• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will a PCP refill drug prescribed by Naturopath?

If a naturopath prescribes a certain drug and you need a refill, could you go to your PCP to get a refill? What's the likelihood that it would be approved if you have been doing well on it. I'm curious, since seeing a naturopath is not covered by most insurances.

StarChild56

I think that if it were the PCP I had for 15 years and had a good relationship with - and as long as he did not think it was dangerous - I think he would. The PCP I had after him for the last 2 years, I think there would be a high possibility he would not.

If I had to wager, I think that many PCPs would not, but it would depend on their personality and the relationship with you.

Not very helpful, sorry!

I think that if it were the PCP I had for 15 years and had a good relationship with - and as long as he did not think it was dangerous - I think he would. The PCP I had after him for the last 2 years, I think there would be a high possibility he would not.

If I had to wager, I think that many PCPs would not, but it would depend on their personality and the relationship with you.

Not very helpful, sorry!

It's helpful just to hear your opinion. I was thinking along the same lines.

StarChild56

This is a tangent, but this just underlines how vulnerable chronically ill people are - on top of being ill - and that we are almost (or just are) at the complete mercy of whatever whim/mood/belief system the doctors we try to get help from. It is really frightening and can be very discouraging.