• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genova Diagnostics Billing Practice

Do you know if Genova Diagnostics changed billing practices?

Few years ago I had few tests done by Genova and their billing practices were unethical. After I paid upfront what I was told by a doctor would be all my costs I received bills for few thousand dollars. After too much stress and many phone calls my bills were waived.

Right now my doctor wants me to do another Genova test. She said that upfront cost is $179 and I won’t pay more than that. However I don’t trust it. I do not feel good and I don’t have energy for unexpected high bills and many phone calls.

Do you have problems with Genova billing process?

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Do you know if Genova Diagnostics changed billing practices?

Few years ago I had few tests done by Genova and their billing practices were unethical. After I paid upfront what I was told by a doctor would be all my costs I received bills for few thousand dollars. After too much stress and many phone calls my bills were waived.

Right now my doctor wants me to do another Genova test. She said that upfront cost is $179 and I won’t pay more than that. However I don’t trust it. I do not feel good and I don’t have energy for unexpected high bills and many phone calls.

Do you have problems with Genova billing process?

Was the test for which you were hassled the NutrEval one or another? Just curious.

RWP

I'm curious to know if there are other patients, in addition to one specific person (not me or my wife) that I know of who had trouble with that test regarding billing.

RWP
Did you have trouble, too?

Was the test for which you were hassled the NutrEval one or another? Just curious.

RWP
I have a brain fog. Right now I noticed that you asked about my previous tests.
I’ve done:
Comprehensive Stool Analysis
Organix Comprehensive Profile
Saliva cortisol

I think it doesn’t matter what tests you are doing...

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Did you have trouble, too?

I have a brain fog. Right now I noticed that you asked about my previous tests.
I’ve done:
Comprehensive Stool Analysis
Organix Comprehensive Profile
Saliva cortisol

I think it doesn’t matter what tests you are doing...

This person we know was on Medicare, and the Dr. told her that it would cover the rest of the $ for the test if she paid $150. Actually, what happened is that all Medicare paid was the $150 and she was stuck with the bill for several thousand dollars to pay!

This concerns me again because my wife's doctor proposed another Genova test recently . . .

RWP

BY the way, between 1990-2004, we've done numerous tests with GSDL (the former name of Genova) without issue. Some of the same ones you have.

bertiedog

I deal with Genova UK and have practitioner status so it's somewhat different. What I have noticed about their billing to me is that it can be extremely slow. The last test I organised took at least 2 months before they sent me the invoice.

However that is the only issue that I have encountered and I have been dealing with them for at least 10 years.

Pam

Learner1

My family and I have been doing Genova Diagnostics tests, including the NutrEval, for 10 years. I have found their billing department helpful in explaining their practices. Whenever I have a question, I've been able to call and get clearly explained answers.

Their pre-pay program is always the cheapest way to do their tests, and the only people I know who have been stuck with a big bill did not do the pre-pay and lived to regret it. Medicare paid for the test for my mom.

The current pre-pay for the NutrEval in my area is $189, which is a great value for such a comprehensive test.

I will try to contact them today.
Last time I used what they call EasyPay (pre pay) and they billed my insurance $2500 for stool test and $1500 for urine test. My insurance didn’t cover it and it was my responsibility! It’s not right. I talked to one of their representatives from billing department before sending my insurance info, he was rude and he didn’t explain their billing process to me.

Right now by sending test with $179 I have to sign that I will be responsible for what is not cover by insurance. I hope they will tell me the exact amount.

All of it shouldn’t be so confusing and they should disclose their prices.

Learner1

I will try to contact them today.
Last time I used what they call EasyPay (pre pay) and they billed my insurance $2500 for stool test and $1500 for urine test. My insurance didn’t cover it and it was my responsibility! It’s not right. I talked to one of their representatives from billing department before sending my insurance info, he was rude and he didn’t explain their billing process to me.

Right now by sending test with $179 I have to sign that I will be responsible for what is not cover by insurance. I hope they will tell me the exact amount.

All of it shouldn’t be so confusing and they should disclose their prices.
It's covered on my BCBS silver plan. Do givecthem your insurance info and they should be able to walk you through the process. Sorry about the bad rep. Hopefully youll get a better one. $2500 sounds extrenely high for GI Map.