• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kale?

outdamnspot

Just curious, has anyone here noticed that consuming raw Kale can trigger a crash or make them a lot worse?

lafarfelue

I've been advised to eat the majority of kale I consume cooked -at least blanched- as it could affect the stomach somehow (acid levels, lack of absorption ?). I've subsequently read that it can affect the thyroid if eaten raw beyond moderation.

Edited to add; no I haven't but I've been very conscious to avoid eating it raw for that reason!

outdamnspot

I've been advised to eat the majority of kale I consume cooked -at least blanched- as it could affect the stomach somehow (acid levels, lack of absorption ?). I've subsequently read that it can affect the thyroid if eaten raw beyond moderation.

Edited to add; no I haven't but I've been very conscious to avoid eating it raw for that reason!

My thyroid function is low, but I couldn't tolerate hormone replacement. I probably have 1-2 cups of raw kale when I consume it. I'm not sure if that's excessive or not. I have, however, noticed that there just seem to be random days where I am crashing very severely, and am not really changing anything else aside from Kale consumption, which is what made me wonder ..

Runner5

I knew a lady online who went Vegan and ate the majority of her calories in Kale (for some unknown stupid reason) -- and she went from having a healthy thyroid to effectively killing it. However, again, yeah she ate a CRAPATON of Kale.

Wishful

Kale--and other brassicas--are goitrogenic (inhibits thyroid function). I avoid them for that reason. As I recall, cooking slightly increases the goitrogens, but cooking longer (over 6 minutes??) reduces them. Maybe I could tolerate them if well-cooked, but it seems safer to just avoid them. It's not like I have a craving for them... :rolleyes:

outdamnspot

Kale--and other brassicas--are goitrogenic (inhibits thyroid function). I avoid them for that reason. As I recall, cooking slightly increases the goitrogens, but cooking longer (over 6 minutes??) reduces them. Maybe I could tolerate them if well-cooked, but it seems safer to just avoid them. It's not like I have a craving for them... :rolleyes:

Hm, interesting. When I checked my diet using a nutrition calculator, I was severely lacking in folate (can't tolerate supps) which is why I began consuming Kale. Hence, I'm hesitant to cut it out altogether. I've made Kale chips before (cooked for 8 minutes) so maybe that's the answer then.

That said, I avoided Kale yesterday and feel just as terrible today, so I guess it isn't to blame for the crashes *shrug*

lafarfelue

That said, I avoided Kale yesterday and feel just as terrible today, so I guess it isn't to blame for the crashes *shrug*

How long or often had you had it otherwise? Maybe it's part of refeeding, and your body needs whatever it is that helps process folate?

ChrisD

You should check out Paleomedicina in Hungary and the carnivore diet movement, many people with autoimmune diseases are now finding that in fact vegetables are not as healthy as they seem to them and can in fact cause further inflammation in the gut and consequently around the body. If you feel worse with Kale I would probably just leave it out all together.

outdamnspot

Once I cut out the Kale, my symptoms improved in a couple of days, which is interesting. However, I'm hesitant to completely cut Kale out altogether because my diet is so bereft of greens/folate. From what I've read, cooking it (I make Kale chips sometimes) should destroy the goitrogens?

Wishful

I think it's a matter of how long brassicas are cooked at what temperature that determines how much goitrogen remains. I seem to recall 6 minutes of cooking being suggested as long enough, but I don't recall whether that meant effectively zero goitrogens or some other level that they felt was low enough. How low is safe enough for us (each of us)? You can experiment to see if kale chips are safe for you. If your usual amount seems safe, eat a lot more to see if there might still be enough goitrogens to be doing you some harm in smaller amounts. I felt it was best to avoid brassicas altogether, and hope that lettuce and other greens (lots of pigweed and others of that family in my garden) provides enough folate.