• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin B6, Folic Acid immediate effects?

Eastman

... I also quit the B Complex for some time since I started to really dislike the Thiamine smell of the pills, which I interpreted as a signal of my body, that it was enough...
I find this ironic because I think most of your symptoms are typical of B vitamin deficiency. Are you sure you hadn't always disliked the smell?

Interestingly I had a really bad Sunday morning. I woke up very uneasy and stressed and just thought that another nightmare day would start. I went to drink some orange juice (potassium???) mixed with water and Vitamin C and felt almost instant relief. The change in my mood was so sudden, unexpected and so 180°.
I'm thinking the vitamin C in your drink lowered your cortisol level.

I find this ironic because I think most of your symptoms are typical of B vitamin deficiency. Are you sure you hadn't always disliked the smell?

It is true that I never liked but rather disliked the smell. But after some weeks the dislike became a strong aversion such that I just didn't want to swallow them anymore at all. I realized that the aversion keeps coming after some weeks of taking them and it goes away after some weeks of not taking them.

I just don't know how long will it take to truly get over all these deficiencies. I mean 125mg B supplement is quite a lot, isn't it? Shouldn't it be enough some day?

At the same time, I think I probably underestimated B deficiencies. I mean I am supplementing some nutrients for some time, but I guess for many years I was too cautious. Now after almost 4 years some things start to change. E.g. my fingernails always looked like I were an alcoholic. They looked like the nails of poor people that one can see on the streets and it is only two or three months since they start to grow and look like normal nails.

It is so funny. I know people in my environment who act to reckless with respect to their health. They drink and party all the time. Nevertheless they seem to function so much better than I do.

Eastman

I just don't know how long will it take to truly get over all these deficiencies. I mean 125mg B supplement is quite a lot, isn't it? Shouldn't it be enough some day?
If you were taking a B-125 complex, it is possible you may actually have taken too much or unbalanced your B vitamins. Many people on the forum have reported problems after taking high-dose B complex (see for examples here, here and possibly here).

If you were taking a B-125 complex, it is possible you may actually have taken too much or unbalanced your B vitamins. Many people on the forum have reported problems after taking high-dose B complex (see for examples here, here and possibly here).

Thank you. I had a look at the threads. At the moment it is too much for me to process and understand. I started to feel better when I returned to take the B complex. Since I also still had Niacin at home I started by drinking 25mg dissolved in juice every hour or so such that in total I had 3 x 250mg for three days now. Since I had panic attacks a year ago that somehow were related to my supplement intake I don't want to have a strong flush, even though the feeling is so relaxing and soothing.

I noticed that I turn tired much earlier and wake up after around 7 hours.

Last night was again a nightmare. When I woke up my whole body hurt, arms and shoulders are burning from inside and everything feels tired and heavy. Making it almost impossible to move. It feels almost like a hangover from drinking. Funny is just that I didn't drink yesterday. I barely drink any alcohol anymore. Once in few months a glass of wine and then I never wake up that bad. That I think is the thyroid hormones, or maybe too little magnesium, since I also upped Vitamin D again and I can somehow always "feel" it.

Anyway, I don't want to complain. It is up and down. I just wish I could finally identify the causes such that I can avoid triggers or support with the supplements in a positive way, such that I don't have theses bad days anymore.

It is bad, when you cannot rely on yourself and never now how the next day or week is going to be.

Hello,

some days ago my Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate and Folic acid pills arrived and I started taking the, today. About a bit more than half an hour ago, I took one quarter of a 50mg p5ph (~12mg) and one pill with 800µg of folic acid (not folate!).

Hi Rita,
Folic acid has some sensitive case. You have to be careful about how exactly your doctor prescribed to take this. If you take a larger amount, it can cause numbness, tired feeling or even can make trouble in concentration.
Another thing while taking folic acid, it recommended to take a full glass of water. You also need to be very careful about their storage. You should store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do you mess with any of them?

Hi Rita,
Folic acid has some sensitive case. You have to be careful about how exactly your doctor prescribed to take this. If you take a larger amount, it can cause numbness, tired feeling or even can make trouble in concentration.
Another thing while taking folic acid, it recommended to take a full glass of water. You also need to be very careful about their storage. You should store it at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do you mess with any of them?

At the moment I am taking 1000µg a day, which doesn't seem so much to me? Yes, they are stored at room temperature and away from moisture and heat. Thank you :) I didn't know that before, but all my supplements are in the same box, which fullfills all of the requirements :)

@Rita1979

It is interesting that you say that your symptoms feel like a hangover from drinking. The symptoms of alcohol drinking are often the result of induced vitamin B1/thiamine deficiency and your symptoms do match some of those listed for thiamine deficiency.

Thiamine deficiency has also been blamed for panic attack.

I am just reading the article about the panic attack and before I forget I want to mention that I think and/or thought that I had found the cause of my panic attacks last year. I had a test for pancreatic Elastase, which was an advice that I was given in another forum, and it turned out to be really low at 56 µg/g which indicates pancreatic insufficiency. In the same forum I found that zinc deficiency could be the cause of a lack of produced pancreatic enzymes.

A year before I found by coincidence that there is something called Roemheld syndrome ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome ) which basically explains panic attacks as a consequence of disturbances in the gastrointestinal tract that cause pressure on the toracic diaphragm and by that pressure on the lungs and heart, causing a belt like feeling around the chest and the feeling of limited inhaling.

After the test result with the low pancreatic enzymes I started to supplement zinc with 25mg daily and sometimes a second dose. Within four months the panic attacks disappeared entirely and for now approximately 1.5 years I didn't have a single panic attack. Nevertheless, the panic attacks always came, after I was eating, drinking or taking supplements. This is why with new supplements or e.g. with the niacin I am still cautious. I just don't want to be hit by another one. Even though they are much less scary, now that I understand them, I still hate them very much ;)

I am explaining this in such detail because I don't read about exactly this correlation very often and maybe there are others with similar reasons for their panic attacks.

Recently I also read that there is a relation between Vitamin K and the pancreatic enzymes and also that vitamin K deficiency, together with zinc deficiency and magnesium deficiency, could be another cause for an alkaline phosphatase that is too low. Too low alkaline phosphatase is something that I have for years (not always, tests from 2003 show normal alkaline phosphatase) and I have to wait what the next test says. Of course it could also be that due to too little pancreatic enzyme production fat absorption is too bad and thus also Vitamin K absorption goes down, so to me it is not clear what is cause and consequence here.

The "hangover" feeling I have for many years already and it was much worse when it happened daily. What I also have then is a really swollen face. There is a lot liquid around my eyes. Apart from looking monstrous and taking hours to dissolve it also hurts. Brain fog, swollen hurting eyes, nose and lips and a whole body that is aching...

Anyway, it is not nearly as bad as it was two or three years ago.

When I started on the thyroid hormones it was more or less totally gone for the first three months. But then it kept coming back and now I am on a quite high dose but it still comes from time to time but not as regular as it used to be. This is why I see the thyroid hormones somewhere in that.

Too little protein intake is something that, because of the edema in the mornings, I also identified as a possible cause.

I will read about thiamine deficiency now. Thank you for that article. I just don't understand how I - and others - can/could end up with so many deficiencies. Sometimes it seems that it is an never ending journey.

Last edited:

Eastman

After the test result with the low pancreatic enzymes I started to supplement zinc with 25mg daily and sometimes a second dose. Within four months the panic attacks disappeared entirely and for now approximately 1.5 years I didn't have a single panic attack.
That reminded me of another PR member who recently wrote that he suffered depression after being on B12 and folate and subsequently discovered that he was deficient in zinc.

Zinc is also involved in dopamine regulation. Together with Vitamin C, zinc has the most powerful effect in terms of mood regulation when I recommend it e.g. to friends.

That someone more or less instantly reacts with better mood, more energy after taking zinc is something that I have encountered more often now.

Zinc is also among the nutrients that are e.g. depleted in alcoholics since the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is zinc dependent. Insulin production is zinc dependent as well. I also know people with diabetes that could finally get in control of their blood sugar levels after taking Zinc.