• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN an immunosuppressant?

I had been taking low dose naltrexone and seeing benefits in my chronic pain. Before I started taking it I was on an immunosuppressant (cortisone) that caused a latent HPV infection to come back aggressively (the cortisone is out of my system now). I was advised by my Gyn to stop taking the naltrexone (out of concern that anything affecting the immune system might make it harder for me to clear the HPV), and I’ve been off it for four days. My nerve pain is so bad today, now I’m pretty confident the naltrexone was helping. I want to go back on the naltrexone for pain, but I am afraid it’s suppressing my immune system, and I obviously don’t want to have HPV symptoms hanging around. I’m also worried that I need to start at a lower dose again to work my way up to the 3 mg I was at 4 days ago. Does anyone have advice? I’m still confused as to what naltrexone does to the immune system. I have a lot of conflicting immune problems, such as not fighting off illness but also things like eczema and allergies, all of which have been flaring lately. It seems like my immune system is suppressed and overactivated at the same time?

I was wondering if you've found any answers? I just found out that I have an active HPV infection at age 60. I've been on LDN for about 2 1/2 years. Recently it was discovered that my thyroid is failing and I've increased my thyroid medication. Other than that no big changes. I'm wondering if the LDN brought out a latent HPV infection. I also got shingles out of the blue about 1 1/2 years ago. This has to have been in my body for decades. Because of testing guidelines my last pap test was right before I started LDN.

Update: I don’t think the LDN is playing a role. The infection reactivated because of a glucocorticoid injection. I’m prone to immunosuppression, and it tipped it over the edge. But I’m still taking the LDN and the infection has *mostly* resolved.