• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SLC35F3 rs12049593 Thiamine transport

So, in past year I noticed that I respond positively to benfothiamine, sulbutiamine. A subset of people here seem to get improvements from these thiamine based supplements. When I increase carbs to 100 grams a day I need more pills (4 a day). Back to low carb, I am back to 1 tablet a day.

I am T/T for rs12049593 (0.0088 op European population).

This snp has been discussed in regard neanderthal dna. Specifically, in this paper:
The phenotypic legacy of admixture between modern humans and ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26912863

This snp affects thiamine transport in the brain and gut and at its worst is implicated in protein calorie malnutrition.

For those helped by thiamine and have 23andme, might be worth checking this out.

aquariusgirl

Susan Costen Owens, an oxalates, sulphur researcher, thinks thiamine tranposters are a factor for her family & their health issues
she is knowledgeable on this subject
she posts on Trying Low Oxalates on FAcebook group
she mentioned SLC44A5 to me

Susan Costen Owens, an oxalates, sulphur researcher, thinks thiamine tranposters are a factor for her family & their health issues
she is knowledgeable on this subject
she posts on Trying Low Oxalates on FAcebook group
she mentioned SLC44A5 to me

Thanks! Already a member there but I have not checked in recently since my oxalates are low. But, yes, she has some good stuff on thiamine so I appreciate the reminder!

sb4

Interesting. I am C/C for that one. I have noticed that the heavy heart pounding that I get from increased carbs is diminished somewhat with allithiamine however this then creates other problems such as insomnia.

nanonug

Interesting. I am C/C for that one. I have noticed that the heavy heart pounding that I get from increased carbs is diminished somewhat with allithiamine however this then creates other problems such as insomnia.

Thanks for the pointer on allithiamine. I'm also C/C and also get the heart pounding problem. I'm going to give allithiamine a try and see what happens.