• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Full-length video on the historic scandalous medical treatment of ME by Dr Macintyre

Countrygirl

Yesterday, I posted about my friend's Dr Annie Macintyre's death on Saturday.

Below is the video I wanted to post in that thread, but couldn't locate the full-length film until this morning.

This is an important part of our shameful medical history which was made about 25 years ago by Annie

Thank you Annie, for all you did for us! I for one will greatly miss you!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jesse's mom @Shoshana @Hufsamor @Mary @Howard @Gingergrrl @Wolfcub@RebeccaRe
I can't seem to post anymore @'s, so spread this around to friends here who might be interested

This is grimly illuminating. The sound is wonky, very low, but I nuked it to highest possible levels on both You Tube video and laptop and caught almost everything. Those of us with high sound sensitivity will find this very easy to listn to.

I found the equation between the viral infection in horses who display ME characteristics, and the same or very similar effects of ME in human pathology fascinating.

Am going to try to sneak in another tag here, @RebeccaRe ... let's see if that works. Hmmmmm. It did. Let's try another @taniaaust1

The picture is a little muted, dark, along with the sound, but this is valuable information, and I thank @Countrygirl for posting this, and am so sorry that a remarkable and caring woman, Dr Annie McIntyre, has died, and that you've lost a good friend.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

This is grimly illuminating. The sound is wonky, very low, but I nuked it to highest possible levels on both You Tube video and laptop and caught almost everything. Those of us with high sound sensitivity will find this very easy to listn to.

I found the equation between the viral infection in horses and the same or very similar effects of ME in human pathology fascinating.
@RebeccaRe @taniaaust1 @Learner1 @PatJ @alkt @AmandaS

Tried to include ya'll in the first communication, but they were deleted when I posted, which is when I remembered reading in Wiki that no more than either 5 or 6 @'s could be included in any one communication .... somehow I got away with 8, but had to continue the @'s in this post. And now, I'll push my luck and try for another sneak-by, @Wayne

Edit: And on posting this, I saw that now, the additional @'s in first post were back, go know. Baffling .... Apologies to those who were tagged twice, the mysteries of cyber-anything are elusive to the point of cosmic.

Last edited:

jesse's mom

@Countrygirl , I am so sorry for your loss of your friend! What great pioneering work she did! We have come a long way!

There is still that attitude in much of the medical community where I live, but in the 7 years I have been housebound I have seen a very gradual change. The Drs here still do not recognize the name ME. ME/ CFS is being Studied by Dr Jarred Youngers at UAB just 5 hours from me! I find that very hopeful!

@laughin You might get some insight, and some gratitude from watching the above video.

@froya , this may interest you.

@sunshine44 , I don't know if you can watch this but it might give you some hope.

alkt

I came across this video some years ago the mixture of outright stupidity and wilful fraud made me angry then . now I know both things are and probably have always been a part of the medical profession . the profession as a whole has just had 7o years of positive marketing . I wonder if the idiot doctor in the first interview ever learned the truth before his death .

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wonder if the idiot doctor in the first interview ever learned the truth before his death .
Sadly, and proving what a poor specimen of humanity I am :(, I found it exhilirating that he might be dead :). I apologize to any I've offended, but offer no retraction 'cause I'm stubborn, on top of all my other character flaws.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Mel9
I'm so embarrassed that I couldn't think of your user name :redface: .... please forgive me :(. I'm feeling physically better today, but the brain is .... well, it is, sort of, a brain, but running on fumes.

Again, hoping you'll forgive me :nervous:. I feel like a right and total jerk :thumbdown: :(:( :cry:.

Abha

Abha
Yesterday, I posted about my friend's Dr Annie Macintyre's death on Saturday.

@Countrygirl....

I'm very sorry to hear of Dr Anne's death.In the early 1980s when I was a student at University of Bath(doing an MSc )I rented a room from her(for a short time) at Rose Cottage where she lived at that time.Eventually I had to move into University accommodation because of my illness(not diagnosed then/not talked about).

Dr Anne was a very caring/understanding person and she went on to write books and do documentaries on this illness.One day years later I was in a bookshop(South Africa?) and looking at Health books and I saw one with Dr Macintyres name on it.At first I didn't realise it was the same doctor whom I knew but, it was in my mind and I checked it out later.As I had been abroad,I was surprised to hear that she had ME herself and was dealing with such patients.I did write to her and she kindly replied but at time she was very busy after her documentary on TV.

She'll be sadly missed by the ME/CFS Community..May she rest in Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Abha @Countrygirl
"I did write to her and she kindly replied but at time she was very busy after her documentary on TV.She'll be sadly missed by the ME/CFs Community..May she rest in Peace."

I can't quote from your kind and thoughtful condolence because the whole thing posted as a quote. At least I think that's why. Ahhhh, sweet mysteries of cyber.

It was a lovely remembrance and tribute to what clearly was an exceptional woman. Thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us ....

Kenshin

I wonder if the idiot doctor in the first interview ever learned the truth before his death .

Sadly, and proving what a poor specimen of humanity I am :(, I found it exhilirating that he might be dead :). I apologize to any I've offended, but offer no retraction 'cause I'm stubborn, on top of all my other character flaws.

I kind of want him to still be alive so we can learn more about how people with Cfs have "profound psycho sexual difficulty" :rofl::bang-head:

Look this emoji is him: :nerd: ← dikhead.

Countrygirl

That's amazing, @Abha!

Yes, she took in many lodgers over the years and still has tenants in one of her flats in Devon.

We often discussed whether she was actually misdiagnosed and her illness in the 80s was actually the onset of RA and not ME. We will never know now.

Countrygirl

I kind of want him to still be alive so we can learn more about how people with Cfs have "profound psycho sexual difficulty" :rofl::bang-head:

Well...........I will let you into a secret............he certainly expressed his when he got into a lift with A on her own after the interview...............he made a BIG mistake! :sluggish::eek::D

Abha

Abha
@Countrygirl....

It is really a small world that we live in and many strange events occur.I have witnessed/experienced this in my lifetime.Dr Anne and myself were of the same age.

Today I listened to that video again and I noticed that the enterovirus infection(possible cause in some cases?) was mentioned.In 1987 on returning from around the world backpacking trip(including New Zealand/Australia) I had my blood tested through Dr Staebler/London & a Harley street lab.MY VP1 test was positive and Dr Staebler wasn't clued in re ME/CFS back then but preferred to call it an enterovirus infection.He was an alternative medicine practitioner(open to acupuncture/homeopathy/diet etc) and had clinics around London.He may still be working in his clinics(listed on web).

I had found out a lot about ME/CFS in Australia/New Zealand(worked on Kiwifruit farms) and I had met people there who had the illness.I remember too buying a book "The upstairs downstairs staircase"(?)/title may be wrong but someone from Downunder can correct me......I think it was about a new Zealand lady who had lost all from ME and she was explaining all about her life/illness.

Countrygirl

@Countrygirl....

It is really a small world that we live in and many strange events occur.I have witnessed/experienced this in my lifetime.Dr Anne and myself were of the same age.

Today I listened to that video again and I noticed that the enterovirus infection(possible cause in some cases?) was mentioned.In 1987 on returning from around the world backpacking trip(including New Zealand/Australia) I had my blood tested through Dr Staebler/London & a Harley street lab.MY VP1 test was positive and Dr Staebler wasn't clued in re ME/CFS back then but preferred to call it an enterovirus infection.He was an alternative medicine practitioner(open to acupuncture/homeopathy/diet etc) and had clinics around London.He may still be working in his clinics(listed on web).

I had found out a lot about ME/CFS in Australia/New Zealand(worked on Kiwifruit farms) and I had met people there who had the illness.I remember too buying a book "The upstairs downstairs staircase"(?)/title may be wrong but someone from Downunder can correct me......I think it was about a new Zealand lady who had lost all from ME and she was explaining all about her life/illness.

Anne said she discovered that a number of her patients with ME were surfers, and that possibly they had contracted an enteroviral infection from the water.

I remember that the VP1 tests were used in the nursing home I was in in the 1980s. I wonder why they stopped?

Abha

Abha
Anne said she discovered that a number of her patients with ME were surfers, and that possibly they had contracted an enteroviral infection from the water.

I remember that the VP1 tests were used in the nursing home I was in in the 1980s. I wonder why they stopped?

@Countrygirl @Hip

Re your question about the stopping of the VP1 test...I did see something re that sometime ago but i'm sure Hip will be able to inform us re that as he I believe has a thread on this topic.

The areas where surfers surf in UK I'm sure is polluted so it wouldn't be a surprise if that was one such place where it could be contacted.I'm not a surfer but I have been in many countries and around a lot of dirty water so, I could have picked it up from anywhere.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

I was told my illness would be caused by Coxsackie B when I was diagnosed in 1986, but I also had polio back in 1955 and I wondered if that would have made me immune to another chronic infection of the same family. No doubt @Hip would know.