• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What would cause lowered glutathione in this protocol?

renski

For some reason my glutathione levels dropped after being on this protocol below for 3 months, I had the Nutreval done in Feb 2018 and the glutathione levels were low then as well. On the Great plains test the Aconitic marker is high (this was normal on my previous OAT) and the Nutreval has a direct measurement of Glutathione levels and that was normal on my previous test as well.

Changes I've noticed in OAT/blood/Nutreval:
- Folate is a bit lower in blood
- Manganese is low in blood (plasma)
- Biotin apparently competes with ALA into the cell but I wasn't on a high dose
- FIGlu is slightly higher on Nutreval
- My B6 seems to have improved in Nutreval but Cystathionine is lower which suggests transsulfuration is slower
- My plasma zinc remains low
- Homocysteine had dropped a little bit (it's high in blood), but Cystathionine is lower so where is it going, back to methionine?

Supplements I was on:
- B2 and R5P
- P5P
- Biotin
- Niacitol / Niacinamide
- Hydroxy/Adenosyl B12 drops
- Benfotamine (had stopped a few weeks prior to test)
- Lithium
- Metagenics Mineral complex only few times per week
- Tri-Fortify glutathione
- Zinc

Thanks

Attachments

• Organic-Acids-Test-(OAT)-rn_5a11fe22bf1c2.pdf
    722.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Nutreval.pdf
    786.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
For some reason my glutathione levels dropped after being on this protocol below for 3 months, I had the Nutreval done in Feb 2018 and the glutathione levels were low then as well.
I believe that NutraEval measures total glutathione which includes oxidized glutathione so the measurement may be misleading. I took another methylation panel (from Vitamin Diagnostics--though I think that the name has changed now) that broke glutathione down into the active form (reduced) and the oxidized forms which gives you a better picture.

Last edited:

renski

I believe that NutraEval measures total glutathione which includes oxidized glutathione so the measurement may be misleading. I took another methylation panel (from Vitamin Diagnostics--though I think that the name has changed now) that broke glutathione down into the active form and the oxidized forms which gives you a better picture.

Interesting, Aconitic marker on the Great plains indicates low glutathione though so it lines up with the Nutreval. I'm low on B3 so I'm sure I have plenty of oxidized glutathione.

renski

It's not a measurement of Glutathione though:

High aconitic acid (Marker 28) may indicate an additional requirement for reduced glutathione. Aconitase is dependent upon glutathione to metabolize citric and aconitic acids.

robinhood12345

Your vitamin c is super low which is the most significant thing on the test. I used the same lab, and also had below the reference range vitamin c but started taking it before confirming the finding with a plasma ascorbic acid test. I wish I had of done that blood test before taking it to know how accurate great plains test is. I wonder if lots of people test low for AA on that test....

renski

Your vitamin c is super low which is the most significant thing on the test. I used the same lab, and also had below the reference range vitamin c but started taking it before confirming the finding with a plasma ascorbic acid test. I wish I had of done that blood test before taking it to know how accurate great plains test is. I wonder if lots of people test low for AA on that test....

Yep, well I was on about 40mg of vitamin C when I had the great plains test done, I've had the great plains test done before and my vitamin C was 0, so just taking that tiny amount of vitamin C was enough to raise it on their test.