• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. P

complete genomic sequencing

Currently the only available direct to consumer genetics test I have found is through DNA DTC (search on google) and that test is for $7,000. But if you can get your doc involved there are many more companies that will sequence your genome, though I don't know if or how you will receive your...
  2. P

DNA DTC offers whole genome sequencing to individuals

This company offers whole genome sequencing for about $7,000. A pretty steep price but there are companies out there I believe that do it for around $3,000, but this is the first one that I found where a consumer can make a direct order similar to 23andMe. Many of the other companies only...
  3. P

DNA analyzing tools from the genome.gov site: http://hugenavigator.net/HuGENavigator/home.do Go here and click on Genome Prospector and you can enter in a disease or disorder and see the genes relevant to that disease. Seems pretty comprehensive. There are probably a bunch of other useful...
  4. P

Another good article: http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/23/drugstore-genomes-whos-pushing-the-sequencing-industry/ This link shows the declining cost of a whole genome sequence: http://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts/ 23andMe will also be getting into the business of of whole genome...
  5. P

Hi, I posted this on the dna testing thread, but I figured there would be some people in this thread that don't look at that one that would be interested in this. I've been digging into complete genomic sequencing to see what the cheapest test costs these days. If you go to this wiki, it's...
  6. P

I've been digging into complete genomic sequencing to see what the cheapest test costs these days. If you go to this wiki, it's pretty interesting because there are a large number of companies currently competing to produce a cheap, quick, and reliable whole genome test...
  7. P

DAAO and GlyT1 inhibitors in treatment of Alzheimers, OCD, depression, schizophrenia, and more

Here is an abstract that discusses the current thoughts behind this kind of treatment: https://www1.wfsbp-congress.org/guest/SciProgramSessionsList?SSN_ID=832 Currently the top two GlyT1 inhibitors available are sarcosine (an endogenous inhibitor) and Bitopertin (which will be marketed come...
  8. P

genetic haplotypes

So in this circumstance would being AT-CG be similar to being "heterozygous" for the haplotype in the way people would say that being AG is heterozygous for some SNP, and TT-GG be homozygous in that it's a "double whammy" of the refrenced haplotype? Not to remove any significance of a single...
  9. P

genetic haplotypes

Does anyone here understand haplotypes and how to determine your own haplotypes? As far as I know they're different from SNPs in that they are combinations of several genes rather than just a single SNP. Here's a simple example of what I am talking about "A haplotype previously identified for...
  10. P

NMDA glutamate receptors

Here is a very nice simplified overview of schizophrenia and current hypotheses. http://www.nmdainschizophrenia.com/understanding-pathways?cid=bit_we_F000500_P001031#glutamate8 I have been reading a lot into the schizophrenic hypothesis because there is some overlap in glutamatergic dysfuction...
  11. P

Glutathione Synthesis and supplying necessary ingredients

If you scroll down to the part of this link called NAC and PAH: a real risk? You will see the study I was talking about under the area titled "The Concern". But this paper says, as you say, that it has a beneficial effect at healthy doses...
  12. P

I do not use NAC for my OCD. I was just adding that bit in there because I felt like the OCD article, which speaks about NAC as a modulator of extra and intercellular glutamate via the antiporter, does a good job of describing the whole process. I guess increased cystine or cysteine is just one...
  13. P

Urgent?L-Meth raising Histamine

Here's a comprehensive review of Histamine breakdown: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.full "An increase in DAO activity with the histamine-free diet was shown in migraine patients (57). In addition, histamine degradation can be supported by the administration of vitamin C (133) and...
  14. P

Wow that's interesting. I had a high blood histamine level (even though I said I have never had histamine reactions to anything), and I have been having a lot of issues with high adrenaline as well. I'd really like to know if you continue to notice positive results with the b6. Gen, I also...
  15. P

This was an additional edit I made back on my post about the SLC1a1 genewhich encodes for the EAAT1 enzyme. This article has some very good information about glutamate transport as a potential player in the pathology of OCD, as well as information in regarding the antiporter and glutathione...
  16. P

I would definitely recommend starting slow and titrating. Look around this forum for a clear protocol as opposed to just winging it. Taking straight supplements isn't always 100 percent safe. For example, a lot of people on here also take potassium along with methyl b12 since methyl b12 will...
  17. P

I cannot give you an experienced perspective as I have only tried methionine for no longer than a week, and it also depends on your objective. The fact that you are supplementing with L-methionine tells me you are trying to increase methylation, I am guessing. Methyl folate can increase...
  18. P

NMDA glutamate receptors

Hi there. I was doing some looking into NMDA receptors as the role of glutamate is possibly an important factor in OCD. For anyone that likes to read about this stuff, I found a good article I would like to share talking about a number of neuronal pathways throughout our brain. This article is...
  19. P

This could be a streeeetch, but I did read on an extremely comprehensive article about methylation that higher levels of SAMe inhibits the MTHFR enzyme and that high levels of 5mthf inhibits the conversion of SAMe into sarcosine (with glycine) via the GNMT enzyme. I believe this is supposed to...
  20. P

Die-off or kidney disease? N00b in need of advice!

I believe triffid is referring to potassium deficiency that can be caused by your recent methyl b12 supplementation. Since you had your potassium checked a month ago it wouldn't reflect a possible deficiency since you started taking it last weekend.
  21. P

DNA testing

I have already done the 23andMe testing and I think it provides amazing bang for its buck. However, having been doing a lot of looking into a number of potential OCD genes I have found that there are many that are not in my 23andMe data. I am wondering if anyone on here knows where to go for...
  22. P

Confused about 23andme results and methylation

This is something I ran across while looking into COMT as a cause of my OCD, as I am also V158M and H62H +/+. http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/1/135 There are other articles out there about this, so there seems to be at least a small link between increased catecholamines and pain...
  23. P

Confused about 23andme results and methylation

Pamrr, I think I might have "air hunger". Could you describe to me what air hunger is to you? How did that lead you to investigate for lymes and Babesia? I am interested in possibly looking into lymes disease as I am from MN and have been camping a lot. There have even been times where I have...
  24. P

help translating an SNP from dnbSNP site

By this do you mean that you scroll down and look at the bars on the dbSNP page that have percentages for the various allele groupings? I found issues with using that as a means to verify the minor from the major allele. If you look at this SNP...
  25. P

So A,C, and G,T are not limited to positive and negative strands, yet they will certainly oppose eachother? For example just knowing you are AA would not determine if those are from the positive and negative strands, but it would tell you that there is a TT on the opposing strands? So since it...
  26. P

I've been trying to find out the frequency of major and minor alleles of a few snps from my 23andMe results, but I have been a bit confused by what comes up on dnbSNP. For example when I searched for rs6265 on 23andMe it shows "C or T" but when I look it up on dnbSNP...
  27. P

uploading pubmed articles

Edit** Just had a question about uploading an article and got an answer.
  28. P

Slc1A1 gene, cysteine and glutamate tranport

If you by chance want to involve yourself in the complexities that underlie the functions of one enzyme, read this: http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038/tp.2013.35. More info on the SlC1A1 and OCD. The SNPs that displayed the most reproducible associations with OCD, schizophrenia and...
  29. P

Roxie, The idea that certain alleles within genes are "mutations" may be misleading. While certainly your genome may contain some rare "defects" (such as rare allele configurations and deletions) many of the minor alleles that are considered mutations in Yasko's literature are not exactly...
  30. P

Here is an interview with Dr. Pittenger, who I believe is one of the lead scientists at the OCD research center at the Yale School of Medicine. The interview begins around 1:30, and he starts really getting into the Slc1A1 gene at about 10 minutes in: () Here is a link to the OCD International...