• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VIP Dx MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT on Jun 1 !

hvs

A positive Antibody test, shows not the Pathogen (XMRV) but an immune response to it. Meaning............A positive Antibody test is impossible for XMRV to be contamination through the human body responding to a virus (XMRV) rather than a contaminant (Not a virus).

NB: + XMRV Culture at WPI/VIPdx is also impossible for WPI XMRV culture method to be contamination, as WPI has evidence of a new human retrovirus, XMRV, 'budding' under the microscope. Thus contamination is impossible via WPI method as their test was checked and then confirmed not to be contamination by NCI, Cleaveland Clinic and even the CDC!

In Layman's terms, XMRV Antibody+ result doesn't need anyone to verify it, as the Culture did. If your body have Antibodies to XMRV, then it does - end of story.

This is the real take-home message of the day. This test will change the professional-politcal dynamic of the XMRV era.

HopingSince88

Gee! I sent a letter to M.O. Hope she got it!

I am one of the folks waiting for the antibody test. Due to financial reasons I will do the antibody first, and if that is negative that do the culture. I will have my daughter do the same. If either of both of us is positive, that will start a domino effect within our family. And it is a HUGE family. I am sure my Mom has this (she is one of 8 kids...and each of them had on average 6 kids, and each of us had 3-6 kids). We have cancer, autism and auto-immune issues sprinkled all about.

I think once this gets rolling it will snowball fast. Like moss on a rolling stone. And the calls from our docs to the CDC is what will change the political atmosphere.

I hope that other labs get licensed quickly in order to keep up with the demand.

And I hope that WPI gets a decent amount of money for the licensing in order to continue their impressive and important work!

fred

The game is afoot
I beleive Annette and Andrea are there now.

"So, Michelle, we've just launched an anti-body test for the new human retrovirus, XMRV. We're hoping that researchers, such as those at the CDC, will use it in their studies and also that the AABB may start a screening programme using the technology. Could you pass the salt? Thank you."

beesknees

It's Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANNOUNCEMENT: June 1, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Dx received confirmation from representatives of the Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI) that a multiplex serological assay to detect XMRV antibodies should be available for use within the next 30 days. “This serological test will allow our lab to quickly and accurately determine which individuals are positive for XMRV,” explained Marguerite Ross, director of marketing and client relations for VIP Dx. “Discovering who is positive is an important first step in helping to determine how XMRV is impacting human health.”

VIP Dx has also recently entered into an agreement to be acquired by the Whittemore Peterson Institute, and become an integral part of the Institute. The clinical laboratory will continue to operate under the name VIP Dx, until it moves to the University of Nevada's Center for Molecular Medicine in August 2010. At that time, the lab will operate within the Institute under the name Unevx, providing services and revenue to the Institute in a manner similar to other institutional clinical reference laboratories.

"Our agreement to acquire VIP Dx is the culmination of years of planning and sacrifice,” said Annette Whittemore, president and founder of the Whittemore Peterson Institute. "It has always been our intent to offer a wide range of patient services, including diagnostic testing, within WPI’s new facility at the University of Nevada, Reno. The addition of comprehensive clinical laboratory services will significantly strengthen the translational clinical research program providing much needed answers to patients and their doctors."

Finally, in response to thousands of requests for testing, WP Biotechnologies (WPBio), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Whittemore Peterson Institute, finalized a non-exclusive license agreement with R.E.D. Laboratories N.V. of Belgium (R.E.D. Labs) to provide XMRV testing of European patients. As part of this agreement, R.E.D. Labs will receive consulting services delivered by VIP Dx to ensure the Belgium laboratory delivers the proprietary tests with the utmost accuracy. “This activity will help implement the delivery and execution of XMRV tests by virus culture for patients all across Europe, using the WPI technology,” said Carli West Kinne, director of WPBio. “The European market is a significant part of our plan to move the work of the WPI forward on behalf of those who are ill.”

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Wag, Wag

First lady Michelle Obama will visit both northern and southern Nevada to talk about healthy living.

Obama will give the keynote address at a women's summit in Reno. Tuesday's summit is being held at the Grand Sierra Resort and will feature discussions on women's health, finances, and making "green" choices in their everyday lives.

Later in the day she travels to Las Vegas, where she will talk to children at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.

Obama's afternoon visit to Red Rock is to support the "Let's Move Outside!" initiative, urging outdoor activity with children.

Officials say Obama plans to speak with local children and swear them in as junior rangers.

Joining Obama will be Nevada Sen. Harry Reid.

Harry Reid is one of the few Washington Advocates for CFS. Here's keeping toes and tails crossed that Mrs. Obama at least gets a handout on the current state of affairs to take home!

P.S. So if 3% of the worlds population carries this virus that's like 180 million people. That's a loooooot of tests!

Kati

Patient in training
Harry Reid is one of the few Washington Advocates for CFS. Here's keeping toes and tails crossed that Mrs. Obama at least gets a handout on the current state of affairs to take home!

P.S. So if 3% of the worlds population carries this virus that's like 180 million people. That's a loooooot of tests!

George!!! Welcome back! Here's a bone!!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
The VIP site seems to have crashed. Too much traffic?

This is all good news; from my understanding Dysautonomia is correct - a positive antibody test that is specific for XMRV wipes out any possibility of contamination. The only possibility there is that its picking up some other virus but they and other groups have been working on this for quite awhile and I can't imagine they wouldn't produce a test that is absolutely specific for CFS. I imagine we're going to start to get really good numbers on how many people with CFS are positive for XMRV.

I think the move to the WPI was just a matter of time; the Whittemore's basically owned the lab anyway I believe and they need a good lab there - it makes perfect sense.

As to their website problems.....as someone who owns a website - I don't have a clue how their website problems have anything to do with this announcement. They're not redoing the website- I don't believe you can order the test yet.......they're having some weird website issues.

Still, that's a minor issue, they appear to have gotten a critical test down, they're expanding into Europe - all good news from VIP Dx! Things are moving forward. :)

fred

The game is afoot

It's closer to 200 million given the UN's global population estimate of 6.8 billion people.