• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it necessary to repeat autoimmune testing (e.g. ANA) after about a year

I was tested for most autoimmune diseases about a year ago. That would have been only a few months after the onset of fatigue. ANA was negative along with all other tests ordered. Since then, additional symptoms appeared such as a sore throat, dry eyes (I wear contacts and have never had a dry eyes problem in 20 years), and other evolutions of symptoms. Often a sore or dry throat in the morning. Also, my wrists are sometimes sore/stiff feeling -- in particular my right hand after using a trackpad, mouse, driving a long time, shaking it by practicing the african snap, etc.

While we originally ruled out autoimmune diseases. However, is it necessary to retest a year later to be sure?

alkt

if you have new symptoms then it is always a good idea to have them checked out even if it is only for your piece of mind .unfortunately people with one disease can always end up with more over time . although what you describe as new symptoms will be very familiar to a lot of people with m e .

Gingergrrl

While we originally ruled out autoimmune diseases. However, is it necessary to retest a year later to be sure?

I think it is worth re-testing your ANA and can't see any harm or downside to doing this. My ANA had always been negative (1:40) from 2010 to 2015 but then in 2016 I tested positive for several obscure auto-antibodies (in addition to Hashimoto's which I already knew I had). We re-tested the ANA and it was then positive (1:160, speckled pattern) so it can definitely change.