• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Min

Psychology Today Opinion piece regarding the IOM release

If anyone wishes to bring the article to the attention of Toronto Uni's student union,the email address is: frontdesk@utsu.ca
  2. Min

Toronto University's Dean's Designate for the Administration of the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters is Wayne Dowler: dowler@utsc.utoronto.ca
  3. Min

and of bringing his hate filled article to the attention of the student union
  4. Min

Here's his profile, he is not posing as a psychologist:http://livinghistory.med.utoronto.ca/people/edward-shorter I wonder how the students with ME/CFS at his uni feel about him him denigrating and enciting hatred towards their illness and disability?
  5. Min

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/about/whatwedo Should complaints about this hate piece by Psychiatrist Edward Shorter be made to the Royal College of Physicians and surgeons of Canada, to the University of Toronto where he is Professor, or is it just not worth it for an...
  6. Min

It is surprising that such an unscientific, hate filled rant was permitted in the publication.
  7. Min

Name preference? CFS, ME-itis (2 versions), ME-opathy, SEID, or Ramsay

Ramsay disease: VIA: Maryann Spurgin with Liz Willow and 4 others.
  8. Min

Please sign this NO THANK YOU card to IOM committee

I have read a lot of the comments and they lòok fine to me. If it's OK to have a thank you card, then it's OK to have a no thank you card.
  9. Min

Yes, this is what a moderator posted on the thank you card thread: "Why derail this thread, which is a request to sign an e-card, with comments that really are more appropriate on other threads."
  10. Min

Yes, it is becoming disturbing, thank you. There should be respect for more than one point of view.
  11. Min

Poll: Which name is better: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease?

Seid, or Seiðr, is an Old Norse term for a type of sorcery or witchcraft
  12. Min

So the signatures on the thank you card are from patients, but many of the ones on the no thank you cards must be fake? Where is the evidence? Doesn't this idea reflect a personal bias rather than reality? I have seen a huge amount of criticism of the IOM committee amongst genuine patients.
  13. Min

Exactly the same question could be asked of the thank you card. What point are you making?
  14. Min

We are each entitled to our own opinions on the matter.
  15. Min

What Should This Disease Be Officially Called?

We already have a name, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. The problem has been the deliberate downplaying of a serious neurological illness by renaming it chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalopathy.
  16. Min

lyme disease mapping project

Many thanks
  17. Min

Poll: Which name is better: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease?

Why take Myalgic Encephalomyelitis out of the mix? It is an excellent name for our illness, we do not need a new one.
  18. Min

Sign this e-card by 28 Feb to thank the IOM committee!

No way am I thanking them for wasting a million dollars (that should have gone to biomedical research ) on this pig's ear of a report deliberately designed to bury the neurological illness myalgic encephalomyelitis within a daft 'SEID' diagnosis.
  19. Min

What do you think of the IOM's new name for ME/CFS? VOTE!

The name myalgic encephalomyelitis is perfectly adequate, we just need to drop the wretched 'CFS'.
  20. Min

BMJ comments on new PACE trial data analysis

an excellent response
  21. Min

White & QMUL praising PACE's value and impact for a research assessment

I do wonder how many patients with actual myalgic encephalomyelitis are daft enough to go anywhere near these harmful clinics for more than one visit, and what the patients they do see are suffering from. The patients they boast have recovered appear to have mild depression that does respond...
  22. Min

How do you pronounce SEID ? (Poll)

Wasting time and money thinking up innacurate and ludicrous names for a debilitating neurological illness is obviously more important than researching to find a cure.
  23. Min

Will S.E.I.D. be accepted as (be proven to be) valid?

Systematic Eradication of an Inconvenient Illness? http://twenty-years-and-counting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/guest-post-ioms-seid-and-who.html?spref=fb
  24. Min

Will S.E.I.D. be accepted as (be proven to be) valid?

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a perfectly good name, our neurological illness is not just intolerance to exertion, it has many other symptoms. As Justy says, 'SEID' is bullshit, it's also DIES backwards ; I am not happy either.
  25. Min

Daily Mail - yoga cures myalgic encephalomyelitis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2933959/How-yoga-change-life-questions-benefits-exercise-answered.html (Second article on page) The woman supposedly cured by yoga just happens to be a yoga practitioner, surprise surprise.
  26. Min

BMJ comments on new PACE trial data analysis

Editing Nasim's reply has totally changed the meaning, making it look as if she is praising Prof Chalder and colleagues!