• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS for 18 years, recently diagnosed with D-Lactic acidosis as cause of symptoms and illness.

leokitten

@leokitten Just to clarify, do you think you have D-Lactic acidosis or do you think you have SIBO?
(I'm just confused why you posted lots of papers on SIBO!) Thanks..

Hi @cigana - I don't know for sure, but so many of my symptoms that seem to line up with this hypothesis and reading this thread and research papers on the subject have connected a few dots. In particular:
  • Symptoms significantly improve when on ketogenic diet
  • Symptoms significantly improve the most when fasting
  • Eating meals with regular amounts of carbohydrates seems to trigger PEM and ME worsening (sometimes immediate, sometimes delayed after cumulative meals)
  • I do not have all the symptoms of acute d-lactate acidosis, in particular I do not have the drunkenness and slurred speech issues. But I've always had many overlapping since getting ME and are triggered or get worse with carbs: balance/equilibrium and other neurological problems, irritability/agitation/emotional lability, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and crushing fatigue.
  • Disease and symptoms have been continually and gradually getting worse after entering chronic phase of ME a few years ago, only earlier this year did I find that fasting was making symptoms better, and only last month did I find that a ketogenic diet also significantly helps.
All of this has just made me think what is going on. Why does what I eat make such a significant difference to my ME symptoms? I totally agree with @Avenger I think the medical community is likely making a mistake thinking d-lactate problems only occurs in short bowel syndrome and related.

Gondwanaland

See Dr. Luke White '' D-Lactic acidosis, more prevalent than we think''
D-lactate, the mirror image of L-lactate, is produced in minute concentrations in human metabolism via the methylglyoxal pathway that converts acetone derivatives to glutathione.
This could explain why Glycoxil seemed like a cure for me. Suppressing Methylglyoxal also suppressed D-La and caused me energy overload.
A low Carbohydrate diet can be dangerous in problems such as Glycogen Storage Disease).
I am trying to find out if being a carrier of Glycogen Storage Disease Type 1a allele Glycogen Storage Disease
+/- i3002486(C;T) plays any role in my intolerance to LCHF diet.

cigana

Hi @cigana - I don't know for sure, but so many of my symptoms that seem to line up with this hypothesis and reading this thread and research papers on the subject have connected a few dots.
All of this has just made me think what is going on. Why does what I eat make such a significant difference to my ME symptoms? I totally agree with @Avenger I think the medical community is likely making a mistake thinking d-lactate problems only occurs in short bowel syndrome and related.
I also feel much better when not eating.
Do you know about Pimental's work on SIBO? If you don't already know, an elemental diet could help you work out if SIBO is the issue (it's probably more effective than antibiotics for SIBO).

cigana

Hi Leokitten,
I have a full diagnosis from a Consultant Gastroenterologist for D-Lactic acidosis. D-Lactic acidosis is a more serious form of Bacterial Overgrowth.
The problems are complex and need research. I am rather tired and hope this makes sense.
Paul.
Thanks makes sense. I always remember @Glynis Steele on this forum had a daughter who had an MECFS diagnosis but later found out it was D-Lac acidosis.

Avenger

I also feel much better when not eating.
Do you know about Pimental's work on SIBO? If you don't already know, an elemental diet could help you work out if SIBO is the issue (it's probably more effective than antibiotics for SIBO).

Thanks makes sense. I always remember @Glynis Steele on this forum had a daughter who had an MECFS diagnosis but later found out it was D-Lac acidosis.

Hi, I went through a great many similar possibilities including Glycogen Storage Disease and Myasthenia Gravis. You only need poor motility to develop Bacterial Overgrowth and D-Lactic acidosis, there are so many different causes of Bacterial Overgrowth. For anyone interested in Bacterial Overgrowth, Causes and Serious side effects, please read the two abstracts below, they pretty well sum up. Bacterial Ovegrowth can also lead to autoimmune diseases through damage to the mucosal lining;

Gastrointestinal bacterial overgrowth: pathogenesis and clinical significance
Amit H. Sachdev and Mark Pimentel
corrauth.gif

Author information ► Copyright and License information ► Disclaimer

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:
Abstract
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is defined as the presence of an abnormally high number of coliform bacteria in the small bowel. It is associated with a broad range of predisposing small intestinal motility disorders and with surgical procedures that result in bowel stasis. The most common symptoms associated with SIBO include diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal pain and bloating. Quantitative culture of small bowel contents and a variety of indirect tests have been used over the years in an attempt to facilitate the diagnosis of SIBO. The indirect tests include breath tests and biochemical tests based on bacterial metabolism of a variety of substrates. Unfortunately, there is no single valid test for SIBO, and the accuracy of all current tests remains limited due to the failure of culture to be a gold standard and the lack of standardization of the normal bowel flora in the small intestine. Currently, the ideal approach to treat SIBO is to treat the underlying disease, eradicate overgrowth, and address nutritional deficiencies that may be associated with the development of SIBO.

Keywords: motility disorder, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, testing, treatment
Go to:
Introduction
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is a heterogeneous syndrome characterized by an increased number and/or abnormal type of bacteria in the small bowel. While some consider culture of the small bowel the gold standard for the diagnosis of SIBO based on the presence of ≥1 × 105 bacteria [i.e. colony-forming units (cfu)] per ml of proximal jejunal aspiration, this designation was arbitrary and now the value has begun to be questioned by consensus and review of the literature [Gasbarrini et al. 2007; Khoshini et al. 2008]. Khoshini and colleagues suggest normal subjects rarely exceed 1 × 103cfu/ml and that this should be the defining threshold for SIBO [Khoshini et al. 2008].

Historically, the definition of SIBO is based on bacterial overgrowth in the context of abnormal or postsurgical anatomy. The characteristic situation where SIBO was most considered was in the stagnant loop syndrome. It is in this literature that investigators established the culture definition for bacterial overgrowth and the source of >1 × 105 cfu/ml criteria for SIBO. However, over the past three decades, there has been increasing suspicion of a bacterial overgrowth-like entity in many other nonsurgical gastrointestinal diseases. This has led scientists to question whether the definition of >1 × 105 cfu/ml (as defined by stagnant loop) can be used for other conditions. A systematic review conducted Khoshini and colleagues suggests that many gastrointestinal conditions have increased bacterial counts compared with healthy controls in the small bowel but below 1 × 105 cfu/ml. This leads to the suspicion that the definition of SIBO based on culture is more indicative of stagnant loop and not SIBO, and that perhaps a definition of ≥1 × 103 coliform bacteria cfu per ml of proximal jejunal aspiration as suggested by systematic review should be used as the definition of SIBO (Box 1).

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome
Jan Bures, Jiri Cyrany, Darina Kohoutova, Miroslav Förstl, Stanislav Rejchrt, Jaroslav Kvetina, Viktor Vorisek, and Marcela Kopacova
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ► Disclaimer

Go to:
Abstract
Human intestinal microbiota create a complex polymicrobial ecology. This is characterised by its high population density, wide diversity and complexity of interaction. Any dysbalance of this complex intestinal microbiome, both qualitative and quantitative, might have serious health consequence for a macro-organism, including small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SIBO). SIBO is defined as an increase in the number and/or alteration in the type of bacteria in the upper gastrointestinal tract. There are several endogenous defence mechanisms for preventing bacterial overgrowth: gastric acid secretion, intestinal motility, intact ileo-caecal valve, immunoglobulins within intestinal secretion and bacteriostatic properties of pancreatic and biliary secretion. Aetiology of SIBO is usually complex, associated with disorders of protective antibacterial mechanisms (e.g. achlorhydria, pancreatic exocrine insufficiency, immunodeficiency syndromes), anatomical abnormalities (e.g. small intestinal obstruction, diverticula, fistulae, surgical blind loop, previous ileo-caecal resections) and/or motility disorders (e.g. scleroderma, autonomic neuropathy in diabetes mellitus, post-radiation enteropathy, small intestinal pseudo-obstruction). In some patients more than one factor may be involved. Symptoms related to SIBO are bloating, diarrhoea, malabsorption, weight loss and malnutrition. The gold standard for diagnosing SIBO is still microbial investigation of jejunal aspirates. Non-invasive hydrogen and methane breath tests are most commonly used for the diagnosis of SIBO using glucose or lactulose. Therapy for SIBO must be complex, addressing all causes, symptoms and complications, and fully individualised. It should include treatment of the underlying disease, nutritional support and cyclical gastro-intestinal selective antibiotics. Prognosis is usually serious, determined mostly by the underlying disease that led to SIBO.

Keywords: Bacterial overgrowth, Breath test, Hydrogen, Methane, Small intestine
Go to:
INTRODUCTION
Human intestinal microbiota create a complex polymicrobial ecology. This is characterised by its high population density, wide diversity and complexity of interaction. The duodenum and proximal jejunum normally contain small numbers of bacteria, usually lactobacilli and enterococci, gram-positive aerobes or facultative anaerobes (< 104 organisms per mL). Coliforms may be transiently present (< 103 bacteria per mL) and anaerobic Bacteroides are not found in the jejunum in healthy people. Up to one third of jejunal aspirates might be sterile in healthy volunteers. The distal ileum is a transition zone between sparse populations of aerobic bacteria of the proximal small intestine and very dense populations of anaerobic micro-organisms in the large bowel[1-3]. The epithelial surface of the small intestine in a healthy human is not colonised. Occasional groups of bacteria can be found in low concentrations within the lumen. Bacteria do not form clusters and spatial structures, and the luminal contents are separated from the mucosa by a mucus layer[4].

Any dysbalance of this complex intestinal microbiome, both qualitative and quantitative, might have serious health consequences for a macro-organism, including small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SIBO).

I was also tested for MG and was found to have antibodies for MG, but in the second investigation was found to have no antibodies, but I was tested a third time and was found to have intermediate levels of antibodies associated with MG. It is possible that Bacterial Overgrowth can lead to mucosal damage and may result in autoimmune disease, through 'leaky gut' which occurs when bacteria cross the mucosal lining or barrier and cause autoimmune problems. Those who have diarrhea with SIBO (you can also develop Constipation) can also develop diseases due to vitamin deficiency.

Paul.

cigana

I was also tested for MG and was found to have antibodies for MG, but in the second investigation was found to have no antibodies, but I was tested a third time and was found to have intermediate levels of antibodies associated with MG. It is possible that Bacterial Overgrowth can lead to mucosal damage and may result in autoimmune disease, through 'leaky gut' which occurs when bacteria cross the mucosal lining or barrier and cause autoimmune problems. Those who have diarrhea with SIBO (you can also develop Constipation) can also develop diseases due to vitamin deficiency.

Paul.
Just wondering, did you test for anti-vinculin antibodies?

Hi Paul.
Thank you for posting your findings. This is exactly the problem I have. After thinking about it logically for some time, I have concluded that the only "cure" at this time would be to flood my system with a different bacteria. One that converts glucose into something beneficial, and that would flourish and crowd out the bacteria that produce lactic acid of any kind. I am also looking into a bacteria that converts lactic acid into propionate which can be a useful precursor for gluconeogenesis.

JES

Hi Paul.
Thank you for posting your findings. This is exactly the problem I have. After thinking about it logically for some time, I have concluded that the only "cure" at this time would be to flood my system with a different bacteria. One that converts glucose into something beneficial, and that would flourish and crowd out the bacteria that produce lactic acid of any kind. I am also looking into a bacteria that converts lactic acid into propionate which can be a useful precursor for gluconeogenesis.

The problem with probiotics is that most probiotics don't really colonize, they pass through your system in a couple of days. This is true especially for most commercial probiotic mixes. For example lactobacillus and bifidobacterium species generally are from non-human origin and do not populate in the gut. Although you wouldn't want to be taking lactobacillus probiotics anyway as they produce lactic acid.

Prebiotics might be a better idea if you want to help good bacteria to grow back. A good blog about microbiome can be found at www.cfsremission.com. This page made me realize how complicated it is to really "shift" human microbiome and how everyone's microbiome is unique and may respond differently to different things.

The problem with probiotics is that most probiotics don't really colonize, they pass through your system in a couple of days. This is true especially for most commercial probiotic mixes. For example lactobacillus and bifidobacterium species generally are from non-human origin and do not populate in the gut. Although you wouldn't want to be taking lactobacillus probiotics anyway as they produce lactic acid.

Prebiotics might be a better idea if you want to help good bacteria to grow back. A good blog about microbiome can be found at www.cfsremission.com. This page made me realize how complicated it is to really "shift" human microbiome and how everyone's microbiome is unique and may respond differently to different things.

I agree with you 100%.
We must remember that the prebiotic is the bacteria's food, and in the case of bacillus strains, the prebiotics are already inside us. It's the lactic acid. Our bodies already produce enough of it every time we move our muscles.

in the case of bacillus strains, the prebiotics are already inside us. It's the lactic acid.

I must apologize... I have not found any studies to back this statement up so I must conclude that it is likely untrue. I know that there are strains of bacteria that utilize lactic acid and convert it into something else. Farmers use them on livestock all the time to prevent metabolic acidocis when an animal is swiched over from grass to grain feed. I dont know why I thought it was bacillus. I actually found one bacillus strain thad is lactic acid formimg:

- Bacillus Coagulans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_coagulans

not something someone with lactic acidosis would ever want to take.

As for the lactic acid utilizing bacteria that are used in livestock. They might be very important to someone with lactic acidosis. I am willing to be a guinea pig here and provide the community with before and after lactic acid test results. We need to come together and form a list of lactic acid utilizing bacteria (LUB).

Last edited:

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Hi Paul, thanks for your informative posts.

You mention being assessed for D-la after confirmation of bacterial overgrowth, do you know what D-la investigations are possible?

You basically described my situation. I became progressively intolerant to carbs with postprandial GI complaints & significant reactive hypoglycemia. SIBO confirmed on hydrogen test (clear twin peak). Massive improvement on rifaxamin, massive improvement on ketogenic (very low carb) diet with zero refined sugar. Immediate relapse of symptoms from just the smallest amounts of processed sugar etc.

Interestingly I also had a very highly elevated blood lactate test recently, drawn shortly after lunch. However I believe that the test only reports L-lactate. Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Ryan

I also have elevated L-lactate in blood, interesting. R u still doing keto? Was wondering if i shud try it

cigana

Hi Cigana, can Glynis Steele be contacted? How is her daughter doing and how are her symptoms controlled?

Paul.
No idea, you could try sending a PM, I don't remember if her treatment was described in her posts.

Avenger

I also have elevated L-lactate in blood, interesting. R u still doing keto? Was wondering if i shud try it

WARNING TO ALL MEMBERS BELOW CONCERNING SERIOUS BACTERIAL RESISTANCE IN FOOD PRODUCTS DUE TO FARMERS USING OUR LAST DITCH ANTIBIOTICS FOR ANIMALS. REPORT BELOW. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL MEMBERS.

Hi Ray,
my symptoms start up after only 2/3 days using Carbohydrates.

If you have a number of the similar symptoms that I have reported you need to find a D-Lactic Consultant as quickly as possible. You are still at risk and eventually the Bacteria will gain Resistance to Antibiotics which I feel may make the situation worse long term, because the same antibiotics will decimate good Bacteria and lead to increasing levels of Overgrowth or to different combinations of Overgrowth, due to opportunistic Bacteria.

I have already written concerning Policing of the Gut and the main problem is finding out why and how the natural Gut Flora has been compromised. D-La and Bacterial overgrowth may cease after antibiotic use or persist for life.

Where are you based? I live in Cheltenham. You need to ask for a D-Lactic Gastrointestinal Consultant, one who has treated D-La. It is a complex problem and it may be that antibiotics may be the only way at present until more is understood about Bacterial Overgrowth, D-La and how we maintain Gut Flora balance and can repair the damage. I feel that it is like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and the use of antibiotics is not without repercussions which I have reported below.

URGENT WARNING TO ALL MEMBERS!

Most recently Chicken and Pork have been found to contain high levels of Bacteria Resistant to our last ditch/hope Antibiotics due to farmers using these antibiotics on farm animals, because farmers particularly in the UK have been using the antibiotics on pigs to stop diarrhea in early weaning (to obtain early meat!).

China have banned the use of these antibiotics and practices, but not in the UK! Chickens are also carrying Resistant Bacteria and some are Resistant to the last antibiotics that we have to rely on.

Further research has shown that some genes in the air may carry Resistant Information in DNA reported as found on farms and in parks, but this needs to be verified (Report; Daily Mail, 28th August 2018). If this is true then resistance can be carried in Viruses.......

It may already be too late but we need to petition the health and agriculture ministers. Please bombard these ministers and chief medical officer with emails!!! Farmers must stop these practices in the UK and every measure taken to reverse or at least slow these problems.

We and all our children are at risk. Please be careful with all Chicken, Pork and Meat products. Once infected with these Resistant Bacteria there may be no way to treat an infection. Cooked meat is not a risk as long as fully cooked through. Please do not handle meat products directly and use antibacterial products. The sooner we act the longer we will keep MRSA and untreatable infections at bay.

I had warned the chief medical officer nearly two years ago, when I had found that D-La and Bacterial Overgrowth may be due to the over use of antibiotics particularly in agriculture, but no investigation was ever made concerning Bacterial Overgrowth as a side effect of antibiotics. My belief is that certain antibiotics and other possible contributing factors can Select for Bacterial Overgrowth including D-Lactic acidosis although there may be a number of other contributing factors.

All meat products except free range will have small quantities of antibiotics within the tissue and this will educate Bacteria that rely on chance mutation to evolve resistance through a selective evolutionary process.

Once this crosses into cattle, even milk may be infected. The repercussions are beyond my ability to calculate. Raw Meat given to dogs may pass the infections and will be passed on to owners and children.

Patients suffering from D-Lactic acidosis who become dependent on meat products.....

It is beginning to sound like the final track from the Planet of the Apes where Charlton Heston shouts ''God Damn you all to Hell!'' at the end of the film after realizing that man had nuked the planet.

My apologies, Paul.

Avenger

Hi @cigana - I don't know for sure, but so many of my symptoms that seem to line up with this hypothesis and reading this thread and research papers on the subject have connected a few dots. In particular:
  • Symptoms significantly improve when on ketogenic diet
  • Symptoms significantly improve the most when fasting
  • Eating meals with regular amounts of carbohydrates seems to trigger PEM and ME worsening (sometimes immediate, sometimes delayed after cumulative meals)
  • I do not have all the symptoms of acute d-lactate acidosis, in particular I do not have the drunkenness and slurred speech issues. But I've always had many overlapping since getting ME and are triggered or get worse with carbs: balance/equilibrium and other neurological problems, irritability/agitation/emotional lability, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and crushing fatigue.
  • Disease and symptoms have been continually and gradually getting worse after entering chronic phase of ME a few years ago, only earlier this year did I find that fasting was making symptoms better, and only last month did I find that a ketogenic diet also significantly helps.

Hi, I thought that you might like this from someone called Lassesen. You have all seen the first two passages, but please read on. For me it stands to reason that the medical community who have patients with neurological symptoms should be looking for something like D-Lactic acidosis which causes fluctuating levels of the neurotoxin D-Lactic acid. D-Lactic acidosis is a variant of SIBO and I firmly believe that there are a number of variants and combinations of Overgrowth which may explain variations and similarities of symptoms. Having D-Lactic acidosis would not preclude from having SIBO. D-Lactic acidosis can coincide with other forms of Bacterial Overgrowth. Antibiotics may help in the short term, but they will eventually lead to further damage of Gut Biosis. Lassesen suggests using Metronidazole followed by any form of E.Coli Probiotic which has been used before to cure a range of Gastrointestinal disease. A Fecal Transplant may be a better option in providing a more diverse balanced biosis.

Approaches to D-Lactic Acidosis
My last post cites a 2009 article that found:

“Faecal microbial flora of CFS patients and control subjects. The mean viable count of the total aerobic microbial flora for the CFS group (1.93×108 cfu/g) was significantly higher than the control group (1.09×108 cfu/g) (p<0.001). There was a significant predominance of Gram positive aerobic organisms in the faecal microbial flora of CFS patients. …This study confirms the previous observation (22), and those reported by other investigators (23) that there was a marked alteration of faecal microbial flora in a sub-group of CFS patients….. In this study the mean total count for Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp. for the CFS group was 52% of the total aerobic intestinal flora, which is significantly higher than the 12%seen in the control subjects (p<0.01). ” largely old hat to readers of this blog, a microbiome dysfunction.

But the study went on to some new interesting stuff, a possible mechanism:

“In this study the NMR-based metabolic profiles of the three intestinal micro-organisms, E. faecalis., S. sanguinis. and E. coli showed that the Gram positive bacteria (Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp.) produce more lactic acid than the Gram negative E. coli. Not surprisingly, these Gram positive bacteria were shown to lower the ambient pH of their environment in vitro as compared to that of E. coli. This suggests that when Enterococcus and Streptococcus spp. colonization in the intestinal tract is increased, the heightened intestinal permeability caused by increased lactic acid production may facilitate higher absorption of D-lactic acid into the bloodstream, henceforth perpetuating the symptoms of D-lactic acidosis. Increased intestinal permeability is also associated with endotoxin release from Gram negative enterobacteria, leading to inflammation, immune activation and oxidative stress, which are cardinal features in a large subset of CFS patients

This ties in well with observations, for example, some people getting relief by various breathing techniques intended to alter pH of the stomach and intestines.

So, putting on the blinkers and focusing solely on the overgrowth of Enterococcus and Streptococcus, how can someone impact this without getting antibiotics (in some countries, prescribing antibiotics for a condition that is not recognized as needing them, can cost a MD their license)?

• “Among the plants chloroform and isoamyl alcohol extracts of Cumin ( Cuminum cyminum), Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) and Turmeric (Curcuma long Linn) had significant effect against … Streptococcus pyogenes” [2013]
  • “Cortex phellodendri showed antimicrobial activity against Streptococcus mutans, while Radix et rhizoma rhei was effective against Streptococcus mitis and Streptococcus sanguis. Fructus armeniaca mume had inhibitory effects againstStreptococcus mitis, Streptococcus sanguis, Streptococcus mutans and Porphyromonas gingivalis in vitro.” [2010] – most of these are Chinese/Japanese medicinal herbs
  • “eight herbal extracts could inhibit the growth of Streptococcus sanguinis. Jasmine, jiaogulan, and lemongrass were the most potent,” [2008]
  • ” (common Fig) F. carica and (Olive leaf) Olea europaea leaves inhibited growth of… Streptococcus pyogenes” [2011]
  • “onion could inhibit E. coli, … Streptococcus faecalis [1985] – not recommended because of impact on E.coli
  • ” Lemongrass, oregano and bay inhibited all organisms” [1999]
  • “especially those of Origanum glandulosum and (Mediterranean thyme) Thymbra capitata with interesting minimum inhibitory concentration, biofilm inhibitory concentration, and biofilm eradication concentration values” [2014]
Early post on treating Enterococcus cites: Azadirachta indica, Ocimum tenuiflorum, Monolaurin. Streptococcus is associated with excessive histamine, see earlier post. MedScape Article reveal no effective accepted treatment. A fuller article is (here JASN).

Brain Fog etc caused by lactic-acid
Examining clinical similarities between myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and D-lactic acidosis: a systematic review [2017]

cites:

• “Higher levels of d-lactate producing bacteria (such as Streptococcus and Enterococcus) have been identified in stool samples from patients with ME/CFS “
  • Shared with acidosis and ME/CFS “B1. Encephalopathy/Mental confusion/disorientation/dazed/Concentration difficulties/Slow processing and responding to questions/slow speech
    B2. Headaches/Muscle pain
    B3. Drowsiness/sleepiness/somnolence
    B4a. Blurred vision
    B4b. Weakness/hypotonic (lowered muscle tone)/flaccidity/impaired gait (staggering/wide/ataxic/unsteady/instability)/ataxia (movement and co-ordination difficulties)/impaired balance”
Antibiotic Approach
The prime bacteria to reduce are Enterococcus and Streptococcus. After the antibiotic, you want to have E.Coli back fill the spaces created by the above being killed.

Probiotic approach
“… Recently, considerable progress has been made in the isolation of these strictly anaerobic butyric acid-producing bacteria from the human gut. It has been shown … that lactic acid, produced in vitro by lactic acid bacteria, is used by some strictly anaerobic butyrate-producing bacteria of clostridial cluster XIVa for the production of high concentrations of butyric acid (Louis & Flint, 2009). This mechanism is called cross-feeding …” [Source]

This implies that miyarisan (clostridium-butyricum) should be of benefit.

E.coli probiotics (symbioflor-2, mutaflor) will displace the high producers and produce a lot less (around 2%) of what the high producers do.

“Lactomin[300 mg Lactobacillus acidophilus, 300 mg Bifidobacterium longum] was discontinued, and she was treated with sodium bicarbonate and oral antibiotics. The probiotics the patient had taken were likely the cause of D-lactic acidosis ” [2010]

Supplement Approach – Thiamine (Vitamin B1) and NAC
100 mg every 12 hours is reported to reverse this for other conditions.

• “Thiamine replenishment at intravenous doses of 100 mg every 12 h resolved lactic acidosis and improved the clinical condition in 3 patients.” [1997]
B1 (at sufficient high dosages) have had major improvement of symptoms. See these posts also:

“We concluded that the patient had metabolic acidosis induced by accumulation of 5-oxoproline. We modified her antibiotic treatment, administered acetylcysteine (NAC), and her acidosis resolved.” [2016]

Classification
Cohen and Woods devised the following system in 1976 and it is still widely used:[1]

• Type A: lactic acidosis occurs with clinical evidence of tissue hypoperfusion or hypoxia is likely what is seen in CFS. The hypoperfusion is well reported as a signature of CFS.
Testing for D-lactic Acidosis
This is a specialized test that is usually not done [Mayo Clinic] “Routine lactic acid determinations in blood will not reveal abnormalities because most lactic acid assays measure only L-lactate. Accordingly, D-lactate analysis must be specifically requested (eg, DLAC / D-Lactate, Plasma). ”

Word on Likely Dosage

The last article cited an article treating it. I noticed that often there was very high dosages. My gut feeling (no evidence to back it up) is that for any of the above, we may well be talking 8 – 16 “00” capsules per day of each one, with a possible change of the herb/spice every 7 days. Remember we are talking about reducing from 52% to 12%, not a walk in the park.

As always, consult with your knowledgable medical professional before starting or changing supplements.

Probiotics to avoid
L. delbrueckii bulgaricus (ATC 11842) has a 26:7 ration of D-Lactic acid to L-Lactic Acid [Source]

Bottom Line
“Management includes correction of metabolic acidosis by intravenous bicarbonate, restriction of carbohydrates or fasting, and antibiotics to eliminate intestinal bacteria that produce D-lactic acid.” [2017]

“Main treatments are: 1) changing the abnormal intestinal flora with the administration of oral antibiotics, 2) attempt to diminish the quantity of substrate for intestinal fermentation by using the low-carbohydrate diet or enteral formulas containing fructose or starch instead of glucose as the main source of carbohydrate, 3) correction of the underlying abnormality by reanastomosing the intestine in case of intestinal bypass, 4) nonspecific therapy of acidosis with high doses of bicarbonate, 5) correction of the acidosis and simultaneous clearance of D-lactate with hemodialysis3, 4). Antibiotics control symptoms and prevent recurrence of the syndrome in most patients, but in some patients acidosis recurs despite the antibiotic use. Antibiotics that have been tried include neomycin, vancomycin, ampicillin, kanamycin, and metronidazole. The optimum duration of antibiotic therapy is uncertain because the symptoms may recur in a few days after discontinuation of antibiotics in some patients, while others may remain without symptoms for several years in the absence of oral antibiotics4).” [2006]

B1, NAC and sodium bicarbonate taken together are a likely good starting point. Of the antibiotics listed above, I would opt for metronidazole because of the positive results reported in surveys of CFS patients, Probiotics would be any E.Coli probiotic. Any (or multiple) of the above herbs.

Insights from 100 Years of Research with Probiotic E. Coli
Trudy M. Wassenaar
corrauth.gif

Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Go to:
Abstract
A century ago, Alfred Nissle discovered that intentional intake of particular strains of Escherichia coli could treat patients suffering from infectious diseases. Since then, one of these strains became the most frequently used probiotic E. coli in research and was applied to a variety of human conditions. Here, properties of that E. coli Nissle 1917 strain are compared with other commercially available E. coli probiotic strains, with emphasis on their human applications. A literature search formed the basis of a summary of research findings reported for the probiotics Mutaflor, Symbioflor 2, and Colinfant. The closest relatives of the strains in these products are presented, and their genetic content, including the presence of virulence, genes is discussed. A similarity to pathogenic strains causing urinary tract infections is noticeable. Historic trends in research of probiotics treatment for particular human conditions are identified. The future of probiotic E. coli may lay in what Alfred Nissle originally discovered: to treat gastrointestinal infections, which nowadays are often caused by antibiotic-resistant pathogens.

Keywords: probiotics, Escherichia coli, Nissle, Symbioflor, human studies, applications
Go to:
Introduction
Many probiotic products are based on particular strains of lactic acid bacteria, such as Lactobaccillus and Lactococcus species (both Firmicutes) or Bifidobacterium species (belonging to the Actinobacteria). Other genera of bacteria (and even yeast species) are also used for probiotic applications, including Escherichia coli, a member of the Gammaproteobacteria. This working horse of bacteriology is not only the most frequently studied bacterial species on the planet but also a rather complicated one, since it includes both commensal and pathogenic strains whose genomes can widely vary in size and gene content [1].

That E. coli is chosen as a probiotic would be in line with its presumed ubiquitous presence in the gut. But how often is E. coli actually present in a human gut, in what numbers, and is it a “major player” in that environment? Despite a plethora of data available on this species, these data are not easy to find. In his book on normal human microflora, Tannock describes that E. coli is typically found in the ileum (the last third of the small bowel) as well as in the colon, but not outnumbering other more numerous species [2]. Caugent and colleagues describe coexistence of transitory and persistent clones, with rapid changes in the genetic composition of the population, but quantitative data are not given [3]. The colon contains approximately 1.5 kg of wet-weight bacterial cells, while feces contains about 1012 bacteria per gram [4]. According to a publication in 1974 by Hill and Drasar, the human lower intestine contains, on average, 2·103 (in the terminal ileum) to 1.6·106 (in the cecum) colony-forming units (CFU) Enterobacteria per gram intestinal material; for feces (which reflects luminal flora of the recto-sigmoid region rather than the mucosal and villous crypts flora), the average is 2.5·107 CFU/g [5]. E. coli is only one of several Enterobacteria species typically present, and to put these numbers into perspective, these Enterobacteria are outnumbered by a factor of 100 to 1000 by Bacteroides and Gram-positive nonspore-forming anaerobes [2, 5]. In line with this, E. coli is not among the top 25 most prevalent bacterial species typically present in feces of human subjects consuming a Western diet [2]. The numbers quoted here were based on cultural findings, and the limitations of this procedure have long been recognized: a significant proportion of the bacteria in the gut are uncultivable. Nevertheless, since culturing of E. coli is well established, culture-dependent results should be sufficient for a quantitative estimate. It is, therefore, surprising how few quantitative data exist on colonization by E. coli in healthy individuals. In a recent publication comparing obese with normal-weight people, Zuo and coworkers reported around 108 CFU E. coli per gram feces for both groups [6]. Although, in recent times, metagenomics studies provide insights in the uncultivable fraction of the gut microbiome, those methods are rather insensitive and usually do not detect species present in fewer than 105 cells [7]. Moreover, findings are often reported as phyla (e.g., “Proteobacteria”) or taxonomic families (“Enterobacteriaceae”) rather than individual genera or species. It has been observed that there is only 15% overlap between metagenomics and culture-dependent methods [7]. In addition, sequence-dependent methods frequently over-estimate the diversity of species being present, for a number of reasons discussed elsewhere [8]. For these and maybe other reasons, metagenomic data hardly ever provide a quantitative estimate on the number of E. coli bacteria in the gut. In the outstanding, recently published catalogue of the human gut microbiome determined from 124 European individuals (based on fecal samples), Escherichia was not among the 56 most abundant species [9]. From browsing through a large amount of literature, it seems safe to say that E. coli is “often” present in a human gut, though in relatively low numbers, and whether it a “major team player” in that environment remains to be seen.

Despite this, E. coli bacteria are the basis of at least three commercially available probiotic products, known under the commercial names Mutaflor, Symbioflor 2, and Colinfant, respectively. These products have been used in multiple scientific investigations to unravel their presumed positive effects on human health. Mutaflor, produced by Ardeypharm GmbH (Herdecke, Germany, a pharmaceutical company founded in 1970), contains viable cells of a single E. coli strain called E. coli Nissle 1917. Symbioflor 2 (DSM 17252), produced by SymbioPharm GmbH (Herborn, Germany, founded in 1954), contains a concentrate of six E. coli genotypes. Colinfant is marketed by Dyntec (Terezín, Czech Republic) and contains a single E. coli strain; it is specifically marketed for use in newborns and infants and is mainly used in the Czech Republic.

You may want to read the rest of the abstract.

Paul.

Thank you for you post @Avenger, very helpful. You're diet is fish, eggs, meat. Can you also take supplements? Or do you have to be cautious with that?

Can you take carnitine e.g?

Avenger

Hi, I have also found other Bacteria known to reverse D-Lactic acidosis in a stand alone treatment used in Japan in the abstract below my email.

If you have a damaged Gut Microbiome, it can be mild to very serious and I believe the cause of different forms of Bacterial Overgrowth of which D-Lactic acidosis is one form. D-La may be derived from a number of different forms and combinations of D-Lactic producing Bacteria and non D-La producing Bacteria. The more antibiotics are taken, can worsen the balance and increase Bacterial Overgrowth, destroying the symbiotic colonies which we have little understanding of their interaction. Some Probiotics may also make your condition worse, some D-Lactic producing Bacteria may worsen D-Lactic acidosis. It is important to get advice from your Doctor first. Dr. Sarah Myhill has stated that we all need to take Probiotics for life and especially after Antibiotics.

Dr. Myhill provides kits of grow your own Lactobacillis Rhmanosus and E.coli. She has kindly put a free information page concerning Probiotiocs that you can grow yourself. Please refer to her webpage for her advice. The rest is down to experimentation. We are all different and may have variations of Gut Dysbiosis, but using the suggested Probiotics on a regular basis could help or even reverse Gastrointestinal disease.

A Stand-Alone Synbiotic Treatment for the Prevention of D-Lactic Acidosis in Short Bowel Syndrome
Kazuhiro Takahashi, Hideo Terashima, Keisuke Kohno, and Nobuhiro Ohkohchi
Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Go to:
Abstract
Synbiotics are combinations of probiotics and prebiotics that have recently been used in the context of various gastrointestinal diseases, including infectious enteritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and bowel obstruction. We encountered a patient with recurrent D-lactic acidosis who was treated successfully for long periods using synbiotics. The patient was diagnosed as having short bowel syndrome and had recurrent episodes of neurologic dysfunction due to D-lactic acidosis. In addition to fasting, the patient had been treated with antibiotics to eliminate D-lactate–producing bacteria. After the failure of antibiotic treatment, a stand-alone synbiotic treatment was started, specifically Bifidobacterium breve Yakult and Lactobacillus caseiShirota as probiotics, and galacto-oligosaccharide as a prebiotic. Serum D-lactate levels declined, and the patient has been recurrence-free for 3 years without dietary restriction. Synbiotics allowed the reduction in colonic absorption of D-lactate by both prevention of D-lactate–producing bacterial overgrowth and stimulation of intestinal motility, leading to remission of D-lactate acidosis.

Keywords: D-lactic acidosis, Short bowel syndrome, Synbiotics, Antibiotics
D-lactate exists in extremely small amounts in human serum. Generally, in healthy adults serum D-lactate concentration ranges from 11 to 70 nmol/L.1 It is produced by bacterial fermentation in the intestinal tract and is metabolized by D-2-hydroxyacid dehydrogenase, contained abundantly in the liver. D-lactic acid accumulates when its production and absorption in the intestinal tract exceed the capacity of hepatic metabolism.2

D-lactic acidosis is one of the complications sometimes seen in patients with short bowel syndrome (SBS).3 D-lactate accumulates because of unusual overgrowth of D-lactate–producing bacteria in the colon and dysfunction of metabolic systems.2 D-lactic acidosis is associated with neurotoxic effects characterized by ataxia, slurred speech, and confusion, and symptoms manifests at serum concentrations >2.5 to 3.0 mmol/L.1 Standard management consists of restriction of oral carbohydrates or fasting and elimination of D-lactate–producing bacteria by nonabsorbable antibiotics. However, D-lactic acidosis is usually recurrent, and patients are therefore forced to fast repeatedly, leading to an impaired quality of life.

We encountered a patient with SBS who had recurrent episodes of D-lactic acidosis. After pretreatment with oral nonabsorbable antibiotics, we used only synbiotics consisting of Bifidobacterium breve Yakult and Lactobacillus casei Shirota as probiotics, and galacto-oligosaccharide as a prebiotic. The patient has been recurrence-free for 3 years without dietary restriction, such as carbohydrate restriction or fasting. We propose a stand-alone therapy using synbiotics for the prevention of D-lactic acidosis in patients with SBS.

I can take supplements and vitamins, but have to avoid supplements and medicines with Sugar or Sucrose or Gelatin/Carbohydrate additives. I still have a long way to go and I am aiming for a full reversal through Probiotics or Fecal Implant. I will report back if I am successful.

There may be underlying causes of Bacterial Overgrowth and it is important to be seen by a Consultant Gastroenterologist if you have either Gastrointestinal or Neurological Symptoms. The underlying cause will need to be investigated so that the Overgrowth can be reversed. Bacterial Overgrowth and D-Lactic acidosis can be self maintaining through the effect of Hydrogen and Methane upon motility, but can also be caused by a number of other problems including Diabetes. But providing a good range of Probiotics/Prebiotics should provide the optimum chances for recovery.

Paul.