility stuff the hour before bed. - No screens nor lights the last hour before bed; -...
  4. thomas_3000

Interesting @xjhuez I have the same thing. I also consume oats, but no other grains. However, I had this before introducing oats to a gluten-free diet. RS doesn't help either. It does however, take me ±30min to fall asleep. In the last 5 to 10 years I can hardly recall times when I woke up...
  5. thomas_3000

For anyone interested, Dr. Art Eyers of Cooling Inflammation has a really good post series on the gut, the immune system, autoimmunity, allergies, and the like. Here's the first part: http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.nl/2014/03/health-in-diagrams-i-gut-flora-and-diet.html It's pretty...
  6. thomas_3000

Yes, but if I recall correctly the proper FMT procedure includes first doing a course of antibiotics and/or a laxative in order to rid the bowels of as much (pathogenic) bacteria, and then follow that up with the "poo-shake" - which also has a lot of prebiotics in the form of oatmeal and...
  7. thomas_3000

Good that you mention that. I think, for everyone who has severe issues, a fecal transplant should almost always be the first option. It's a better solution than self-experimentation in almost every way: almost guaranteed results, cheaper, and the duration of the therapy is between 1 day and...
  8. thomas_3000

Jeez louise, I stopped checking this thread for a few days and a torrent of highly interesting and informative posts comes along. Wow. I have gone through ups and downs the last few weeks, but right now I'm reaching empyrean heights with regards to my IBS and (what I suppose to now be also...
  9. thomas_3000

@bertiedog flour has no resistant starch in it, the starch does. So use the starch. You'll notice the difference when you up the dose with the RS ;-) Baking soda and cocaine also look and taste the same, doesn't mean they're different ;-) @finalgates Up to 3gr in the morning (of InulinFOS). I...
  10. thomas_3000

@finalgates I had significant improvements but when I started adding inulin my condition gradually worsened again (constipation, cranky mood and foul-smelling flatulence came back again. Confounding variables could be eggs and onions, btw. It might be due to bactericidal activity due to a...
  11. thomas_3000

@snowathlete i actually think they mean high. I'm not sure regarding your other questions. @aquariusgirl it was an unexpected result of resolving my gut dysbiosis and constipation. My situation is/was unique, so what worked for me doesn't necessarily help you. I also did so much at the same...
  12. thomas_3000

Just realized something fascinating: Ever since making significant improvements in my health my 'sweet tooth' has almost disappeared. I was listening to a podcast where a doctor/researcher was talking about the interaction of bacteria with our mind and this led me to this study: ‘Utilisation...
  13. thomas_3000

@Violeta Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin Hmm, yes some symptoms are similar. But then again, that's the culprit of Dr. Google; search for 'red bump on arm' and come away convinced that you have cancer. What I'm going to do is to still test the B-12 and if I still have some...
  14. thomas_3000

Ha, damnit. I read B12, went out and researched 'b12 deficiency' and ordered a good supplement. Maybe dandruff is also highly correlated with farsightnedness ;) (yes, i'm starting to use the smilies as well now!) I'll incorporate some more riboflavin-rich foods like spinach, almonds, eggs, etc...
  15. thomas_3000

From some research the preffered formula seemed to be: ±12gr of xylitol, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), used with distilled (in my case: pre-cooked) water. I use some sort of neti pot (doesn't look like it but acts in the same way). Anyways, it doesn't seem to be...
  16. thomas_3000

@Sasha I haven't noticed improvements. I'm currently trailing a nasal drip with a mixture of xylitol, sea salt and baking soda, 3 times day. I notice temporary improvements, but nothing systematic. I'll try adding Johnson's baby shampoo next, if I can get my hands on it here in Europe (yes baby...
  17. thomas_3000

Update: - Energy levels getting better. - Sleep getting much better. Woke up at 5.30 (having slept 6,5/7 hours) and I couldn't sleep anymore, mind was pretty active. Now, I did some weightlifting yesterday that was particularly taxing on my CNS (squat, deadlift) and I walked for ±2 hours...
  18. thomas_3000

Small update: Two days after I started supplementing with magnesium my constipation is gone and my regularity is back (Bristol Type Awesome). Amazing. Let's see if it stays this way. I figured that since I have chronic sinusitis I might be deficient in magnesium. When more histamine is...
  19. thomas_3000

@knackers323 been using some boabab powder and maca as well (though not in large quantities).
  20. thomas_3000

@Vegas very, very informative post! I had a lot of 'a ha'-moments reading it ;-) Some background on my last few weeks: I started supplementing 5gr of GOS (Bimuno) for about a week. I got a lot of sulphuric gas and constipation as a result. I initially thought this was a setback, and quit after...
  21. thomas_3000

@zzz0r i've had some thread worms when I was around 10 or so. I still vividly remember that I was about to flush until I saw something moving in my stool. Crazy. A few weeks/a month ago I passed stool that looked extremely weird. Like some kind of gooey rope. Your threadworm suggestion got me...
  22. thomas_3000

@MeSci Yes we are, but veyr informative nonetheless! Edit: Holy sh** MeSci, these symptoms are eerily similar to mine. I never thought lack of balance could be attributed to gut problems.
  23. thomas_3000

@zzz0r I had some really good improvements but then I added Bimuno (GOS) in the mix and things kind of went downhill from there. I'm still using it, as things might shift with prolonged use. Research indicates GOS to be very helpful. I have/had CFS, but it's not too bad at the moment. It's...
  24. thomas_3000

@Vegas thanks for this, very interesting stuff! Your posts makes me wish I would've studies biochemistry instead of social sciences ;-) Fascinating stuff. I've been having pain in my spleen for ±5 days, although it's subsiding a bit now. I thought it was because I was doing some new core...
  25. thomas_3000

Yeah I like the kitchen sink approach as well, money is primarily inhibiting me from trying multiple probiotics at the same time. The prebiotics are a lot cheapier, hence I'm using RS, psyllium husk, baobab powder and Bimuno at the same time ;-) We don't have time for a solid research...
  26. thomas_3000

I think I might've generalized things, indeed not everybody is capable of producing lactase. It's depended on ancestry and racial background. Here's the link I was referring to. And here's a relevant part of the article:
  27. thomas_3000

Interesting, hence Tim Steele's recommendation of raw broccoli a bit earlier. If you want to improve food intolerances, organic, dirty and unprepared (as in raw) vegetables thus seems best. @Gestalt since you're taking so many probiotics, are you sure it's the RS at the specific time that's...
  28. thomas_3000

In cases like these, will re-introducing foods cause the necessary bacteria to regrow/repopulate the gut? This is a question I've been dealing with. On a related note, some recent research shows that a peanut allergy can be cured by slowly and gradually increasing the dose of peanut in...
  29. thomas_3000

@Vegas thanks for the explanation, really, really helpful. I'll keep at it, will report back.
  30. thomas_3000

@Gestalt that's really good news! Might there be an evolutionary explanation behind this 'magical' time of day that RS is ingested? For example, 3-5 hours before sleep traditionally means dinner time. Maybe that's been the time for 100.000s of years that RS was primarily ingested by hominoids...