• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which cytokines most researched in ME /CFS as out of wack. ?

SunMoonsStars

Hi. I’m looking for a list of the cytokines that are out of wack in research and alto that docs look for and are seeing in ME / CFS.

Hip

Most of the studies show inconsistent cytokine results in ME/CFS, with a given cytokine being high in one study, but normal or low in another.

However, there is one cytokine that has shown consistent results in most studies, and that is TGF-beta, which 5 out of 8 studies found elevated in ME/CFS. Ref: 1

Wonkmonk

Even in Dr Montoya's study, the same cytokine was - compared to healthy controls - elevated in severe CFS, lower in mild CFS and about the same in moderate CFS. He also found differences regarding cytokine levels in the different temporary stages of CFS (higher in the early stages and lower in late stages).

nanonug

Hip

High TGF-beta is also found in Dr Ritchie Shoemaker's CIRS (chronic inflammatory response syndrome), an illness triggered by mold or other biotoxins, and which has very similar symptoms to ME/CFS, but a different treatment.

ebethc

Most of the studies show inconsistent cytokine results in ME/CFS, with a given cytokine being high in one study, but normal or low in another.

However, there is one cytokine that has shown consistent results in most studies, and that is TGF-beta, which 5 out of 8 studies found elevated in ME/CFS. Ref: 1

hip, do you think that could be b/c cytokines are only elevated during a flare, and some could be elevated some of the time and other elevated some of the time and some never elevated in an individual? I wonder what researchers say about that possibility and how to test for it, ie, following a cohort over a year and intermittently testing..

Hip

This study looked at how cytokines and other blood factors change with day to day variations in fatigue levels. The only factor that correlated with the fatigue variations was leptin.

Hip

what's the best way to lower leptin? mine's high

High leptin can be a result of leptin resistance (which is analogous to insulin resistance), so tackling leptin resistance may be a good approach. You can look at Garcinia cambogia, chromium, acetyl-L-carnitine for this purpose.

Endoplasmic reticulum stress causes leptin resistance, and TUDCA addresses that, and addresses leptin resistance.

hamsterman

hip, do you think that could be b/c cytokines are only elevated during a flare, and some could be elevated some of the time and other elevated some of the time and some never elevated in an individual? I wonder what researchers say about that possibility and how to test for it, ie, following a cohort over a year and intermittently testing..

They definitely vary after exertion, no question about it. All the studies seem to discuss this, and how the cytokine immune response to exertion is very different for PWME. But I am certainly interested in any markers that show up, even when we are perfectly rested, and feeling at our best. That would be the holy grail.

pattismith

High TGF-beta is also found in Dr Ritchie Shoemaker's CIRS (chronic inflammatory response syndrome), an illness triggered by mold or other biotoxins, and which has very similar symptoms to ME/CFS, but a different treatment.

Interestingly, I found here that "Diverse signals are able to regulate D3 expression in vitro and in vivo: retinoic acid, serum growth factors, estrogens and progesterone, TGFβ, Wnt-βcatenin, and Shh/Gli2 increase D3 levels, whereas glucocorticoid and growth hormone reduce D3 levels"

D3 = Deiodinase Type 3 which converts T4 to rT3