• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Despite being exhausted, do you have trouble sleeping during the day?

Kenny Banya

Ever since my CFS went from mild to moderate (can no longer work), where I now feel the need to lie down all the time, I can’t sleep even though I desperately want to during the day.
When I had mild CFS I could regularly sleep like clockwork for an hour in the afternoon.

Anyone else experience this?
Can you elaborate on your feelings of fatigue or tiredness?

(I also have tested positive for postural orthostatic tachycardia & hypoglycaemia)

Yep. I have experience exactly the same thing with worsening ME/CFS. Unless I feel completely terrible and am unable to do much I won't be able to sleep, during the day that is.

I miss being able to sleep, and being able to actually enjoy sleeping :(

Last edited:

Wishful

I never could sleep during the day unless I was seriously ill (flu, or whatever). Sleeping at night is a bit more difficult than before, despite feeling exhausted, although that could be age rather than ME. It's really a shame that ME doesn't allow us to sleep longer/deeper. I'm not suffering when I'm unconscious. :sleep:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes, it is ironic that the more tired we get the less likely it is that we can sleep. I also used to take a bit of a nap during the day to perk up but haven't been able to for years.

Yes, it's very frustrating. I've even had a sleep study and they couldn't find anything wrong!? They found that my oxygen was dipping to 92% and I had 8 respiratory events an hour, but it wasn't enough to qualify for treatment. I guess your oxygen has to dip below 88% and you have to have 15+ respiratory events an hour.
Anyway, my sleep is very impacted at night (I wake up a lot) and also during the day. I'm so fatigued and exhausted but rarely if ever sleep(I'm even pregnant and can't nap..). Before I was pregnant I tried an herbal mix called "Deep Sleep", I think I found it on amazon and it was somewhat helpful for the nighttime sleep. It's the only thing I've ever tried where I saw some results.

I've had issues with being able to fall asleep easily for some time now, but it definitely worsened with my symptoms (and still fluctuates based on the kind of day I'm having).

I also had a sleep study done and the official consensus was "abnormal sleep architecture," which I think might be medical speak for "there's clearly a problem, but we don't know what's causing it or how to fix it."

My feelings of fatigue are distinct physical and mental exhaustion, rather than a traditional sleepiness, although that line can blur late at night when I can't sleep. I honestly find the effort of trying to go to sleep at night a somewhat exerting one that I have to reserve energy for

Mel9

I had difficulty getting to sleep for years but now it takes only an hour or so most nights. I still have nights where I am still wide awake at 4am Though.

My best sleep aid is herbal valerian (4 tabs needed just before I go to bed) but I know this doesn’t help everyone.

Kenny Banya

I had difficulty getting to sleep for years but now it takes only an hour or so most nights. I still have nights where I am still wide awake at 4am Though.

My best sleep aid is herbal valerian (4 tabs needed just before I go to bed) but I know this doesn’t help everyone.
I cycle through benzodiazepine, amitriptylene & doxylamine. Doxy gives the greatest hangover.

panckage

Ever since my CFS went from mild to moderate (can no longer work), where I now feel the need to lie down all the time, I can’t sleep even though I desperately want to during the day.

I have this too. I think for me if i can get good exercise then my sleep is decent. If I don't get proper exercise I am in the wired but tired state which is I think what you are describing.

It is a big catch 22 though. When my symptoms are mild and I don't have too many responsibilities I can get adequate exercise and can rest properly

But when my condition worsens I can't do adequate exercise nor can I get proper rest

BadBadBear

I definitely have trouble, especially the more tired I get.

I do find that if I MAKE myself lie down and put on a light blocking eye mask, I am more likely to be able to get to sleep in the daytime. Just seems to take my CNS some time to unwind and let go and any little bit of stimulation keeps me awake.