• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. V

Yasko's simplified protocol summary and question about her supplements.

I treated my homozygous CBS 360 before doing any testing by taking 50-100mg molybdenum and a capsule of yucca. I thought it helped. When I did test two months later, sulfur was in a good range, but the hair test showed that it had been high in the previous months, ammonia was good, and taurine...
  2. V

Trouble with adenosyl-B12 -weight gain

I did pretty well on the Bulletproof diet and paleo-type diets in general, although I naturally prefer a more vegetarian-type diet and always find myself going back that way. I drink 1/2 cup of bulletproof coffee in the morning, but can't say I noticed any sort of benefit from it, I just like...
  3. V

Trouble with adenosyl-B12 -weight gain

Speaking of gut bacteria and body weight, the Bulletproof Executive had this interesting blog post where he lists histamine producing/neutral/degrading probiotics.
  4. V

treating SNPs in an incorrect order?

My potassium symptoms are: 1. Headache. Starts as a tight muscle in my upper back, which potassium fixes. If I don't take anything, it travels into my head and turns into full-fledged migraine. 2. Insomnia. When it's not bad, I fall asleep easily, wake during the night, but fall back asleep...
  5. V

For potassium, I do mostly gluconate with some citrate. I try to eat high potassium foods, but there's no way I could eat enough to get what I need on some days. When I'm low, I keep water with gluconate in it by me all day and sip on it. If I feel ok, I sip less. When I feel the low-potassium...
  6. V

Ow! Muscle cramps keeping me up at night, and leading to permanent injury

Are you taking B1, B2, B3? As Freddd has pointed out, that can overdrive the need for potassium as well. How's your cortisol level? High cortisol causes a retention of sodium and an excretion of potassium.
  7. V

a few questions about BH4

Ah, I'm sorry, I may have slightly misled you with the BH4 advice...the little bit of BH4 that is in the 1298c and royal jelly should be ok before you have supported the long route with enough B12 and methylfolate. I think you'll want the short and long cuts fairly well supported before moving...
  8. V

a few questions about BH4

My understanding is that BH4 is to be taken after the long-route is pretty well implemented. So you'd want to have the short-cut, lithium (if testing shows a need), B12 (showing decent cobalt excretion on the UEE/HMT), and methylfolate all added before adding BH4. There's really no getting...
  9. V

I started off with Yasko's simplified program and do regular testing through her, which has provided me with great advice. I stuck with the basics and stayed on-plan until testing through her showed I could move to the next level or benefit from a non-basic supplement. I'm progressing well and...
  10. V

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

After cutting my B1, B2, and B3, I was able to stabilize my need for potassium and felt pretty good for about a month at 2-3g potassium/day with 4mg mB12, 4mg hB12, 4mg aB12. The hb12 I take is out of stock, so I thought I'd try slowly switching over to mB12. After a couple of weeks, I was up...
  11. V

Don't know what to do, need help!

I take potassium at up to 1g per dose, up to 7 times per day when I'm in a crisis for it. I realized yesterday that I cannot take enough potassium to keep up with my needs for it, so have cut my mB12. Over the last 6 weeks, I'd stabilized my potassium needs (by lowering B1, B2, B3) and was...
  12. V

Don't know what to do, need help!

I take about 12mg B12 and 200mcg methylfolate. At one point, I was taking 6-7g per day of potassium, but then cut back on B1, B2, and B3 and now take 3-4g potassium per day. You might try reading up on Yasko's forum - there's a lot of information about some people needing lithium orotate with...
  13. V

need more methyl (TMG/DMG?) positive results from drinking alcohol? huh?

Curcumin and theanine (green tea) are two other methyl donors that you could try. Yasko has a product, MethylMax, which contains these two and more, but it's out of stock now. Since starting my methylation protocol (Yasko simplified), I've been able to tolerate some alcohol. I rarely go above...
  14. V

The most recent test is the Genova MAP which showed me slightly deficient in B1, B3 and very deficient in B2. At the time of the test, I was taking about 30mg/day of B2 and B3. The level of benfotiamine is not listed, so I assumed that meant the level is low, which as I'm writing this, suddenly...
  15. V

NADH during methilation protocol ?

Dr. Yasko does recommend NADH at a certain point in her program. You can search for NADH in her online book to get more details.
  16. V

New Methylation Videos by Ben Lynch

I think B12 is one of the exceptions. From her book:
  17. V

@Freddd - Do you have any thoughts on testing for the B1, B2, and B3 vitamins? All of my testing says I need more, but my potassium intake is crazy high. A couple of months ago, I was on 1/2 of Yasko's Ultimate B which was 25mg of B2 and much lower amounts of B1 and B3 than you recommend. At...
  18. V

New here - methyl trap? Low B12? Please help!!

Dr. Yasko looks at cobalt levels on urinary and hair essential elements tests. I believe the theory is that once you have saturated yourself with enough cobalamins, you'll start dumping cobalt. These tests also measure lithium, which you supposedly need to transport b12. You could run a hair...
  19. V

I'm up to 6g of supplemented potassium per day - a mixture of citrate, gluconate, and coconut water. And I try to eat potassium-rich food as much as possible. I'm on a simplified yasko program. I started B12 in April and added 1g of potassium per day to get my body ready for the methylfolate...