• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SPINA THYR a research tool to evaluate thyroid function, deiodinases activity, TH resistance

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
@debored13 You could do a HTMA to see if you have any mineral deficiencies. T3/T4 upregulates metabolic rate and any deficiencies will be exacerbated.

Also you would get a rough idea how you stand with calcium

For your heart rate you can try taking calcium chelated to amino acids or calcium triphosphate (sold as kids calcium gummies at most major drug stores).

frozenborderline

@debored13 You could do a HTMA to see if you have any mineral deficiencies. T3/T4 upregulates metabolic rate and any deficiencies will be exacerbated.

Also you would get a rough idea how you stand with calcium
HTMA? I strongly suspect a vitamin D deficiency just cause i've had low side vitamin d before and I've been deprived of sun for awhile (family refuses to let me switch rooms to downstairs and usually too sick to go outside). and peat and roddy suggest that vitamin D deficiencies can affect symptoms a lot, including bp and pain.

and I try and remember to take my magnesium and some liver pills for the b vits, daily, but it's always possible to miss something

frozenborderline

For your heart rate you can try taking calcium chelated to amino acids or calcium triphosphate (sold as kids calcium gummies at most major drug stores).
I do remember even just chugging milk has helped with adrenergic symptoms in the past, often milk AND juice, for the sugars and the calcium.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
Also try add
I do remember even just chugging milk has helped with adrenergic symptoms in the past, often milk AND juice, for the sugars and the calcium.
Which juice? Most orange juice is fortified with calcium.

When I was pregnant, I was feeling terrible and by my third trimester I was chugging milk by gallons. I had this crazy thirst and polyuria, and for years I thought it was an episode of diabetes insipidus that caused it but what I could never explain was why the thirst was only for milk but not for water.

S-VV

If you take vit D, don't forget Vit A, E And K. They act synergistically.

HTMA is hair tissue mineral analysis. It can pinpoint deficiencies and give insights into the general state of the body. Very useful

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
If you take vit D, don't forget Vit A, E And K. They act synergistically.

HTMA is hair tissue mineral analysis. It can pinpoint deficiencies and give insights into the general state of the body. Very useful

I've tried high dose MK-4 (subtype of Vitamin K) and it seems to be causing my calcium levels to go down. There's a lot of literature that says that MK-4 affects calcium metabolism by driving it to the tissues but I have not been able to find the exact mechanism of what it does.

pamojja

There's a lot of literature that says that MK-4 affects calcium metabolism by driving it to the tissues but I have not been able to find the exact mechanism of what it does.

There is a huge repository of vitamin K research at http://www.k-vitamins.com/, ordered by body systems and decades published. Though myself haven't it read through, one would probably find something about mechanisms there.

In my case even that high dose product didn't lower serum calcium. Vitamin D3 brought it from below normal in serum up to the mean of normal after 2 years, and it stayed there despite adding increasing amounts of K vitamins afterwards. Calcium in HTMAs been twice above normal the last 8 years tested, in average at 810 ug/g (220-970 normal range; where some interpret high calcium in hair as meaning low in body stores..). And ionized calcium at the mean of normal for the last 4 years tested.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
There is a huge repository of vitamin K research at http://www.k-vitamins.com/, ordered by body systems and decades published. Though myself haven't it read through, one would probably find something about mechanisms there.

In my case even that high dose product didn't lower serum calcium. Vitamin D3 brought it from below normal in serum up to the mean of normal after 2 years, and it stayed there despite adding increasing amounts of K vitamins afterwards. Calcium in HTMAs been twice above normal the last 8 years tested, in average at 810 ug/g (220-970 normal range; where some interpret high calcium in hair as meaning low in body stores..). And ionized calcium at the mean of normal for the last 4 years tested.
Thank you for the resource on Vitamin K, @pamojja!

How far did you push your Vitamin D. Mine is always right in the middle of the normal range and doesn't seem to budge with oral supplements but I do feel better from being in the sun. My serum calcium is also always in the normal range, only ionized one sometimes falls low (but I suspect it was related to abruptly lowering T3 dose).

pamojja

How far did you push your Vitamin D.

Tried to get in an allegedly highly therapeutic range for CVD of about 60-80 ng/ml (30-100 normal range). Took in average about 200 mcg/d of vitamin D3 (=8.000 IU) with an average serum level of 69 ng/ml for the last 10 years. Only end of last year it shoot up to my erstwhile highest of 135 ng/ml, and I now seem to need a lower dose to maintain that range. Below my yearly average results in 25(OH)D3 serum levels and average daily intake of vitamin D3:
Code:
year: ng/ml - mcg/d

2009:       -   50
2010:   63  -  160
2011:   43  -  140
2012:   62  -  300
2013:   84  -  200
2014:   50  -  190
2015:   78  -  210
2016:   72  -  170
2017:  101  -  220
2018:   93  -  160

but I do feel better from being in the sun

From 2012 onward always in the deepest winter went to a South Indian beach for 6 week every day from 10-12AM and 3:30-5:30PM in the sun on the beach without suncream protection, and therefore decreased vitamin D intake. However, coming back after 6 weeks of basically 80 hours full body sun exposure my 25(OH)D always dropped, sometimes even below normal. And I suspect that exactly that inability to synthesize vitamin D on my skin was what improved last year.

Last edited:

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
Hmmm... I wonder why you need a lower dose now, have you finally repleted your tissues? Did it have something to do with your use of Vitamin K?

@Lolinda , didn't you also have some experience with Vitamin D helping your POTS?

pamojja

I wonder why you need a lower dose now, have you finally repleted your tissues? Did it have something to do with your use of Vitamin K?

Sorry for my bad habit of always editing a post for additions after posting, where I already tried to answer that question. Vitamin K could be a factor (increased last year) as well as vitamin A (increased last year up to 25.000 IU, where I found that dose would cease my infrequent psoriasis outbreaks completely). Increased sulfur intake too, since it's needed to sulfate the vitamin D on the skin.

edit.. PS: in this post all my thyroid test results https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...tivity-th-resistance.58209/page-2#post-964787

Last edited:

frozenborderline

I have not been having any extreme bad reactions to thyroid. What I have noticed is that my pain which is pretty extreme normally (muscle pain/lactic acid feeling/shortness of breath) is a lot less, almost totally gone, that I have had less slippage of sleep schedule /more regularity. But I still feel unpleasantly fatigued. have felt this odd helpless/fatigued sensation last couple of days but I don't think it gets worse because of the thyroid (it gets a little better with thyroid dose), more like I have increased my aerobic threshold to the point where I don't get pain from sitting up but haven't increased it enough to be energetic so I'm sort of in a weird middle ground where now I notice my fatigue and how weird it feels to just feel tired

frozenborderline

I have been taking bp/hr but forgetting to take temp frequently which might be more helpful. With bp I haven't gotten any spikes so I don't think it's much to worry about unless I have symptoms, and I rarely have the energy to document all parameters perfectly so maybe I should eschew bp taking and only keep it near by in case I have extreme symptoms

frozenborderline

I've been spending too much time on the computer and don't feel a strong will/feel oddly helpless about it... feel cognitive fatigue. But it's almost like things have "levelled out" because I don't get the swings between pain and not even being able to sit up, and then adrenergic symptoms where I have brief periods of being able to type and write a lot and think fast. I'm more "mellowed out" overall, and I wonder if thyroid has decreased adrenal symptoms

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
T3 was very effective for treating my CFS symptoms such as lactic acidosis and brain fog but eventually it gave me severe depression with dissociative features. The cognitive fatigue and helplessness you're describing might be the beginning of that process given that T3 seems to induce rapid cycling in predisposed individuals.

frozenborderline

T3 was very effective for treating my CFS symptoms such as lactic acidosis and brain fog but eventually it gave me severe depression with dissociative features. The cognitive fatigue and helplessness you're describing might be the beginning of that process given that T3 seems to induce rapid cycling in predisposed individuals.
So you now only use T4?

frozenborderline

I haven't gotten the extreme/immediate withdrawal symptoms/POTS that you described in your blog post so I'm cautiously optimistic so far

frozenborderline

But then again, vitamin d deficiency can cause severe mood problems. and last year around this time I had similar mood problems but wasn't as physically fucked up so I wonder if it's a more specific nutrient deficiency or mood problem being revealed by metabolism improving. Like it's hard to tell if you have a mood problem when you're in so much pain and fatigue all the time. So I want to keep that in mind and be cautiously optimistic about something that seems liek it's overall working

frozenborderline

I know that phenibut and gabapentin can act as mood stabilizers, don't act on GABA but on ion channels, and thus I wonder if they have similar effect to calcium or lithium