• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Canary: MP calling for debate into one of the biggest medical scandals of our time

Countrygirl

The best article of the week?

https://www.thecanary.co/exclusive/...biggest-medical-scandals-of-the-21st-century/

An MP is calling for a debate into one of the ‘biggest medical scandals’ of the 21st century

A Scottish National Party (SNP) MP is calling for a debate into the controversy surrounding a disease she thinks will be one of the “biggest medical scandals of the 21st century”.

Calling for a debate
Glasgow North West MP Carol Monaghan has launched an early day motion in parliament on myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, commonly referred to as ME/CFS. An early day motion (EDM) is a request from an MP for a debate to be held. While the debates don’t always happen, the motions are good for gauging the levels of support among MPs for an issue. They also raise awareness of the particular topic the motion refers to.

Monaghan’s EDM says:

That this House recognises Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) Awareness Week from 7 to 13 May 2018, which aims to highlight the impact this invisible illness has on 250,000 people across the UK; recognises the fantastic work campaigners and charities are doing to highlight ME as a physical condition which is not all in the mind; acknowledges the detrimental effect of the PACE trials and its results, and the work which is being done to reverse this; and encourages people to go blue for ME across the week, to further bring this illness out of the shadows and into the spotlight.

For the thousands of people living with ME/CFS in the UK, a parliamentary debate can’t come soon enough.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It is a great article. Minor point: they missed a great opportunity to link to the film Unrest:
Time for unrest
‘Being heard’ is what Millions Missing is all about. With Monaghan raising the issue in parliament and people with ME/CFS doing it online and on the streets, maybe soon the millions of people who have been disbelieved, stigmatised, given incorrect treatment or ultimately told it’s ‘all in their heads’ will get the justice, support and treatment they deserve.