• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any experience exercise (aerobic) vs lifting

frozenborderline

Pure Encasulations 10mg.

My doctor started me on 30 trying to help my cognitive function, then raised it to 150. I had massive estrogen overload symptoms within 2 days and my blood has a high level of estradiol.

10mg is plenty :thumbsup:
20-30 might have been too much in terms of converting to estrogen. i don't know what the effects of estrogen are supposedly like, but I had panic reaction, followed by weepiness for no particular reason, followed by some of the worst irritability of my life.

hamsterman

I do both, once a week, for the last 18 months. BUT I can only do it while I'm on prednisone. If I attempt to do it without prednisone... I'll crash for several days... and potentially lower my baseline.

I do the lifting, to counter-act bone density issues. Mostly military dumbbell lifts, and dumbell squats. I take BCAA and creatine before-hand.

For me cardio is mostly focused on trying to reverse my deconditioning and POTS. It's worked quite well. But again.... I absolutely cannot do this without prednisone. It stops my exertion immune response.

Stretched

This disorder would be easier to deal with if it was consistent between victims. Here we seem to have one group that has no trouble from aerobic exercise, but get PEM from muscle strain, and another group with the reverse. If nothing else, it makes making suggestions for others difficult.

Maybe it gets back to the etiology of CFS... . IMO, it’s caused by some unknown as yet stressor on the same system-provoking
organ. Those who are more able haven’t triggered the same same level of organ provocation as have the less maligned. I think
the triggering cause target lies in the brain, as yet unidentified.

Think of euridite reading of technical material causing PEM in some PWCs but not others. In my theory they simply have not triggered
the release of biochemical ‘X’ to the degree the affected group has, FWIW, the measurement of this quantum element has to date
been beyond the the researchers’ tools (and/or focus). It suggests a soon to be discovered path, not yet studied. ...Get out the electron microscopes... .

Last edited:
I've been lifting weights just fine 5-6 days a week throughout this illness.

Doing any kind of aerobic exercise provokes PEM. BCAAs, glutathione, citrulline, ornithine each have been helpful in beating PEM.
What's the duration of your weight lifting exercise? I been cutting down from 2 hours to 1 hours to 30 minutes. I'm going to take a hiatus to see if weight lifting has effected my recovery but when I go back at least I know to go at it at a 70% rate.

Learner1

2 hours is a lot.

I do a 10-15 min warm-up on a cardio machine, listening to my body and stopping if its too much, then resting for 4-5 minutes.

Then I do 2 circuits of 7-11 exercises, upper or lower body only, resting or napping if needed. My weights are about 65-70% of my pre-illness levels, and vary up or down depending on how I feel. (I used to do 4 sets preceded by HIIT pre-illness.)

And if I feel bad, I leave.

Aerobic very bad as can't even walk one block without triggering PEM. But I can lift weights 3 very intense exercises targeting multiple body parts at once (ie pull-ups, push-ups, deadlifts) 2 to 3 times per week resulting in muscle growth, but note I only do 3 exercises with a 4 minute rest in between. Essentially then I am not utilizing aerobic energy - just the glycogen energy store which is already in the muscle.

The lack of aerobic energy production or impaired citric acid cycle is a key to this disease. Based on this forum, given some people can do aerobic energy activities, it is clearly only a key for a sub-set of people with ME/CFS.

Tried same basic strength training exercise over two weeks and caused general fatigue similar to other aerobic activity.

How many sets of strength training did you do? I can only tolerate 3-4 sets in one day and then rest the next otherwise PEM.