• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

Chemobrain (& CFS): critical review & causal hypothesis [=somatoform via biomed]

What concerned me the most was this sentence: "The discordance between the severity of subjective experience and that of objective impairment is the hallmark of somatoform illnesses, such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.” Note he just accepts as common knowledge that CFS and fibro...
  2. M

ICD 10 CM - ME and CFS to be split

That assumes US physicians actually used a PVFS diagnosis, or perhaps would start to - and I know of NO cases in the US where PVFS is being diagnosed. The classification of CFS at R53.82 in the US's ICD-10-CM makes a stronger case for CFS to be viewed as a subset of all CF cases (which is how...
  3. M

The 323.9 code in ICD-9 and ICD-9-CM was equivalent to the G93.3 code in ICD-10 and ICD-10-CM - in both cases (benign) M.E. was placed in the chapter on neurology. M.E. has always been coded in neurology, since its first appearance in the codes in 1969. Likewise, the R53.82 code in ICD-10-CM...
  4. M

Note: It is too late to get SEID coded in ICD-10-CM, being adopted in the US on October 1. The IOM presented their report AFTER the deadline for filing for a change in ICD-10-CM's original version - and I believe they have also missed the deadline for filing for a change in ICD-10-CM when the...
  5. M

Let me echo the thorough explanation by DX Revision watch. (FWIW, the presentation to CFSAC that had the new code for ICD-10-CM was made by Reeves AND by Donna Pickett from NCHS together.) First and foremost - IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE US, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU (except as a...
  6. M

In Brief: Viruses and ME

Several of us struggle with the beta herpesviruses - HHV-6 (generally A, but sometimes B), HHV-7, and cytomegalovirus (or HHV-5). Also, Epstein-Barr (HHv-4) clearly plays a role in triggering this disease. I'm not sure why Lipkin was so certain herpesviruses were irrelevant, but it's ignoring...
  7. M

Talking with CFSAC - Views from the other side of the table

Those were interesting interviews. Thank you for providing them, in this forum. But nothing that has been suggested for patient advocates hasn't already been tried. CFSAC was not the first committee. That was the CFS-ICC (CFS Interagency Coordinating Committee), created sometime around...