• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cannabis & stomach problems?

SmokinJoeFraz93

Please bare with me here guys... Thanks.

I’ve never been a smoker in my life. The ME/CFS set in this time 4 Year’s ago, and since a year ago, I have become housebound with a complete restriction on activities I can partake in.

I have recently moved in to a ground floor apartment by myself where all day I am without music, TV, books and just staring at the walls for half the day whilst I close my eyes for the other whilst doing some meditation throughout the day.

I do watch tv for an hour in the night. (Yay, my brain allows that )

I actually started using cannabis to help with appetite. For the last 6 months I have felt my appetite dropping until it hit bottom recently.

I chose cannabis because it’s natural, but also I am quite clued on to the science of cannabis and the body. I

started off with a joint at meal times, but realized how good I felt and how my perception of boredom and time kind of altered. So I gradually increased to a gram a day within 4-5 months.

I have to admit, it’s helped me with so much. Prickly/tingly sensations when I get warm, mitochondria improvements, stress relief, and also a little pick-up of energy.

HOWEVER... 2 months ago I noticed my stomach felt different. I didn’t feel right and put it down to the meditation.

From then to now, I am waking up every morning to go the toilet at least 4 times in an hour as well as heaving and stomach in pain as if I had a stomach bug kind of feeling. I haven’t been sick yet.

I’m aware that there’s been incidents where people are sick after toking, but I never get these symptoms after smoking. I actually go to a joint to settle my stomach a little (which it does).

Also, I’m not a chronic user .

So here’s my question... Could it be that cannabis and meditation is kind of causing positive changes within the immune system or stomach?

Or by what I’ve described, does it indicate that it’s stirring up problems? I wouldn’t want to stop it if I’m going to come out the other end from this.

But also I don’t want to be feeling like this for much longer.

Thanks for reading in advance guys. I know how hard it can be.

(The most I’ve written in god knows how long)

Wolfcub

@SmokinJoeFraz93 What are you smoking it with? If you say you haven't smoked all your life and maybe if you're rolling it with tobacco...perhaps it's the tobacco upsetting your stomach? If you were hooked on tobacco it probably wouldn't. That's just a thought.
Another thought - could it be the gear itself?....where you got it from, is it pure or cut with something? Even a new "batch" could be different. Esp. if from a different supplier.
And what I don't know about cannabis is -does it have an effect on stomach acid? Sorry I haven't researched it. Perhaps it does if it gives people the munchies.
Or maybe you're sick for a different reason, nothing to do with the smokes?

I could never use it. Twice I tried, way back in my 20s and it made me feel terribly nauseous for hours. No fun.

Strawberry

It could also be cannabis caused hyperemesis. Best way to find that out is to quit smoking for a week to see if it stops. I could find plenty of articles, but none saying how much daily use could cause it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xd5ppn/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome-weed-disease-810

Either way, you could try edibles, candies, or drops instead of smoking. 4 hours high vs 1 hour might be less thc, and minimize the hyperemesis.

BTW, there is vomiting from smoking too much and getting vertigo type sick, and there is hyperemesis from daily use.

I've found cannabis very helpful. It eases the pain from my osteoarthritis and makes my evenings very enjoyable. I watch some tv and listen to music. I have noticed that I have a certain amount of gas and bloating with it. I take it in a chocolate bar.

SmokinJoeFraz93

This is the funny thing, the cannabis & CBD buds I smoke are helping me out SO much. I smoke my weed without tobacco. In the UK we call it blunts. I think the Americans also use that phrase.

I’m going to stop until symptoms go, and then I’ll reintroduce cannabis because it’s reducing the stress/inflammation in my brain, as well as boosting my mitochondria.

My symptoms I’m feeling today is just like I felt coming off Venlafaxine (antidepressants).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I’m going to stop until symptoms go, and then I’ll reintroduce cannabis because it’s reducing the stress/inflammation in my brain, as well as boosting my mitochondria.
Have you tried vaping the oil? Though that might be hard to arrange in the UK. I live in a state where there is legal medical cannabis and I have a card, and I found vaping to be the best means of delivery.

Wayne

Could it be that cannabis and meditation is kind of causing positive changes within the immune system or stomach?

Hi @SmokinJoeFraz93,

I think that it's possible some positive changes may be taking place. But sometimes it's hard for us to integrate even positive things. It seems to me however, that something may be amiss. I'm a big believer in trying castor oil packs for just about anything having to do with stomach distress.

Below is a remarkable story about how a castor oil pack relieved chronic abdominal misery--from a book I have called, "The Oil That Heals". -- I hope you can find something that gets you over this hump!

Velma is a seventy-two-year-old woman who had a hysterectomy in 1965. The surgery seemed to have been all right, but since the operation—for the past twenty-three years—she has experienced constant gaseous distention, constipation, abdominal "miseries," edema of the ankles, and episodes where her gut would feel as if it were twisting in on itself. These periods would sometimes last for hours.

After being seen as a patient in our office, she was instructed on how to use a castor oil pack. She was faithful in following instructions and came back for a recheck in just two weeks. She told us that within minutes after the very first pack was placed on her abdomen, she felt as though the gut inside the belly wall untwisted on itself. Since that time, there has been absolutely no recurrence of symptoms. She has no twisting sensations, her ankles are no longer edematous, and her abdominal "miseries," constipation, and gaseous distention are gone.

Some individuals are undoubtedly more sensitive than others. I've observed those who are severely reactive to smoke, while others are not. Some cannot take medicines, only herbal preparations. There are those individuals who cannot eat meat. Sensitivity also extends to those who tune in to their unconscious more than others. This woman must have been one of those who are sensitive to the healing powers of castor oil.

For she reported to us—and this is the most unusual aspect of her story—that since she's been using the packs, she has actually seen oil in her stools. And she's taken no oil by mouth. It is interesting to consider what mechanisms might have taken part in restoring normalcy to someone like this elderly woman who has been bothered with a problem that has no known diagnosis, no obvious findings to the searching hands of a physician. Yet, for twenty-three years something was out of sync, something that was incoordinant inside her body. And the vibration or effect of the castor oil brought about a normal function once again​

Last edited:

Wolfcub

@SmokinJoeFraz93 Are you taking any other medicines right now? If so, it is possible Cannabis might not go with them.

Have you tried chewing fresh Ginger for nausea/stomach problems? It really works remarkably well and is so cheap and simple. It's safe enough for pregnant women and is unlikely to clash with Cannabis as far as I know. I use a thin slice -about 5mm thick -and peel it first. I cut a piece of Ginger into slices and store it in the freezer because a fresh root won't keep well for very long at room temperature.

Ginger and honey is a good "go to" if you have no appetite and can't keep much down. It will also give your energy a boost slightly.