• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beware of Aiding in the Burial of ME!

Since the disease ME forced me to become an historian I shall do my professional duty by revising errors as far as possible. Two messages that essentially all PWME can agree with appeared in the IOM report:

1. The disease is a serious physiological disease causing great harm, and
2. The disease has been substantially under-funded and deserves more research funds.

As shown in PR discussion, there are many aspects in the report that PWME criticize because they are misleading and/or false. Some of the discord is based in whether this matters or not. PWME who think it correct for advocacy groups to endorse and advance the report, like some of the commentators above, say that the errata they see can be worked around. Other PWME believe that endorsing the report with the errata intact and not criticized harms the prospects for important goals. One of the most important is the ability to gather correctly characterized cohorts for research.

I would like to highlight some errata so that people can be aware of them.

1. The IoM committee did not have the option of using the name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Input from one or more Federal Agencies forbade it. This fact was disclosed at a public meeting and had slipped out in private from a committee source. Dr. Bateman may well be right that calling the IOM definition ME “would have created even more confusion:” Then again, she may be wrong. We'll never know. What we do know is:

a. The government which is supposed to serve us did not want employed a name which, studies have shown, makes our disease be taken seriously.
b. The committee obeyed the government.

c. Those of us who have precisely the disease long known as ME fear greatly how we can get our causation and symptoms researched if our disease cannot be known by the original name that bears its history.

2. The Federal Agencies determined that work on ME/"cfs" is to be severed from the historic disease that evidenced itself alongside poliomyeltis and often resulted from non-polio enteroviruses. All prior wisdom, insights and treatments were flushed down the toilet when the agencies steered the entire project to eliminate all sources from before 1988. This is like teaching physics without Einstein and relativity. Whatever job the agencies wanted done, they clearly did not want it done absolutely fabulously. You can't do science without truth.

3. The 1988 cutoff also has the effect of more heavily weighting the work of the weaselly and whiter contingents of psychiatrists and psychologists, as their strenuous efforts to overweight bibliographies occurred after this date.

4.The Federal Agencies also made micro-decisions about what truths were acceptable and which were not. One result is that the IOM paper is biased against curing people. Montoya on success with Valcyte was eliminated because the group was subjectively judged "too small," whereas Straus' doubtful work condemning use of acyclovir, though it used as small or a slightly smaller group, was included. Yet Peterson and others have had great success curing younger, newer patients with acyclovir, while Montoya has restored people to function with Valcyte.

5.The IOM report did not adequately or accurately reflect the importance and nature of immunological dysfunction in ME, even as described by the very experts on the committee. Work published in the report does not match work as published elsewhere. Bias against description of ME as a disease of immune deficiency, which in part it is, dates all the way back to the 1980s, when the 1987 publication of the work of Caligiuri et al, executed at Harvard's Dana Farber with blood from Incline Village, which documented the deficiency of NK function, was written out of history by the leadership of NIH and CDC.

As a historian contemplating the historiography of "MECFS" it seems clear that a great deal of revision is necessary before the IOM paper can be considered accurately representative of PWME.

As a student of human behavior I do not consider the presence of very fine ME experts on the IOM committee to be at all contradictory with the errata in the report. For one thing, few if any humans can stand up against a tsunami with the force of all the US government and its near-monopoly on worldwide research finance behind it. For another, some errors were introduced after the committee had hurriedly announced its end. I have little sense that the committee members actually wrote the text; much less that they saw the very last changes.

As to the reviewers, there is no question of them necessarily approving what is written. That is not their job. All we can be sure of is that they read it.

At the moment the groups endorsing the IOM include some people I know to be very devoted to doing their best for patients. Yet those speaking against its endorsement are certainly equally strongly committed to obtaining the best science possible. The discrepancy is about how much can one safely overlook its flaws, for how long, under what circumstances. When and where do the ill-intentions and the manipulations behind it come back to bite? Never? Later rather than sooner? Sooner rather than later?

There is an argument to be made that there is no other flag to fly. 30 years of anti-patient government behaviour in every anglo-saxon country and across northern Europe have left us a deck of cards to play that seems entirely composed of threes of clubs.

What most seems necessary is to continue and broaden discussion of what went wrong with IOM to all PWME groups so that, when PWME fly the only flag we have, as with the Markey resolution, at least the flaws are well enough known that their details and worst damages will not survive the proof-reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nielk

1. The IoM committee did not have the option of using the name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Input from one or more Federal Agencies forbade it. This fact was disclosed at a public meeting and had slipped out in private from a committee source.

Thank you @deboruth for this revelation. This is important for people to know. My thoughts when reading this are:

- HHS put limitations on the IOM panel which was not revealed to us.
- Which other restrictions were demanded of them?
- WHy would they demand this specific limitation? Is it because HHS' charge to the IOM panel was to create a criterion that was other than an ME criteria? Is it because it would not fit with their intention to disappear ME (including the over 50 outbreaks)?

In either case, this revelation is extremely disturbing.

Nielk

a. The government which is supposed to serve us did not want employed a name which, studies have shown, makes our disease be taken seriously.
b. The committee obeyed the government.
c. Those of us who have precisely the disease long known as ME fear greatly how we can get our causation and symptoms researched if our disease cannot be known by the original name that bears its history.

All these points are to be considered gravely. ME advocates have warned for decades that HHS is acting to erase the facts about the distinct, acquired, infectious disease ME which appears in epidemic and a sporadic form. Instead, CDC has repeatedly acted in minimizing, marginalizing and obfuscating the disease with their repeated re-defining with overly broad, vague criteria stressing fatigue.

It is clear that the "independent" IOM panel was far from it. We cannot trust this process which was clearly tampered with by our government health agencies.

Nielk

2. The Federal Agencies determined that work on ME/"cfs" is to be severed from the historic disease that evidenced itself alongside poliomyeltis and often resulted from non-polio enteroviruses. All prior wisdom, insights and treatments were flushed down the toilet when the agencies steered the entire project to eliminate all sources from before 1988. This is like teaching physics without Einstein and relativity. Whatever job the agencies wanted done, they clearly did not want it done absolutely fabulously. You can't do science without truth.

Here is the list of outbreaks of ME worldwide. As you can see, there were a vast amount of outbreaks of which HHS decided to leave out of the review. This was clearly done to "steer the project" to their chosen narrative that this is just a group of fatiguing conditions - not a distinct disease which appeared in many outbreaks.

HHS controlled the outcome of the IOM study from the start with the limitations of their charge!

Nielk

4.The Federal Agencies also made micro-decisions about what truths were acceptable and which were not. One result is that the IOM paper is biased against curing people. Montoya on success with Valcyte was eliminated because the group was subjectively judged "too small," whereas Straus' doubtful work condemning use of acyclovir, though it used as small or a slightly smaller group, was included. Yet Peterson and others have had great success curing younger, newer patients with acyclovir, while Montoya has restored people to function with Valcyte.

The CDC has attempted to erase any mention of the infectious nature of the disease. Including successes with antiviral treatments would have countered their narrative.

Nielk

At the moment the groups endorsing the IOM include some people I know to be very devoted to doing their best for patients. Yet those speaking against its endorsement are certainly equally strongly committed to obtaining the best science possible. The discrepancy is about how much can one safely overlook its flaws, for how long, under what circumstances. When and where do the ill-intentions and the manipulations behind it come back to bite? Never? Later rather than sooner? Sooner rather than later?

Why accept a definition which we know for sure is flawed - especially since it leaves the most crucial components of the disease out? It is not like we don't have better criteria we can use. ME experts have created the CCC and the more recent ICC for diagnostic and research purposes. These criteria were created by the private expert medical community - which is how disease definitions are supposed to be defined. They were not limited and restricted by the government.

Nielk

What most seems necessary is to continue and broaden discussion of what went wrong with IOM to all PWME groups so that, when PWME fly the only flag we have, as with the Markey resolution, at least the flaws are well enough known that their details and worst damages will not survive the proof-reading.

CFSAC attempted to somewhat improve the IOM criteria but their many recommendations were disregarded. The IOM criteria as it stands now are etched in stone and cannot be improved on.

I have attempted to speak at length with representatives of SMCI and MEAction. They know exactly where ME advocates and the org MEadvocact stand on this issue.

They did not consult with any of us when inserting the IOM recommendations in the writing of the Senate Resolution.

With this overt action, they have made a public statement. They stand with CDC and the IOM/SEID recommendations. They do not represent people with ME who stand for and advocate for our experts' criteria.

Ember

Would the ME patients prefer to go it alone? And potentially lose all the researchers that are currently studying ME/CFS?
Would “all the researchers that are currently studying ME/CFS” quit en masse because ME patients want them to use our research definition? Before they were ignored almost five years ago, our experts wrote, “The expert biomedical community will continue to refine and update the case definition as scientific knowledge advances; for example, this may include consideration of the 2011 ME International Consensus Criteria (Carruthers et al, Journal of Internal Medicine, 2011).”

In 2014, the NIH P2P Panel suggested that lumping together more than one disease (“e.g., Is ME/CFS one disease?”) may have resulted in inconsistent findings and/or research gaps. (Could Drs. Fluge and Mella have better used the ICC?) The Panel’s original observation was removed from the final report, which recommended “that the ME/CFS community agree on a single case definition (even if it is not perfect)!”

Expecting researches to use our research definition in 2018 is neither a surprising nor a perverse demand.

halcyon

All of the people who are so intent on separating ME from CFS and not supporting all of the recent research on ME/CFS ( yes I said that! and I will say it again ME/CFS), are not helping anybody. I follow all of the research very closely and we are far closer to having answers than we ever were.
Please tell us how CFS research using Fukuda, Oxford, or CCC, where PEM is not a required symptom, could be of any use to patients with real ME who suffer primarily and majorly from PEM and debilitating muscle weakness.

no viruses actually identified, no actual evidence of brain inflammation and so on
Enteroviruses were identified numerous times, in numerous outbreaks and in the brains and spinal fluid of numerous cases. Brain inflammation was proven first in one of the Royal Free victims.