• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Effect of Testosterone Replacement on Endogenous Inflammatory Cytokines

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Abstract
Testosterone has immune-modulating properties, and current in vitro evidence suggests that testosterone may suppress the expression of the proinflammatory cytokines TNFα, IL-1β, and IL-6 and potentiate the expression of the antiinflammatory cytokine IL-10. We report a randomized, single-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study of testosterone replacement (Sustanon 100) vs.placebo in 27 men (age, 62 ± 9 yr) with symptomatic androgen deficiency (total testosterone, 4.4 ± 1.2 nmol/liter; bioavailable testosterone, 2.4 ± 1.1 nmol/liter). Compared with placebo, testosterone induced reductions in TNFα (−3.1 ± 8.3 vs. 1.3 ± 5.2 pg/ml; P = 0.01) and IL-1β (−0.14 ± 0.32 vs. 0.18 ± 0.55 pg/ml; P = 0.08) and an increase in IL-10 (0.33 ± 1.8 vs. −1.1 ± 3.0 pg/ml; P = 0.01); the reductions of TNFα and IL-1β were positively correlated (rS = 0.588; P = 0.003). In addition, a significant reduction in total cholesterol was recorded with testosterone therapy (−0.25 ± 0.4 vs. −0.004 ± 0.4 mmol/liter; P = 0.04). In conclusion, testosterone replacement shifts the cytokine balance to a state of reduced inflammation and lowers total cholesterol. Twenty of these men had established coronary disease, and because total cholesterol is a cardiovascular risk factor, and proinflammatory cytokines mediate the development and complications associated with atheromatous plaque, these properties may have particular relevance in men with overt vascular disease.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/7/3313/2844310

Kenshin

Can you work out how much (Mg) of testosterone they were on?
Also do you know if the body shuts down its own testosterone production relative to the amount of exogenous testosterone used, e.g would low doses of testosterone such as what you would get from a gel/cream warrant PCT? Thanks.

heapsreal

Can you work out how much (Mg) of testosterone they were on?
Also do you know if the body shuts down its own testosterone production relative to the amount of exogenous testosterone used, e.g would low doses of testosterone such as what you would get from a gel/cream warrant PCT? Thanks.

From what i read they were on sustanon 100mg, so its a mix of different release esters, im guessing it was once a week as that is a common dosage of trt. PCT shouldnt be needed on trt as its for life to treat a partial androgen production, so your treating a low T level anyway. Only need a pct if you decided to stop trt and go back to your natural low levels.

From what i have read and experienced the creams and gels are poorly absorbed, only have few get a descent T level from them. The most common treatment is testosterone cypionate or enanthate injection once per week from 100mg to 150mg per week but there are some guys go as high as 250mg per week.

TiredBill

Interesting. About 2 years ago (after having ME/CFS since 1984) I started going into a serious decline after decades of mostly being so-called "mild." Severe incapacitating fatigue was destroying my quality of life. Something had changed.

With a new (and much cheaper for me to actually use) health plan through Kaiser (and my wife's work). I was determined to see if there were any auxiliary issues aside from ME/CFS that could be sending my condition into decline.

The first thing that popped out was my testosterone levels. They were just inside "normal" at 306 ng/dL. When looking at the symptoms of hypogonadism they are very similar in many ways to ME/CFS in terms of thing like brain fog and fatigue.

I also found published papers in the scientific literature that demonstrated that many men in the borderline (low endo fo so-called normal) have fatigue and cognitive issues that can (and should) be relieved by testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

It took quite a battle to get approved for TRT. But man oh man, what a difference! TRT has (obviously) not cure me of ME/CFS or removed all issues with fatigue and brain fog, but since starting it I am once again a participant in my life.

Hugely impactful. Subsequently, I found I was borderline hypothyroid and have mild sleep apnea and have been treating both. But the TRT has had the most dramatic benefits for me.

I currently inject 0.75 ml depro-testosterone once a week. That has moved me from 306 ng/dL up to the upper 700s (near the top of so-called "normal" range).

I did have a brief period where a higher dose took me into the 1200 range and I was very surprised that I did not like the way I felt at that level.

Bill

Kenshin

From what i read they were on sustanon 100mg, so its a mix of different release esters, im guessing it was once a week as that is a common dosage of trt. PCT shouldnt be needed on trt as its for life to treat a partial androgen production, so your treating a low T level anyway. Only need a pct if you decided to stop trt and go back to your natural low levels.

From what i have read and experienced the creams and gels are poorly absorbed, only have few get a descent T level from them. The most common treatment is testosterone cypionate or enanthate injection once per week from 100mg to 150mg per week but there are some guys go as high as 250mg per week.

I too have read mixed reviews about gels, most of the gels say they contain around 10mg of Testosterone per pump, of course how much of that is actually absorbed is another measurement.

@TiredBill It's great when something works isn't it?
Testosterone has numerous health benefits in men, even neurogenesis I recall reading somehwere.

TiredBill

I too have read mixed reviews about gels, most of the gels say they contain around 10mg of Testosterone per pump, of course how much of that is actually absorbed is another measurement.

@TiredBill It's great when something works isn't it?
Testosterone has numerous health benefits in men, even neurogenesis I recall reading somewhere.

@Kenshin. For sure. I was starting to fall into dismay.

ME/CFS is hard enough on its own.

The positive results actually happened so fast (faster than I was led to believe was normal) and were so beneficial that I started wondering how far it was going to go? It really got my hopes up.

Unfortunately, it only took me back to my "normal" levels of CFS fatigue/brain fog as I plateaued.

Still, that was way above where I was in the recent period before TRT. I'm not sure what would have become of me without it. I was a deadman walking.

Bill

Learner1

Some women need testosterone, too, especially those without ovaries. I take 5mg daily and it has helped my brain clarity.

DHEA is worth monitoring and supplementing if low, too.

I noticed something strange: my testosterone level was last year on the maximum level of the lab. I had acne, and the second half of the cycle I always got extremely aggressive. now, 2 month ago, when testing again the level had increased further to more than double of the maximum level of the lab. my libido started to increase extremely ;-) and then something strange happened: the pain in the muscles and joints decreased, also some of my food intolerances. energy raised a little. I have not been at the doctor so far, and to be honest I am not sure if I want to have treated this high testosterone level. maybe the body finds its own alternative way to generate energy and heal itself ..... and maybe to feel a result in the body the dose has to be very high......

heapsreal

I noticed something strange: my testosterone level was last year on the maximum level of the lab. I had acne, and the second half of the cycle I always got extremely aggressive. now, 2 month ago, when testing again the level had increased further to more than double of the maximum level of the lab. my libido started to increase extremely ;-) and then something strange happened: the pain in the muscles and joints decreased, also some of my food intolerances. energy raised a little. I have not been at the doctor so far, and to be honest I am not sure if I want to have treated this high testosterone level. maybe the body finds its own alternative way to generate energy and heal itself ..... and maybe to feel a result in the body the dose has to be very high......

If your testosterone is in range then it shouldnt be an issue and improve health. Ladies get tricky as estrogen and progesterone have to also be balanced. Sometimes side effects come from an unbalanced level rather than a deficiency or high levels.

heapsreal

ok. thank you. do you know the ratio of the different hormones to each other? how they should be?

Ratio for women i have no idea, plus drs take into account for the menstrual cycle.
Men the just get testosterone to the upper third of the normal range and mens estrogen in the lower to mid of normal range.