• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Injectable drug for CFS

Johannes

I am unable to use any drugs and nutritional suplements that touch my mucous membranes or skin. This means mouth, stomach, bowel, eyes and nose. So, I have to use shots. Are there injectable drugs or suplements available for treating CFS? I currently use vitamin D3 injections and methylcobalamin injections and they seem to help.

Hufsamor

Not really what you ask for,
but where are you from?

I am from Norway, and many people in Europe lacks iodine.

I was extremely sensitive as well.
But after a short while on iodine supplements (i do believe you have to take them by the mouth, tho) I was able to tolerate a lot more, both supplements and food.
Among all the supplements I've tried over the years, this is the one with most effect.

I even eat some berries and fruit, before it was no way I could handle that.

I read somewhere that Americans are less likely to be short of iodine.

Johannes

I am from Finland. What form of iodine you started with? Kelp or other? What was your dosage when you started. Thanks for your answer.

Hufsamor

Yes, kelp. I by from iherb.
You get delivering on the door.

Originally I was advised to take dobbel dose.
I got better after a short while.

But after some weeks I got a painful throat and mouth,
and I read it was sign of too much iodine.

So now I take the dose recommended on the bottle.
225 mcg pr day.

The brand I use for the moment have 100 pills, and I take one pr day.
If you empty one box and nothing has changed, you can just forget about it.
If it works for you, it works rather fast.

Good luck.
If you decide to give it a try, I hope you write how it goes, for better or worse

Wishful

As far as I know, there presently aren't any treatments for ME/CFS that work for more than just a few individuals. One treatment or supplement works for one, but makes others feel worse. Find something that works for you is a matter of trying a large number of things and hoping that one will work, and continue working for more than a short period. ME/CFS often responds briefly (days, weeks) to some treatment, then stops working and never works again.

For iodine, I have an odd response to it. A single dose of iodine or T2 (100 mcg 3-5 diiodothyronine) seems to reset something, restoring me to my baseline symptoms. That lasts for a consistent 21 days, then my symptoms increase until I take another dose. Daily doses don't help, and might prevent that 'abrupt increase' that does work. T4 and T3 don't have the effect that T2 or iodine does. An abrupt increase in iodine should increase T2 production in my thyroid gland, so I assume that's what's happening.

So, with iodine, taking more, or taking it daily, may not be optimum. You'll have to experiment to see what might work for you.

Unless you have to take all your food intravenously, for iodine you could just eat some iodine rich foods, such as kelp.

Wonkmonk

If a viral cause is suspected (e.g., herpes virus), most antivirals could be administered intravenously, but it would need daily infusions, perhaps more than once.

Hufsamor

I have my doubts wether I could use kelp or not, because of my intolerance to salicylates and amines. Propably a small dosage might be fine. So I will start today with one pill to see how it goes and go from there. Thanks @Hufsamor and @Wishful!

Did you try one pill yesterday?
How did it work out? Are you ok?

Johannes

@Hufsamor, yes I did. One pill didn't hurt me. Today I splitted one pill and took half only...just encase. I will continue untill I have used the whole jar or until I find that it hurts my bowel. If, after a week everything is OK, I will continue with one whole pill every day. I didnt yet notice any improvement in my bowel. I'll write here later on what happends. I would be so glad if I could start to eat more versatile diet. Thank you!

Hufsamor

Im very happy it didn't hurt you.
And I think to continue with a half is a very good idea.
I believe I used 2-3 weeks to feel any difference?
Maybe you need twice as long, then...heading for 4-6 weeks?

Just hope you don't start to react against it, that's the most important thing :)
Good luck. And you're welcome

Hufsamor

@Johannes
Are you ready for the next suggestion?
I have a few, but I didn't want to give you all at the same time.
I've often started several supplements at the same time, and then I don't know which ones makes me sick.

1) new info is available about iodine since I started to take it.
As long as it don't hurt you, you can safely go on takin it, no matter if you feel better or not. Being European with a very restricted diet...guaranteed you need it. And kelp is mostly recommended to be the best iodine supplement.

2) magnesium oil, to put on your skin. It is wonderfully absorbed. I've been able to take magnesium pills most of my life, but the oil made a difference. Big changes for my cramps.

Problem is: if you are deficit, it will probably sting.
You can take kelp some more weeks before you give the magnesium spray a try.
(As I feel the kelp made my skin less sore)
If it stings terribly, you might mix with water.
And ..you can wash it off after 20 min if it is to bad.

I rotate where I put it on.
Under the feets are best, but also legs and thighs.

3) you might tolerate potassium powder?
Mix with water and drink.

Those tree supplements are my favourite ones.
All three are things I benefit from, and tolerates.

If you are interested, I'll give you the name of a couple of things that aren't really supplements, but they help the body to clean.
After I had used them for half a year or so, I was able to use probiotics for the first time in my life.
And I was less nauseous

Last edited:

Johannes

Thanks @Hufsamor but I have this problem with any chemicals that I have tried to apply to my skin that they irritate my bowel badly. I have tried painkillers, magnesium oil and vitamin D transdermally and they really hurt my bowel. I have some sort of chemical intolerance. I put my iodine to halt because I drank too many times alcohol during last week which caused bad inflammation to my bowel, and now even some foods that I normally tolerate are causing me problems. This will heal in a couple of weeks. Then I wil continue taking iodine.

Wonkmonk

2) magnesium oil, to put on your skin.

I have read this, too, elsewhere, but I have not found any scientific study that provides evidence that magnesium (e.g. Magnesium Chloride solution, i.e. Magnesium oil) can in fact be absorbed transdermally.

Do you happen to know any studies?

Johannes

@Wonkmonk I haven't either. I wrote to one company that manufactures magnesium oil who claim that they have scientific studies to proof that magnesium absorbs transdermally. So they sent me these so called "studies". They were bullshit. Not one of them had been published in any scientific respectable magazines. Only one small pilot study and lots of titles that sound important, marketing their product. Nobody else either have been able to provide such scientific studies to me even if I have asked. I wonder if such even exist because Pubmed doesn't have any mentioning of them.

It doesn't mean that it is not true. If somebody knows any scientific study concerning transdermal/topical delivery of magnesium to human body, I would be glad to read any.

Hufsamor

I don't know any study.

But for all my life I've been bedridden with terrible pain and stomach cramping for a couple of days, every single period.
I've taken magnesium more or less my whole life,(with long gaps whenever I got tired of it) without noticing any difference if I was on of off
Kelp made it a bit less painful.
After I started magnesium oil, the cramps and the pain more or less vanished.

For different reasons I stopped the magnesium oil for several months, and the cramps and the pain was back.

I recently started up again, and cramps and pain are gone.

Also, the cramps in my legs and tights are better, but not vanished.

So I don't know any study, for for me it makes a big, big difference.
The only problem is that every time I start up after a longer gap, it stings/ itches incredibly.
I just have to grit my teeth, it gets better little by little

Hufsamor

As I suppose you two has checked English and Finnish pages on internet, I did a quick Norwegian search.
One health page said something like this:
"Even though it's no scientific evidence for magnesium oil to work, a lot of our costumers finds it beneficial "
(Those people doesn't sell oil or any other supplements.
They just help people recover from injury )

Before I discovered the magnesium oil, I tried bath with magnesium, but I didn't feel any help from that. And I really went all in, bathing several times a week

Hufsamor

OK, you've had me going here :rofl:
Sorry about that.
But I did a quick google in English.
And science does not support the magnesium oil thing.
But as far as I understand (I just read a bit here and a bit there, so I know I might loose a lot of information) they question if it is possible for the oil to transfer through the skin.
But they do use band - aid for oestrogen and morphine?
And Johannes gets an upset stomach?
So as far as I understand- the main argument against magnesium oil to work isn't really solid?:thumbdown:

(It doesn't really matter to me, as it works so well for me.
But I got a bit curious)

Johannes

I am not denying that it doesn't work. I am glad if it does for someone. I just am unable to use it myself.