• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is CFS caused by brain infection?

I wouldn't trust just one study especially on something as complicated as this. is there more studies?

I don't follow... are you saying that steroid spray are linked to ME or rosacea is linked to ME?
hi there, @ebethc~*~* it's my impression based on readings from a while back (--which is to say, not a hard and fast truth claim & I certainly can't cite a source, etc--.) that chronic illnesses with major inflammatory component all increase your risk factor to develope rosacea.....steroid use definitely ups the risk, so my comment was just to caution the person to examine how many of their circumstances might factor in so they weren't toying with that particular fire if there were an alternative treatment. (it seems fish & flax oils are beneficial in both conditions -not sure if evening primrose is ever used with ME/CFS- and also alcohol intake frequently not tolerated in either condition), if you have contrary inklings, I wouldn't dispute them... substantial variation in both afflictions, suggesting generalities can only stretch so far...

keenly

If you look at the three brain autopsy studies on ME/CFS patients detailed here, which each found enterovirus infection in the brain tissues, that adds considerable evidence to the brain infection hypothesis of ME/CFS.
Dr Cheney would agree with this, and he is leaning towards hhv6

Hip

@Hip - theoretically, Equilibrant would have helped mitigate these enterovirus infections per Dr. John Chia correct?

Yes, theoretically oxymatrine should fight enterovirus brain infections, although it is almost impossible to get direct evidence of this, as you cannot really biopsy the brain of a living person in the same way as you can biopsy their stomach tissues, to see if the infection is reduced after oxymatrine treatment.

Oxymatrine treatment has been shown to greatly reduce enterovirus infection in the stomach (see the last image in this post, which shows stomach tissue enterovirus infections before and after oxymatrine treatment).

Alesh

As an update I had cultivation from my nose done and they found Klebsiella Variicola, which is a relatively recently discovered pathogen. I was given clarithromycine, then cefuroxime and topical tobramycine but so far to no avail. My neurologist assured me that it is just an opportunistic infection with no connection to my ME but who can tell, nothing is as it should be in this shitty disease.

Tammy

Oxymatrine is the primary ingredient of Equilibrant; the other ingredients in Equilibrant by comparison have only a minor effect.
I think the other ingredients are just as important................licorice root is a really good anti-viral and strengthens adrenals and kidneys. Olive leaf kills viruses, fungi, bacteria and promotes blood circulation. Astragalus strengthens the immune system and the whole endocrine system.

Hip

I think the other ingredients are just as important................licorice root is a really good anti-viral and strengthens adrenals and kidneys. Olive leaf kills viruses, fungi, bacteria and promotes blood circulation. Astragalus strengthens the immune system and the whole endocrine system.

Dr Chia says the response rate of oxymatrine is 52% for enterovirus-associated ME/CFS patients, and the response rate for Equilibrant is just a few percent higher at 56% (see this post); so it seems that all the extra immunomodulatory ingredients in Equilibrant such as Astragalus, olive leaf extract and shiitake mushroom only have a marginal extra effect over oxymatrine, although they do help a little bit.

Though sometimes Dr Chia finds Equilibrant is too strong for some patients to take, so he then switches them to oxymatrine on its own.

Last edited: