• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thallium high-ish on latest UTM test

bjl218

Hi,

My most recent test came back at 0.7 for thallium. A few years ago it was at 0.2. Reference range on the Doctors Data UTM test is < 0.5. My functional doc didn't seem concerned about that and was more interested in my slightly high mercury and high lead which we are now treating. But in my research, it seems that thallium is much more toxic than even mercury or lead. It can also result in some strange neurological issues of which I have a few.

Anyone else have high thallium levels and were you treated for that? My understanding is that the usual chelating binders (DMSA, DMPS, EDTA, etc) don't work on thallium and you need something called Prussian Blue.

bjl218

I believe that thallium is still used in certain medical imaging tests. Maybe you had one of these tests?
I don't think so. I had an MRI with contrast years ago (gadolinium) and a thyroid iodine uptake test. I know the thyroid test uses radioactive iodine, but I don't think it uses thallium. I've read about the kale/thallium scare, but I don't know if there's any truth in that. I was certainly pounding a lot of kale at one point.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyone else have high thallium levels and were you treated for that?
I have tested pretty high on thallium and had EDTA chelation for other reasons though was not tested again for thallium afterwards.
I believe that thallium is still used in certain medical imaging tests. Maybe you had one of these tests?
I had two thallium stress tests.