• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pyruvate Carboxylase?

sb4

Just wandering if some of us have pyruvate carboxylase deficiency as oppose to pyruvate dehydrogenase? I say this because:
I have trouble handling carbs yet also have lots of trouble with ketosis. Perhaps my struggles with ketosis could be due to low protein and faulty carboxylase = what little sugar I'm making isn't turning to oxaloacetate and I don't have enouth amino acids for anaplerosis;
I have a test result indicating problems with pyruvate and lactic acid;
I have low B6 which would be used for anaplerosis to bypass pyruvate carboxylase;
A recent visit to an osteopath said I had something wrong with carboybiotin but he didn't know what/why;

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there with regards to ideas on how to test / treat this. Not sure if high dose biotin would help (although it has helped some @BiotinJunkie ). I know high protein should work but this is no good for gastroparesis. Ideally I could find something like DCA to try and see if it increases my carb tolerance. Any idea's anyone? @nanonug

sb4

Can you try a custom amino powder that you can mix in water? Or IV Aminosyn or a custom amino blend?
I know where you are coming from but I don't think this will be able to adequately test this idea. Maybe if I eat high carb and high protein or amino powder it would be a good test?

What I am getting at is that I already know carbs and ketosis both make me worse. I know I do relatively okay on moderate protein, lowish carbs, high fat. So I can test if this works if I can eat carbs and be at the same level of illness I am on my current diet. Do you understand me?

If I eat high carb and high protein then assuming that they both digest at the same speed (I think carbs go faster), I would need to eat high protein followed by carbs maybe 2hrs later, yes? When blood amino levels are high enough?

Learner1

I know where you are coming from but I don't think this will be able to adequately test this idea. Maybe if I eat high carb and high protein or amino powder it would be a good test?

What I am getting at is that I already know carbs and ketosis both make me worse. I know I do relatively okay on moderate protein, lowish carbs, high fat. So I can test if this works if I can eat carbs and be at the same level of illness I am on my current diet. Do you understand me?

If I eat high carb and high protein then assuming that they both digest at the same speed (I think carbs go faster), I would need to eat high protein followed by carbs maybe 2hrs later, yes? When blood amino levels are high enough?
From what I've seen, you'd either want to be high fat or high carb, but NOT both together. Higher protein (22-35% of calories) and high fat (55-80% of calories) sounds good for many of us. I find it hard to be in ketosis with all the aminos I seem to burn through.

sb4

From what I've seen, you'd either want to be high fat or high carb, but NOT both together. Higher protein (22-35% of calories) and high fat (55-80% of calories) sounds good for many of us. I find it hard to be in ketosis with all the aminos I seem to burn through.
I completely agree with this for most people, either do very high carb or fat. But I have issues with each. High carb = heart pounding way worse, high fat/protein = gastroparesis worse.

sb4

if you have pyruvate carboxylase deficiency, it may be worth looking into obtaining triheptanoin
I remember looking into this a few months ago but dropped the idea. I think it is hard to obtain the oil and I am not even sure I have a problem with pyruvate carboxylase. Thanks for the idea though.