• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can vitamin C cause copper dumping?

jason30

Hi,

When someone have unbound copper and take vitamin C, can this cause copper dumping because vitamin C increase ceruloplasmin?

I have this negative reaction after intake of vitamin C (I have tried every form available), and I am researching why. After intake of liposomal vitamin c (based on choline) then I first feel great but after a day I feel very bad. My adrenals have a hard time.

Thanks for any tips / insights.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Recently I discovered that vitC after chromium intake can make a "hard shell" on my head.
I know that vitC is re/aquired for making noradrenalin from dopamine.
The experienced effect can be quite strong (not necessarily bad).
(This might be the explanation for a similar experience during my first improvement, when I ate chocolte, containing chromium, though copper as well.)
About chromium there is very few known, it´s high in the nucleus caudatus.

I don´t know anything about copper and ceruplasmin,
so, I don´t know if this is of any help. Similarily:

My impression from an anticholinergic is
(I get alkaloids from tomatogreentea, only one spoon per drink, without pesticides)
that acetyl-choline serves as an influience how brainareas (geometrically) are supported.
This may go along with a (commonly) guessed task for acetylcholiine for learning,
though it´s only my personal impression, there are no other hints (at least so far).

Many regards!

Last edited:

Archie

Mega doses vitamin C can mobilize lead and mercury , and i think copper also . At one point years ago i taked so big doses of vitamin C that i got sick, it can induce copper deficiency also and same time mercury/lead mobilizing in to blood where it can then enter again to brain and everywhere. It`s possible that it also cause copper dumping ,rapid dumbing, and for me it caused intestinal pains and joint/back pains .

As far i know, body require copper and vitamin A for making ceruloplasmin , so i would start with those, beef liver capsules if not defatted contains both animal vitamin A and copper , i think it`s exellend nutrional powerhouse .

Mobilizing heavy metals is very risky , and even dangerous without something that can grap it and remove from body .

Crux

Vitamin C can suppress copper absorption to a degree, but I'm not convinced that it can cause a copper dump.

Vitamin C can strongly increase the uptake of iron. This may not be good for everyone.

I've had some very painful experiences with trying high dose vitamin C, even food based supplements.
- extreme abdominal pain without diarrhea, for example.

Archie

Suppressing copper absorption sounds logical, if i remember right, i started to feel weak , really exhausted with high vitamin C dose .

Archie

@outdamnspot

I think it was between 5-10 grams /day. Some take even higher dosages than that , i think i had already copper deficiency, and mobilized heavy metals do act as antagonist also to many nutrients also, so it`can also be the "antagonist effect" .If i would taken same time a lot copper/other minerals and also something that bind heavy metals , i may not go sick .

It depends on body heavy metal toxicity & deficiencys how big dosages of vitamin C can effect, and use or not good nutrients sametime, and toxic binders like alpha lipoic acid .

Quite a many way to do things wrong, like i did .

jason30

Recently I discovered that vitC after chromium intake can make a "hard shell" on my head.
I know that vitC is re/aquired for making noradrenalin from dopamine.
The experienced effect can be quite strong (not necessarily bad).
(This might be the explanation for a similar experience during my first improvement, when I ate chocolte, containing chromium, though copper as well.)
About chromium there is very few known, it´s high in the nucleus caudatus.

I don´t know anything about copper and ceruplasmin,
so, I don´t know if this is of any help. Similarily:

My impression from an anticholinergic is
(I get alkaloids from tomatogreentea, only one spoon per drink, without pesticides)
that acetyl-choline serves as an influience how brainareas (geometrically) are supported.
This may go along with a (commonly) guessed task for acetylcholiine for learning,
though it´s only my personal impression, there are no other hints (at least so far).

Many regards!

Thanks for thinking along Percy, interesting to know about making noradrenalin.
Could this maybe explain why my adrenals react?

jason30

Mega doses vitamin C can mobilize lead and mercury , and i think copper also . At one point years ago i taked so big doses of vitamin C that i got sick, it can induce copper deficiency also and same time mercury/lead mobilizing in to blood where it can then enter again to brain and everywhere. It`s possible that it also cause copper dumping ,rapid dumbing, and for me it caused intestinal pains and joint/back pains .

As far i know, body require copper and vitamin A for making ceruloplasmin , so i would start with those, beef liver capsules if not defatted contains both animal vitamin A and copper , i think it`s exellend nutrional powerhouse .

Mobilizing heavy metals is very risky , and even dangerous without something that can grap it and remove from body .

I took a half packet of LypriCel Liposomal Vitamin C, which is 500mg vitamin C and 250mg Phosphatidylcholine.

I have heard it before that it can mobilize lead and mercury. And I have mercury and lead in my body (done a hair test) and I am gonna start with a mercury protocol soon.
Vitamin C is an important vitamin in this protocol, as the role as an antioxidant. I have been a member of this FB group for years and it seems that many people with lead and mercury don't have a problem with vitamin C.
Or like you say, maybe I have some problems with removing it/carrying it out, as I do have detox problems.

Interesting about inducing copper deficiency!
I have tried Nutricology, Liver Beef, Natural Glandular before and that made me very stressed and rushed.
Adrenals!
I often have this kind of reactions to products / supplements that contain copper and / or iron.
But I have no idea what it is. I do have this feeling that this have something to do with my ability to detox it. I think that a good blood test should give an answer. :)

Thanks Archie.

jason30

Vitamin C can suppress copper absorption to a degree, but I'm not convinced that it can cause a copper dump.

Vitamin C can strongly increase the uptake of iron. This may not be good for everyone.

I've had some very painful experiences with trying high dose vitamin C, even food based supplements.
- extreme abdominal pain without diarrhea, for example.

Thanks Crux.
Iron is on my radar for a long time, as I do react to food and/or supplements which are high in iron.
I even suspect an iron toxicity. I guess a good blood test will give an answer as well.

pamojja

I've been taking about 24 g/d ascorbic acid for 10 years successfully against a walking disabilty from PAD, and never experienced any of the negatives mentioned. My serum and whole blood copper has been high normal and zinc low normal. Therefore tryed to increase zinc by supplementing up to 70 mg/d, and also 1 mg copper to keep balance with zinc. Which was a mistake, because copper went even above normal and zinc below. Discontinued copper again and years latter I'm where I started, with copper still high normal, zinc low - despite all the ascorbic acid.

Ferritin has been about 79 ng/ml throughout all these years without any change.

To you remember the source you've got this information from? I only heard that vitamin C would savely chelate heavy metals.

Crux

@pamojja ,

You haven't asked, but I thought I would bring up that copper can be elevated in serum when there is an infection.It may still be low in tissues and organs.

pamojja

[copper can be elevated in serum when there is an infection.It may still be low in tissues and organs.

Sure. But tracking inflammation with CRP and ESR I saw very high and very low levels during the last 10 years. While copper always been at least high normal (in serum and whole blood).

Archie

@pamojja

No i dont remember what was the source, but i can try find it . But i think knowing the feeling of acute heavy metal poisoning, which i feeled with high Vitamin C dosage . I think Vitamin c do remove toxins, heavy metals, but the road from cell`s to out of the body can be long, the mobilized toxins , part of it may end in the blood free without something that bind .

I think i originally started megadose vit C becouse wanted heavy metals out, it did not end so well and i even stopped that method then, but i think i did not know what i was doing .

Archie

I took a half packet of LypriCel Liposomal Vitamin C, which is 500mg vitamin C and 250mg Phosphatidylcholine.

I have heard it before that it can mobilize lead and mercury. And I have mercury and lead in my body (done a hair test) and I am gonna start with a mercury protocol soon.
Vitamin C is an important vitamin in this protocol, as the role as an antioxidant. I have been a member of this FB group for years and it seems that many people with lead and mercury don't have a problem with vitamin C.
Or like you say, maybe I have some problems with removing it/carrying it out, as I do have detox problems.

Interesting about inducing copper deficiency!
I have tried Nutricology, Liver Beef, Natural Glandular before and that made me very stressed and rushed.
Adrenals!
I often have this kind of reactions to products / supplements that contain copper and / or iron.
But I have no idea what it is. I do have this feeling that this have something to do with my ability to detox it. I think that a good blood test should give an answer. :)

Thanks Archie.

LypriCel Liposomal Vitamin C is very good , it`s also good to keep in mind that glucose and vitamin C both want to get in to the cell`s , but cell reseptors tend to give some advantage to glucose , so when someone is on high sugar diet it effect bodys ability to use vitamin C , lowering also immune system.

I feel copper is quite energizing mineral, if take too much i got insomnia , but it might also take time for body to adjust from deficiency of copper and ceruloplasmin , so it may be something that take time, quite a big change in body from copper defieciency to normal copper levels, it cant be happen in good way without enough ceruloplasmin . I am still baffled myself with copper, but i definitely feel more energy now.

Iron might be huge problem in so many people, and copper is needed for iron also .

http://health-matrix.net/2013/07/06/the-iron-elephant-the-dangers-of-iron-overload/

I copyed this from some website :

"The vitamin C in supplements mobilizes harmless ferric iron stored in the body and converts it to harmful ferrous iron, which induces damage to the heart and other organs,'' Dr. Herbert said in an interview."

I lost the link where that was, too many links :thumbdown:

Archie

Are you sure you didn't just confuse it with the caution given about alpha-lipoic-acid?

Yeeh pretty sure, even with my head :thumbdown: . I will try find something about it. I was trying to just say that vitamin C might not really be as safe like it is writed to be, everyone is also individual and some react different ways than others.

If there is a statement that " vitamin C is safe heavy metal chelator " i dont personnally agree with that. It may be to others, but not probably to all.

Science dont even allways know everything, it's good to listen also own body no matter what.

pamojja

One should always heed when one reacts with sensitivity to something. Therefore always best to start low, and go slow. Also any adverse reaction from a supplement could also be caused by any of the binder or fillers.

However, that doesn't mean such sensitifities would be common. Or that the biological mechanism for such sensitifity made responsible here, would ably to others.