• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

preparation for wisdom teeth and infected teeth extraction under general anesthesia

MartinK

Hi all!
I have worsened in the last year - now Im bigger time from day in bed.
Flu like relapses, inflammation, OI...over all treatments.

One of the things I have not done yet is my problem with lying wisdom teeths, pushing on my 7ths and problem with infection under my root canals on one dead teeth.
My wisdom teeths require more extensive operation - longer time... all 4 are lying.

Doctors recommended general anesthesia and I understand it. Im really affraid of local, because it will be a big procedure.

I would like to get ready to operation - any special recommendation? I know, its better no using anesthesia with CFS, but now its needed. Some tests to check?
We dont have a biological dentist in Czech :-/

thanks!
Martin

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
This is from the ME/CFS guide for physicians:

Anticipating Surgery? Recommendations for Persons with ME/CFS Dr. Charles W. Lapp

CFS is a disorder characterized by severe debilitating fatigue, recurrent flu-like symptoms, muscle pain, and neurocogni- tive dysfunction such as difficulties with memory, concentration, comprehension, recall, calculation and expression. A sleep disorder is not uncommon. All of these symptoms are aggravated by even minimal physical exertion or emotional stress, and relapses may occur spontaneously.

Although mild immunological abnormalities (T-cell activation, low natural killer cell function, dysglobulinemias, and auto- antibodies) are common in CFS, subjects are not immunocompromised and are no more susceptible to opportunistic infections than the general population. The disorder is not thought to be infectious, but it is not recommended that the blood or harvested tissues of patients be used in others.

Intracellular magnesium and potassium depletion has been reported in CFS. For this reason, serum magnesium and potassium levels should be checked pre-operatively and these minerals replenished if borderline or low. Intracellular magnesium or potassium depletion could potentially lead to cardiac arrhythmias under anesthesia.

Up to 97% of persons with CFS demonstrate vasovagal syncope (neurally mediated hypotension) on tilt table testing, and a majority of these can be shown to have low plasma volumes, low RBC mass, and venous pooling.

Syncope may be precipitated by cathecholamines (epinephrine), sympathomimetics (isoproterenol), and vasodilators (nitric oxide, nitroglycerin, a-blockers, and hypotensive agents). Care should be taken to hydrate patients prior to surgery and to avoid drugs that stimulate neurogenic syncope or lower blood pressure.

Allergic reactions are seen more commonly in persons with CFS than the general population.

For this reason, histamine-releasing anesthetic agents (such as pentothal) and muscle relaxants (curare, Tracrium, and Mevacurium) are best avoided if possible. Propofol, midazolam, and fentanyl are generally well-tolerated. Most CFS patients are also extremely sensitive to sedative medications—including benzodiazepines, antihistamines, and psychotropics—which should be used sparingly and in small doses until the patient's response can be assessed.

Herbs and complementary and alternative therapies are frequently used by persons with CFS and FM. Patients should inform the anesthesiologist of any and all such therapies, and they are advised to withhold such treatments for at least a week prior to surgery, if possible.

Of most concern are:

•  garlic, gingko, and ginseng (which increase bleeding by inhibiting platelet aggregation);

•  ephedra or ma huang (may cause hemodynamic instability, hypertension, tachycardia, or arrhythmia),

•  kava and valerian (increase sedation),
 St. John's Wort (multiple pharmacological interactions due to induction of Cytochrome P450 enzymes), and

Echinacea (allergic reactions and possible immunosuppression with long term use).

The American Society of Anesthesiologists recommends that all herbal medications be discontinued 2-3 weeks before an elective procedure. Stopping kava may trigger withdrawal, so this herbal (also known as awa, kawa, and intoxicating pep- per) should be tapered over 2-3 days.

Finally, HPGA Axis Suppression is almost universally present in persons with CFS, but rarely suppresses cortisol production enough to be problematic. Seriously ill patients might be screened, however, with a 24 hour urine free cortisol level (spot or random specimens are usually normal) or Cortrosyn stimulation test, and provided cortisol supplementation if warranted. Those patients who are being supplemented with cortisol should have their doses doubled or tripled before and after surgery.

Summary Recommendations

•  Insure that serum magnesium and potassium levels are adequate
  •  Hydrate the patient prior to surgery
  •  Use catecholamines, sympathomimetics, vasodilators, and hypotensive agents with caution
  •  Avoid histamine-releasing anesthetic and muscle-relaxing agents if possible
  •  Use sedating drugs sparingly
  •  Ask about herbs and supplements, and advise patients to taper off such therapies at least one week before surgery
  •  Consider cortisol supplementation in patients who are chronically on steroid medications or who are seriously ill
  •  Relapses are not uncommon following major operative procedures, and healing is said to be slow but there is no data to support this contention

Hope this is helpful!

Wishful

I had my wisdom teeth out with local anesthetic; no issues. Some of the teeth were clubrooted, so it took quite a bit of pulling. My jaw was certainly sore the next day, but there wasn't any pain during the procedure. Local worked very well. If the doctor insists that general is required, and not just for the anestheologist's sports car payments, that's a different matter. I'd still want to get responses from other people who have had similar extractions to see if it really is recommended. Maybe you could ask another dentist or two for their opinions?

geraldt52

I also had my impacted wisdom teeth pulled with only local anesthetic, though it was many years ago, before I had ME/CFS. It was no picnic, but neither was it a problem. If you're really squeamish about dental work in general, general anesthesia might be the best call. The biggest disadvantage that I can see with local anesthetic is that most dentists want to do just one side at a time, for good reason, so you get to repeat the process after a couple of weeks. If I were doing it all over, I'd still opt for just local anesthetic...if you can find a dentist who will still do it.

Moof

I had badly impacted wisdom teeth out under local, each of which took well over an hour to drill out and had to be done in hospital. It was a bit boring, specially for the poor dentist (she could barely straighten up after bending over me for that long!), but I had no major ill-effects. I prefer anaesthetics without adrenaline, as they crash my blood pressure and makes me pass out; this means the numbing effect isn't as profound, so she had to keep topping me up as the procedure went on.

If you decide on a general anaesthetic it may contain nitrous oxide, which depletes your body of large amounts of B12. It's worth finding out in advance whether they'll use this, and if so, dosing up before and after with B12 (supplemented if possible by some extra folate). Then at least you'll be able to dodge one of the bullets that anaesthetics bring!

Getting wisdom teeth out will involve bleeding from your gums. That blood is very, very useful. It clots and fills the holes where the teeth were. You need to keep the clots in place for as long as needed. In order for the clots to do their thing you must not wash or rinse your mouth out for at least an hour after tooth removal to allow the clots to form. You'll have to discuss this whole issue with your dentist.

When I had my wisdom teeth out under GA I didn't know about not rinsing my mouth until it was too late and I'd already done it. I prevented a clot forming in one of the holes as a result, and it started to fill up with food over the next few days. It is absolutely impossible to get that food (which quickly rots) out of the hole yourself. Luckily my dentist had the tools to clean it out and fill it with some temporary stuff. I don't know what it was.

Bear in mind that I had my wisdom teeth out about 40 years ago and modern dentistry may do the job better now.

Wolfcub

Getting wisdom teeth out will involve bleeding from your gums. That blood is very, very useful. It clots and fills the holes where the teeth were. You need to keep the clots in place for as long as needed. In order for the clots to do their thing you must not wash or rinse your mouth out for at least an hour after tooth removal to allow the clots to form. You'll have to discuss this whole issue with your dentist.

When I had my wisdom teeth out under GA I didn't know about not rinsing my mouth until it was too late and I'd already done it. I prevented a clot forming in one of the holes as a result, and it started to fill up with food over the next few days. It is absolutely impossible to get that food (which quickly rots) out of the hole yourself. Luckily my dentist had the tools to clean it out and fill it with some temporary stuff. I don't know what it was.

Bear in mind that I had my wisdom teeth out about 40 years ago and modern dentistry may do the job better now.
I only had one wisdom tooth out, and later had another root removed (of a different tooth) But yes there was no way I was going to rinse out my mouth. Pure instinct.

No rinsing or you can get what's called "dry socket"