• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1/3 of U.S. adults may use medications that can cause depression

alkt

cause and effect they are not that easy to separate after all a great many people take medications to deal with chronic pain and other distressing symptoms you cannot assume any depression or accidental overdose is a direct effect of the medication.

Mary

Moderator Resource
cause and effect they are not that easy to separate after all a great many people take medications to deal with chronic pain and other distressing symptoms you cannot assume any depression or accidental overdose is a direct effect of the medication.
I totally agree that cause and effect are not that easy to determine, and that you can't assume what is a direct effect of medication. But I think it's very important to be aware of the possible effects of medication, which many people are not, and doctors in general are not very well-educated re side effects. A study some years ago showed that a majority of doctors discounted or ignored patients' accounts of bad reactions to drugs.

geraldt52

... A study some years ago showed that a majority of doctors discounted or ignored patients' accounts of bad reactions to drugs.

Indeed. Even if they believe the patient, which isn't a given, few doctors can be bothered to report side effects that their patients report. Then they cite the fact that there are few reported side effects as a reason to disbelieve a report of a side effect. The perfect circular argument, which especially pleases the manufacturers, who rely on the doctors, and reward them, to keep handing the stuff out. Works with adverse vaccine reactions too...

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I seemed to have developed depression after taking fludrocortisone for POTS, after stopping it, it improved considerably but didn't disappear, which doesn't surprise me, as depression is both physical and psychological in nature