• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

I've tried but i cant understand the paradoxic folate / donut hole .. anyone can help me?

I've tried to get ahold of this myself. This blog entry of mine might help you. I thought I also read that "Paradoxical" deficiency that taking more (man made) Folic Acid doesn't help raise folate levels. Also Freddd seems to go into much more detail on finding deficiencies in his "Refeeding...
  2. S

Detox part of Methylation treatment?

Is there a need for increased detox during methylation or is boosting methylation considered detox? Methylation being one of the "Phase 2" liver pathways should leave in it's wake harmless detoxed substances "Methylation eventually yields usable sulfate with the help of the trace mineral...
  3. S

Anyone experience "oddball" deficiencies that helped when corrected?

Was wondering if there could be any significant deficiency of something like a Trace Mineral that might need to be restored before making progress? Vanadium, Germanium, etc.? Anyone experience that? What would even the odds of that be? Mostly the Methylation supps seem to live in a set of B's...
  4. S

First try at Active Protocol and have questions.

I've been trying to find balance with copper. I tend to feel really good when I'm there. I remember @Freddd talking about taking up to 20mg. I can't even imagine going that high. I've got 3mg chelated and trying to balance that with my Zinc is hard enough.
  5. S

COMT++ stress/dopamine brain-fog connection

@jason30 While supplements were helpful it was taking too much time and who knows if the final outcome would have been something to let her get on with her life. Fortunately or unfortunately the drug route had better success in the shorter run. She's on zoloft now and started her first job last Oct.
  6. S

Regenerative ability of Vitamin C

Back in 2015 I blogged about having a remission for all my symptoms for about 2 months (Click here). Since I was taking several things at a time (and still am) I wasn't sure exactly what or what combination of supplements, exercise, sun exposure, stress, etc... caused the sudden remission. I'm...
  7. S

Adrenal Fatigue - Vitamin C

I've been running into one deficiency after another for months it seems. Just found another I think: https://www.adrenalfatiguerecovery.com/vitamin-c.html I think I just ran into this last few days: "In adrenal fatigue, your adrenal glands "panic" when they don't have enough vitamin C...
  8. S

What's your favorite Probiotic?

I'm looking to add another probiotic or two. I also thought it would be really great to have a bunch of recommendations in one thread. I'm currently taking Syntol and Jarrow IBS. Syntol is supposed to be a "cure" for Candida and the Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (Jarrow IBS) really helps me.
  9. S

B6 VITAMIN PROBLEMS

I had a question regarding B6. Was wondering if it's smart to just blindly support the Transsulfuration Pathway? The Methylation cycle wants it's ingredients to keep spinning. Seems that by taking B6 or especially p5p we are removing perhaps very needed homocysteine from that cycle. I know most...
  10. S

B vitamins and blurry vision?

I've found that always for me blurry vision meant a gut battle (die off). Usually occurred after probiotics or food I know that might upset my gut. Something toxic is in the gut and leaking back into my system. Something like this click here
  11. S

Taking B12 and Folate

I really thought I broke myself after my SMP stint that had me up to 9mg MFolate back in 2015. Nothing seemed right since. Wondering if things can every go back to the pre-SMP time (CFS/normal?) by themselves. I'm doing much better now and seem to have found an equilibrium with my supplements...
  12. S

Getting to the root deficiency

I found a big deficiency in B1 (Thiamine) a couple weeks ago. But again there was still something missing. I think that missing piece was Folate. In my researching about B1 I read that you can become deficient if you are deficient in Folate. I may have been deficient for a long time. It's been...
  13. S

Taking B12 and Folate

I seem to have a see saw effect... I only seem to need Mfolate and ACbl. Just taking those two and getting a feel for them. Adding the other B's in the AM and taking Mag and Potassium when I feel that deficiency. But taking more MFolate than usual and I'm doing good. But I know that the need for...
  14. S

Taking B12 and Folate

Definitely felt like a worsening of my on/off Adrenal fatigue. I was actually treating myself for that without much success. Found I had a B1 Thiamine deficiency which can be related to Folate deficiency. For me just lack of energy, felling very depressed and just a doom type of going downhill...
  15. S

Taking B12 and Folate

If it seems that taking my B12 will deplete Folate and vise versa... how do you take this stuff? Thinking I'm running into the paradoxical Folate deficiency perhaps. You know, when you take Folate then need to take more Folate because of the initial Folate. It's a mess. Any pointers on how to...
  16. S

Thiamine Deficiency uncovered

So maybe here: http://www.geneticlifehacks.com/thiamine-genetic-variations-in-need-for-b1/ Out of the three Snps below I only have informaiton for rs28937595 which is ok @ C/C
  17. S

For me I just feel ill, old, run down, fragile, no energy. Typical CFS I would say. Adrenal fatigue for sure.
  18. S

I've been having IBS-D issues for a while now... I thought taking 100mg would be a lot although I've read that when low Doctors prescribe 500mg per day. Do you find that taking such high B1 depletes other cofactors? Are you taking other cofactors?
  19. S

How can I make sense of this?
  20. S

Thanks for that. I pulled up my genonme on 23andme and there's like 20 rows for this Gene. Apparently 19A2 is onvolved somehow. Do you know what rs# I'm looking for and what is the normal state for? I can take Thiamine and it does help. I found this...
  21. S

I was so focused on minerals I completely overlooked something. For the last few months I've been experiencing low energy, feelings of adrenal fatigue and just general feeling of going downhill and nothing I can do about it. Again... something is very wrong. For the second time in as many...
  22. S

While searching for deficiencies, I found a big one

I was so focused on minerals I completely overlooked something. For the last few months I've been experiencing low energy, feelings of adrenal fatigue and just general feeling of going downhill and nothing I can do about it. Again... something is very wrong. For the second time in as many...
  23. S

Finding and identifying deficiencies while on SMP (Methylation Protocol)

@Rita1979 Thank you, this is timely, I just started addressing Vitamin D which I'm hoping might be my final deficiency. It won't be if I don't up my Magnesium perhaps. Thanks for the reminder. I agree it is very complex and since everyone is different any advice depend on the genetics of whom...
  24. S

I've found again I have a Potassium deficiency. I've told myself again and again if I take Methyl B12 I'll need to take potassium. Finally figured this out yesterday after weeks of suffering. Don't know how I missed it since it's probably the most likely deficiency in SMP land. (banging head...
  25. S

Comment by 'sregan' in 'SMP Deficiency Search'

Yes it does include Magnesium. I also take extra of that and Zinc.. I'll be doing a writeup soon. This note was so I didn't lose track of what I was doing.
  26. S

SMP Deficiency Search

Currently taking: B1, B2, B3, B5, Pantethine, Biotin, PABA, p5p Mega Mins, Jarrow Multi Minerals, Mag-Glycinate, Opti Zinc, Molybdenum, Manganese, Selenium, Boron Vitamin D3, A + BetaC, Multi E, K2 Lithium and Iodine about 2pm Betaine? Choline? Lysine ToDo Still looking assuming some...
  27. S

Was she taking Iodine or thyroid support also?
  28. S

It's hard for me to know what to think at the moment for Lithium. If it increases your sensitivity to cortisol then that should mean less cortisol is more. So it should help someone with low cortisol. But it "feels" like it's lowering cortisol although I don't have the increased inflammation...
  29. S

I started with lithium.. Just one 5mg tablet at a time with Iodine. It seems to have a nice relaxing effect at first. I will feel really good but a little jittery late in the day with some anxiety. And seem to wake with some anxiety. The studies showed that lithium is supposed to increase...
  30. S

Just dawned on me that betaine is TMG! (Betaine Anhydrous). Does anyone know if Betaine HCI acts as the TMG methylation shortcut also? From: http://www.raysahelian.com/betaine.html