• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. X

What does low blood sugar feel like?

I went this route for years - eating snacks every few hours. It's effective, but only if you stay on top of your game. I like what I'm doing now much better.
  2. X

Yes. Low GI foods didn't alleviate the issue, just lessen it.
  3. X

I have this same issue. I mistakenly used to think that lack of food caused my low blood sugar symptoms, but over time I discovered that in actuality eating causes the problem. Basically, once I put food in my stomach the clock starts ticking. Nowadays I do intermittent fasting (skipping...
  4. X

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

aaron_c, Cooking the Bob's potato starch to make RS3 is something I'd considered but never tried. Definitely going to do it tonight. Where did you read about this?
  5. X

Glad to see this thread is still going. I continue to take a few tablespoons of potato starch with breakfast, but only on blind faith that it's making butyrate, I feel absolutely nothing. I'm going to switch gears a bit and start making a lot of RS3 foods. Last night I baked 3 large purple...
  6. X

Anxiety, Ammonia, and the NMDA Receptor

YMMV with resistant starch. I take yucca daily with dinner for ammonia/anxiety. Unfortunately it hasn't helped my sleep at all. I also take resistant starch daily, and it hasn't eliminated my need to take yucca.
  7. X

Gut microbiota–generated metabolites in animal health and disease I did not pay for the full article, but posting here in case somebody wants to.
  8. X

Sleep, cortisol, insulin--in relation to the gut (etc.!)

You take oral hydrocortisone? I don't think that's available for me, other than in skin cream. Perhaps relevant - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15486489 and http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/290802.pdf
  9. X

I agree. I'm continuing with the PS at 1 tbsp/day, along with plain yogurt + bifidobacterium powder. I may add a tsp of the Barlean's olive leaf juice - undecided at this point. I already drink green tea in the afternoon, but at one cup a day I'm not getting a lot of phenols relative to what an...
  10. X

Interesting. From the above pdf: The mechanism by which phenolic extracts increased the growth of probiotic bacteria is not known. Molan et al. (2009) presented a possible partial explanation for this enhancing effects is the ability of polyphenols, in green tea extract, to act as antioxidant...
  11. X

It seems like reactions vary greatly from person to person, assumably due to gut microbiotic population. Anecdotally, my wife had discomfort and bathroom trouble from 1 tsp, my son had negative psychological reaction from .5 tsp, and I've had no reaction from 3 tbsp. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  12. X

I'm not convinced of anything - it's all conjecture. I originally deduced that I had excess gut ammonia due to a genetic urea cycle disorder. It wasn't until lately that the possibility of some sort of dysbiosis came to my attention. That's why I've been here, experimenting with RS. I can't...
  13. X

I don't believe this. It certainly isn't inert, as my son and wife both reacted negatively to a small amount of potato starch. I've not had my stool analyzed, so I have no idea. Yucca helps me a great deal with my mental issues - OCD and anxiety - but it hasn't helped me physically at all...
  14. X

My wife reports not waking at all during the night, while I wake several times after my initial 4 hours. I call her an Olympic level sleeper, while I wake up every time the furnace kicks on or a squirrel runs across the roof. I don't dismiss polyphasic sleep, but with my schedule there's no way...
  15. X

I'm on a low-grain diet, unless you throw oats in with the other grains, which I don't. Close to 30% of my daily intake is eggs and oats. Define crap. I wake up feeling tired, but not sick or weak. When I do wake up anxious I'm sure it is catecholamines.
  16. X

I don't know if it's my adrenals or blood sugar, but something wakes me up between the 4-5 hour mark every night. Typical night: hit the bed at 11 and immediately fall asleep (wife confirms it takes me 30 secs), sleep soundly until around 3-3:30 then spend the next few hours in awful...
  17. X

I agree that lack of gas alone wouldn't mean much. And I'm not making a judgement on flatulence as a good/bad thing, only that the lack of gas is on the list of things possibly indicative that the RS is passing through me inertly.
  18. X

I've begun to wonder whether potato starch is actually helping me, or whether it's been placebo. Others have reported strong reactions, positive and negative, to small amounts. I started at 1 tsp to zero effect, and it wasn't until I hit 3 tbsp that I felt "something". I seemed to feel better -...
  19. X

I take 2g of psyllium with 15-45g of potato starch (I take the large dose 2/week) with breakfast. It's not something I added for the purpose of augmenting the PS - I've been taking psyllium with every meal for years now.
  20. X

Cool. I ordered the Food Science of Vermont powder. Interesting ratios:
  21. X

Glad to hear it's working for you. Mine should be arriving Monday - looking forward to trying it. Incidentally, which brand are you using?
  22. X

I will second this. I do fine with potato starch and psyllium, but inulin causes me gut trauma. It took me some trial & error before I singled it out. I get the same unfortunate result from the "high ORAC green powders" suggested in this thread and elsewhere. Impossible to know what the culprit...
  23. X

For the sake of the thread, let's agree to disagree. :)
  24. X

Generally speaking, mice, rats and pigs make excellent laboratory proxies for humans.
  25. X

I don't know that any of us are taking pea fiber, but seemed relevant to the thread, as these are the same positive results we're after. Long-Term Intake of Pea Fiber Affects Colonic Barrier Function, Bacterial and Transcriptional Profile in Pig Model Abstract The objective of this study was...
  26. X

Interesting. Oreganol P73 has killed mine, more than once.
  27. X

Oil of oregano is amazingly effective at killing bacteria - so much so that you really need to be careful with it. Ingesting too much is basically like setting off a bomb in your gut. Just a few drops in a tablespoon of olive oil will kill anything in your throat, even strep.
  28. X

Me too. They didn't replicate the results with whole apples, though - just a lot of pectin. Of course it's rats, so grain of salt.
  29. X

Not RS, but relevant IMO due to butyrate. Effects of apples and specific apple components on the cecal environment of conventional rats: role of apple pectin "Our findings show that consumption of apple pectin (7% in the diet) increases the population of butyrate- and β-glucuronidase producing...