• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New trial for couples with ME: partner to collude with therapist to ensure compliance

Countrygirl

This is a worrying piece of research on a par with the new Shopping Bag Therapy from Bath...........just more dangerous and without the comical overtones.. Now the patient's nearest and dearest is to be trained to push the sick person into complying with the demands of the therapist.

It is a new twist on CBT therapy which apparently they must be finding inot terribly successful for a condition which has exteme tiredness as its main symptom. ( Not sure I actually recognise what condition that is supposed to be as I am only famiiar with ME..............I have a hunch though..............:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Obviously they have drawn the conclusion that perhaps echos Alison Wearden's failed FINE trial, the sister of PACE, where 'the bastards don't want to get well,' Here they are planing to train the partner of the patient to collude with the therapist to ensure that the sick partner fulfils the requirements. It sounds like grounds for divorce to me.

https://www.ukctg.nihr.ac.uk/trials...offset%22%3A25%2C%22openurl%22%3A%22yes%22%7D

A couple-based psychological intervention for chronic fatigue syndrome

Summary

Background and study aims
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a condition mainly associated with extreme tiredness that can cause significant levels of disability. Managing life with CFS can be challenging, and people with CFS are at increased risk of experiencing depression and anxiety, with their partners also reporting higher rates of emotional distress. Relationships can interact with physical and mental health in several ways.

However, fatigue and other symptoms experienced by this patient group can make CBT, which is quite an ‘active’ therapy, quite difficult to engage in.For these reasons, it is believed that involving partners in a constructive manner in a psychological intervention for patients affected by CFS could enhance the effectiveness of the intervention and prove beneficial to partners. Therefore, the aim of this study is to develop a cognitive behavioural couple-based therapy (CBCT) for people with CFS and their partners to explore the effectiveness of the intervention in a group of 10 couples.

Self-reported symptoms of anxiety, depression and general functioning will be collected at every contact, and deteriorations on any of these measures will be discussed as part of treatment and addressed as appropriate. Risk will be monitored throughout the study, and risk management plans will be made and amended as appropriate. This may include onward referral to other services.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I hope they've also included money to pay for therapy that will be needed to mend these relationships once the trial is over. It seems it will just add more stress to relationships that are already stressed enough due to dealing with ME.

Intuition

Dance with ME
Ugh. Every time I see CBT mentioned with CFS I just get so infuriated. Im sure there are a significant group of us who have secondary depression and CBT will help with that. But for the primary illness itself, hell no. I really wish investigators will stop reopening the psych casket.

alex3619

Im sure there are a significant group of us who have secondary depression and CBT will help with that. But for the primary illness itself, hell no. I really wish investigators will stop reopening the psych casket.
The problem is the CBT on offer for treating CFS and ME is not like the usual CBT. Classical CBT might help some ME patients cope better, but that is all its designed to do. It does not do miracles. The CBT claimed to treat ME is a claim to miracles, and a very different type, similar to that used to treat phobias.

Runner5

So when they have the flu or strep throat or break their leg -- do they just call up their therapist to talk them through it? I want them to have 100% commitment to their BS.

Diwi9

Administrator
The problem is the CBT on offer for treating CFS and ME is not like the usual CBT. Classical CBT might help some ME patients cope better, but that is all its designed to do. It does not do miracles. The CBT claimed to treat ME is a claim to miracles, and a very different type, similar to that used to treat phobias.
True, the premise is based on exposure therapy...because all of us ex-athletes suddenly developed maladaptive exercise avoidance o_O This is a ridiculous concept since we all know we overdo it and pay the price, but I suppose the consequences are explained away as false illness beliefs...we are an imaginative group. Psychology has an interesting way of neatly explaining things for which there is no evidence, and yet the explanations become dogmatic. Apparently, the more times something is repeatedly stated, the truer it is. And yes, I'm being facetious here.

I feel sorry for the patients who are going to be participants. In the greater scheme of things, however, maybe if the patients actually have to do what their therapists tell them every day, it will prove CBT does more harm than good.

alex3619

I feel sorry for the patients who are going to be participants. In the greater scheme of things, however, maybe if the patients actually have to do what their therapists tell them every day, it will prove CBT does more harm than good.
The PACE trial should have done that too. Instead the methodological choices led to results that are claimed to prove it is a wonder treatment, with up to 60% recovery according to the most extreme claims made about it. The real story is the patients got worse or did not improve, aside from maybe a very small minority. Also they have the fallback position of blaming the patients, because its obvious they did not try hard enough.

Now a less biased trial that proves it does not work ... try the FINE trial. Yet we almost never hear about that.