• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

What does high B12 mean?

Interesting, thank you. My test was done by Doctors Laboratory, London. Is this all to do with methylation problems or is it something else?
  2. M

What does high B12 mean?

I don't know. Just says Active B12. Can you explain how it makes a difference please? I could check with the lab to find out.
  3. M

What does high B12 mean?

I've just been tested too and have high active B12, 239 pmol/L (range 25 - 165) despite not taking B12 supplements. Red cell folate was 550 nmol/L (range 285 - 1474). I have slightly raised homocysteine (11 umol/Ls) and have never tested MMA. The several occasions I've taken B12 it seemed to...
  4. M

Has anyone taken MCT oil?

Yes, my gut isn't great these days but it just depends what it will tolerate at the moment. Good luck with trying it again. I've kept my bottle of MCT oil in case I need a constipation cure anytime!
  5. M

Has anyone taken MCT oil?

It gave me diarrhea too, even only a few drops of it. I wasn't on it long and I didn't persevere with it because of that but don't think it was helping me particularly. I can tolerate coconut oil okay.
  6. M

Discuss SNP rs1464510 Celiac, gliadin, gluten related SNP

Thanks very much Sea for the info about the gene testing. The gene test I am considering tests for: "HLA-DQA/DQB genotyping provides detection of DQ2 (DQA1*0501, DQA1*0505, and DQB1*0201/*0202) and DQ8 (DQB1*0302) Report includes DQ2, DQ8,half DQ2,homozygosity for DQB1*02, and complete DQA and...
  7. M

Thanks very much again xchocoholic. Do you think 6 weeks of gluten eating would be enough before a biopsy? I think that's the minimum recommended for doing the coeliac blood tests. So, if biopsy isn't always accurate, will the gene tests give a definite answer?? Yes, I will probably steer...
  8. M

Thank you very much for all the info Sea. I had heard about low IgA being common in Coeliac but had forgotten it. Mmm, I thought the biopsy was reliable, didn't know it could also produce a doubtful result. Thanks xchocoholic. I think I tried to read Dr Tom Bryan (Gluten summit) about the...
  9. M

Thank you all. That's a really interesting link nandixon, thank you. So, I should be able to get the same information from 23and me as from the Kimball gene test? Sea, I haven't heard that before about the 50% thing. My IgA was 0.52 g/l and the lab ref range was 0.9 - 4.5. So that would mean...
  10. M

My IgA is low (0.5) so I worry that a lot of the blood testing for coeliac will be inaccurate. I had a negative on the coeliac test my GP did, but it is IgA based. I tried to get an IgG test but GP said no, that the IgA test result was okay because my IgA was low but not deficient. Don't know...
  11. M

I am trying to find out if I have coeliac disease or am gluten intolerant. I am going to get the 23 and Me test done sometime but I am also considering the gluten gene test from Kimball Labs: http://www.kimballgenetics.com/files/Celiac_HLA_DQA-DQB_flyer_2013.pdf Am I right that I will get...
  12. M

Camelford drinking water inquest & Wessely

Go on, Simon, have a knighthood. Well, okay Simon, if you insist, thank you very much.
  13. M

Alex, yes there was the mussel food poisoning case - although I think they maybe exported the problem elsewhere, to posh London restaurants, rather than it remaining on the islands. Actually I don't know if anyone got ill from it, or if they caught it in time. Countrygirl, that's very...
  14. M

Does anyone know what the reference to Shetland is about?