• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virology Blog - Summary of Silverman on XMRV and CFS/Prostate Cancer

JT1024

I had to lookup the term "paywall"!

For those not "in the know" like me, a pay wall (or paywall) blocks access to a webpage with a window requiring payment. Web sites that use them include some owned by periodical publications (from Wikipedia).

From what I read, this did not sound good. Did you interpret it the same way I did? ~ JT

JT1024

Cort,

I don't think this is a "paper'... just comments on a blog that is behind a "paywall". CBS will need to clarify for us.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
JT, Vincent Racaniello calls it a review article:

Robert H. Silverman, one of the authors on the study implicating the new human retrovirus XMRV as an etiologic agent of chronic fatigue syndrome, has written an excellent review article on the current status of research on the virus. The article is behind a paywall at Nature Reviews Urology, so Ill provide a summary of the salient points.

Then he cites the article by name at the end. It is listed in my college library database, but I can only get a copy if I special order it.

Robert H. Silverman, Carvell Nguyen, Christopher J. Weight & Eric A. Klein. The human retrovirus XMRV in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. Nature Reviews Urology doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2010.77.

JT1024

I am going in to work today and I have access to most of these journals. I'll check into the article referenced and post if possible. ~ JT

JT1024

While at work, I found that the article was epublished prior to the print publication. The only thing I could access was the abstract. I thought I had posted it but maybe I posted it on another thread?? :confused:

I will check back to see when it is available online... it appears I will have access eventually. :(

Never as soon as I would like! ~ JT