• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone read this article? and would the contents be helpful to present a Physician?

Learner1

It looks like its by an "independent medical researcher" which would carry no wait.

I like the attached simple diagram for new doctors, backed up by a couple of slides printed from this presentation:

As well as an announcement of the NIH grants and 4 Centers of Excellence, and then copies of recent research like Montota's cytokine study, metabolomics studies by Naviaux, Armstrong, and McGregor, and papers by Mady Hornig and Maureen Hanson.

You don't need to hand them all over, but you'll be prepared with wherever the conversation goes, and they can't deny it exists.;)

Attachments

• Holtorf_Treatment_of_CFS.pdf
    335.1 KB · Views: 15

Vineyard1

It looks like its by an "independent medical researcher" which would carry no wait.

I like the attached simple diagram for new doctors, backed up by a couple of slides printed from this presentation:

As well as an announcement of the NIH grants and 4 Centers of Excellence, and then copies of recent research like Montota's cytokine study, metabolomics studies by Naviaux, Armstrong, and McGregor, and papers by Mady Hornig and Maureen Hanson.

You don't need to hand them all over, but you'll be prepared with wherever the conversation goes, and they can't deny it exists.;)

Thank you!

Learner
Do you know of any recent journal studies about B12 deficiencies leading to cortical atrophic findings? Also do you know of any showing that supplementing B12 decreases the atrophy?
Thanks, Sita

Learner1

Thanks Learner. I am starting my second week tomorrow of self-injecting Cyanocobalamin 1 mg. daily. I have already talked my doctor into doing every other day for next week. I still have visual blurring, tingling in my right foot, some Nausea and gagging, fatigue, bowel and bladder lack of sensation, etc. Any suggestions for what next? I am hoping that the remaining symptoms are completely gone when I am coming to the end of my every other day regime.
I feel like a chemistry experiment, but have been feeling so, so much better.
I welcome any other suggestions.
I am also doing all the pre and probiotics..
Thanks, Sita

The best way to tell what you need in what ratios would be a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval test. You can see a sample test by clicking on the link in this page:
Hi Lerner
My doctor would not even open up the articles you sent me because she didn’t want more passwords! I took hard copies of other studies. She would not sign up for this type test, I don’t think, I will ask. Do these tests work if you are supplementing? Do you know if insurance covers them?
Thanks very much, Learner

Learner1

I print out research articles, and, having read them myself, hand them to my doctor with a quick sentence about why I feel it is pertinent to me.

I do the Genova Diagnostics NutrEval while on supplements, as that is my normal state, and I want to know if what I'm taking is working well or if I need to adjust. (The instructions say to skip the supplements, but I've been doing the test every 9-12 months for 8 years, and it works just fine this way.)

They have an Easy Pay program which you will want to do - it will always save you a good deal of money on this ~$2,000 test. The Easy Pay runs about $189. My insurance covers it and my moms Medicate has paid for it.

If you need help finding a doctor or have questions about insurance or billing, their customer service is easy to talk to.

I do the Genova Diagnostics NutrEval while on supplements, as that is my normal state, and I want to know if what I'm taking is working well or if I need to adjust. (The
Learner is it your Mom’s Medicaid or Medicare? There is a huge difference..
I need to call the company. Thanks very much for your always great responses!

Murph

:)
I am trying to find one article that bring the point home that ME/CFS is biologically based to a Physician who has no or minimal knowledge of ME/CFS...one that incorporates the many elements of neuroinflammation, cytokine activity etc.
Has anyone read this one and have an opinion?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5314655/

This could be a useful guide to hand to your doctor. (Download the physician's guide (15 pages))

http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2015/ME-CFS.aspx

It is a major report by a large independent US organisation called the Institute of Medicine. It was commissioned to look into all the evidence about ME/CFS in 2015. While it doesn't necessarily touch on cytokines and neuroinflammation it does bring home the point that ME/CFS is a real biological illness.

"The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Social Security Administration asked the Institute of Medicine (IOM) to convene an expert committee to examine the evidence base for ME/CFS. In Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness, the committee proposes new diagnostic criteria that will facilitate timely diagnosis and care and enhance understanding among health care providers and the public."

Some doctors can't be convinced by evidence but this is probably the highest level summary there is.