• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to HBOT? experiences please

MartinK

Hi all!
Im really happy now - after long mailing with one hospital near my hometown, I have been accepted for HBOT!

It will be my another treatment part with Cowden protocol for Lyme and gut treatment from KDM.

Its really expensive treatment for a long time, this HBOT, but I hope for 10-20 times in chamber.
If it helps, i will do everything, get more money and buy mildHBOT for home treatment use! But, this is a future...

Please, to make HBOT as effective as possible, what is good to do? how often do you enter? Any special measures? Any special detoxication between next HBOT dive?

This HBOT in hospital is for 120 minutes, pre-chamber with O2 and fulfillment overpressure of 0,8 MPa

This treatment will be for Lyme and for EBV.

All experiences welcome!

Thanks a lot! Hope for a new progress... And thanks @Learner1 for first info with this treatment in our chat in past!

Martin

MEPatient345

Here is a useful group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HBOT12/

I am doing hbot at the moment. I’m in a hospital hard chamber too, at 2.4ata or 1.5bar (15m / 45 ft).

There is another thread here that I will add my experience to.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ecoveries-w-ongoing-maintenance.54006/page-14
I am only 6 sessions in so it is too early to tell. From everything I’ve read, 10 sessions is the starting treatment for a month, 5 days a week. Then 2 a week for at least 2 more months. If successful would continue. A recent Israeli fibro studie did 2 months, 5 days a week. It’s quite intensive to keep up the daily schedule.

MartinK

thanks a lot!
It looks, I will go to first 4 sessions in next week...and another 4 sessions another week... this tell me a doctor from hospital, where Im success for HBOT.

All studies looks best for patients with CFS from Lyme ...what I read and what I think....hope for it!!!

Martin

MartinK

News with my HBOT:

Hi all!
Im really happy - last week I was started HBOT after long mailing with our hospital...
This chamber is for 4 peoples - only sitting (that is really hard for me with my OI and bad back) but I'm trying hard to prove it! We go down to 14 meters and one relation is for 120 minutes.

I feel immediately after HBOT some changes - brain fog i gone, muscles pain is smaller and inflammation too. Fatigue is better...really good feelings!
But, fact is...when I'll get home, after 1 - 2 hours after HBOT I feel really tired, I want a lot of sleep, its like a PEM...but little bit different.
Someone had same problems after first HBOTs?
I'm little bit scared from this changes! Any help, experience?

Bath in epsom salt help me a lot, when this PEM coming after HBOT session.

I would like to try so much HBOT, when I lie down! Now I dont know, if this short, but big PEMs and drowsiness are from HBOT or from my OI - exertion, when Im sitting in chamber...

Is possible that this worsening after HBOT make detox process or killing Lyme and viruses?
I hope so a lot!!!

HBOT is my way with herbs from Cowden, because KDM treatment with "persister" protocol was too scared and dangerous (KDM himself tell me this), I want to try everything but I do not want to destroy many atb (I was on many protocols for Lyme in past...)

thanks all for some points!
best regards and brighter days for everyone!

Martin

Wayne

But, fact is...when I'll get home, after 1 - 2 hours after HBOT I feel really tired, I want a lot of sleep, its like a PEM...but little bit different.
Someone had same problems after first HBOTs?
I'm little bit scared from this changes! Any help, experience?

HI @MartinK,

Just a quick note, as I'm getting ready to go to my next HBOT session. I started last week and went for 5 days straight. I always felt way better afterwards, but within a few hours, I would crash pretty hard. I described it as going into a pretty major funk.

The first day was the hardest crash, with it lasting 5-6 hours before coming out of it. The next night was a tad shorter, and shortened about an hour/day as the week wore on. When I got to the weekend, I noticed I didn't feel too well, and was looking forward to getting back in the chamber and being able to "fully relax" again (and "feel like myself" again).

But my funk after my then 6th HBOT session seemed to worsen. So I asked for the ata to be reduced from 2.0 to 1.75. I did MUCH better yesterday at that pressure. And I completely avoided the funk in the evening. Since I did so well with 1.75, I'm going to start out at that today, but have made arrangements to have it raised back up to 2.0 if I feel I can handle it halfway through. I think there are greater benefits to be had at 2.0, but only if the body can handle it. That's my take anyway.

Do you have an option to have the ata adjusted? Maybe you need to be doing less pressure, perhaps only slightly less. And that could make all the difference, just as it seems to be doing for me.

Gotta go. Congratulations on getting this therapy, and being able to give it a try. I'm convinced that if it can be tweaked just right for each individual, there are potentially humongous benefits to be experienced by a lot of people with various kinds of chronic illnesses, including ME/CFS. Just learned last night HBOT dramatically increases stem cell activity in the body, and vastly improves circulation and vascular health.

Best, Wayne

MEPatient345

Hi Wayne and Martin.. I am glad to hear your stories. I did 17 sessions, took a 2 week break and now am 7 sessions into another block of 20. I’m going at 2.4 ata. I really haven’t had any bad or good effects. Sometimes I have felt a bit better or buzzed during or after, sometimes I’ve felt my usual sickness and exhaustion feeling. I had a couple of bad PEM episodes, which is normal for me. My symptoms fluctuate so am trying to be aware of that and not attribute too much to the treatment. Overall there is nothing major to report so far. I’m glad and a bit surprised that I’ve been able to do it and tolerate it though, especially with sitting upright and the noise of the machine and TV. Still hoping for improvements but I don’t have a lot of hope. Will prob stop if the next 2 weeks don’t show any changes.

Wayne

Since I did so well with 1.75, I'm going to start out at that today, but have made arrangements to have it raised back up to 2.0 if I feel I can handle it halfway through.

I did start at 1.75, and since things seemed to be going well, I had it upped to 2.0 after about 20 minutes into my 60-minute session. Tonight and tomorrow morning will tell me a lot more about how well this might work out.

Just to mention, I made a LONG POST recently which included a story by a woman who recovered from Lyme using mHBOT. I also copied and pasted a number of her posts from a Lyme support forum in that same long post. Some good insights there for anybody considering HBOT; especially perhaps mHBOT.

Also, I came down with a severe cold/flu a week before Christmas, which included so much lung distress, I wondered whether I had pneumonia. I'd been dismayed that after three months, I was still doing a lot of wheezing, etc. I noticed right away the HBOT made my lungs feel better, and realized today (after 7 sessions), that my lungs are finally completely cleared up. I do NOT think it was a coincidence it began to clear up quickly right after starting HBOT.​

Last edited:

Wayne

Tonight and tomorrow morning will tell me a lot more about how well this might work out.

The funk came back (full force), after only about 40 minutes at 2.0 ata. Pretty amazing the difference in how I feel after an HBOT session separated by only a seemingly marginal difference in pressure.​

MartinK

Hi all!

@Wayne Thanks a lot for your experiences! I'm in the group chamber, pressure is still the same - 14meters down...I think, its a 2,4 ATA total pressure. Yes, it was a really hard start with this pressure!

But, with next a next and anothers dives...its better and better for me. I feel it and am excited!
Yesterday it was a first day, when I go by car to hospital alone (50km) ...make session...and after session I drive to my friends hut in woods.
I stopped on my way to a small walk around the creek...spring is beautiful here in Czech Republic.
It was really hard day for me - normally I have a huge flu-like PEM for 2 days after this, but today morning was without PEM!

Ok, Im still tired, still feeling a lot of inflammation in my body...but this is a really huge change for me!!!
Its after 6th session in HBOT.

I think if I get the HBOT where I can lie, I would get more extra energy! My OI is crazy...its no POTS, but when I stay or sit longer than 0,5 hour...Im totally KO.
And in HBOT I can sit 2 hours without PEM! This is another great thing!

Hey, and best thing for end day with HBOT is make bath with epsom salt for me! Amazing! I'm glad I tried it! ...No PEMs...better days, no brain fog. Great mood! (its maybe great detoxify combination, who knows!)

I look forward to more changes!!!

With HBOT, Im on Cowden protocol for Lyme and KDMs protocol for gut fixing (this is my source of inflammation I think...)

Hope for this make my life back! I pray every day!

Martin

Wayne

its better and better for me. I feel it and am excited! ...... Hope for this make my life back! I pray every day!

Hi Martin,

Great to hear how well you're doing. I can relate to your enthusiasm, as I felt very similarly after some of my sessions. But I've been disappointed my tinnitus--which is the primary reason I began HBOT--has not improved. In fact, it may have worsened somewhat. So I was actually thinking about discontinuing HBOT for a while to try to get a better take on whether or not it was good for the tinnitus.

I then ran across a couple of items last night online, describing in greater detail how brain dysfunction and/or neuronal misfiring (or overfiring) is so interwoven with tinnitus (as I believe is the case with CFS as well). And since there may be no better therapy for brain health than HBOT, I've decided to continue. I figure I'd go with the 1.75 ata instead of 2.0 for a few days and see if that reduces the tinnitus intensity (hopefully even dramatically improve it!).

This is all quite an education for me, and I'm beginning to think that I'll likely end up doing everything I can to get a home mHBOT unit. It definitely makes me more functional, and improves my mood and sense of well being significantly. I have my doubts I will continue to have this better sense of well being after discontinuing the current (expensive) HBOT. But, who knows?

I'm looking forward to this weekend, as it may tell me a lot. Last weekend I did poorly, but I'll be going into this weekend with having done lower pressure HBOT. I'm hoping I'll feel better and better over the weekend, instead of worsening. -- Martin, congratulations on improvements and your ability to apparently have a much greater sense of optimism for further health improvements! :thumbsup: