• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

Confused on Yasko BCAA recomendation

My understanding is that BCAAs are nitrogen donors for glutamate but they also donate Nitrogen to GABA. It is currently hypothesized that they help make GABA in the astrocytes through the BCAT isozymes. I'm not a biochemist, so don't know how to explain that, but it seems it makes GABA. But...
  2. M

23andMe /Genetic Genie results for me & my daughter…. lots of +/+ ! Suggestions?

MTHFRSupport appears to know much more about each individual doctor, whereas my list is tracking people who say they are working with a doctor. I imagine that the mthfr.net doctors are interested enough in the subject to attend the seminar.
  3. M

23andMe /Genetic Genie results for me & my daughter…. lots of +/+ ! Suggestions?

There was a glitch there, but it's back you should see a map, and be able to enter an address and a radius to search. It initially defaults to a 200 mile radius from the center of the U.S.
  4. M

I made a list of MTHFR practitioners at http://www.mthfrease.com/mthfr/2013/02/10/mthfr-docs/. There's also a geographic search so you can find those close to your zip code for instance. Call each one to make sure they cover what you are interested in. Some are experts, others also treat...
  5. M

28 y/o, not well, looking for help

Gandalf, In COMT "--" the mechanism is that the breaking down of dopamine requires methyl groups, so they get used up, and having extra methyl groups around is a good thing. But in COMT++ the breakdown is not happening, and those methyl groups are not being used up, and potentially causing...
  6. M

28 y/o, not well, looking for help

With all that COMT maybe HB12 would be better.