• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naltrexone-caused Insomnia

frozenborderline

Hi guys. 2 days after my last dose of LDN (it was starting to give me intense energy but at the cost of sleep, seemed like a lot of endorphin release, maybe from mu receptor upregulation), I am still having effects, like insomnia that I didn't really have before, and bursts of energy and what seems like some endorphin bursts, but complete with some muscle tension and severe insomnia. My main question is how is it possible that naltrexone could be doing this two days later, with a half life of 4 hours? It seems like either, ULDN can have some effects that are as strong as LDN, and my receptors are still getting tickled by tiny amounts of it, or it flicked some kind of "switch" that has permanent effects.

TrixieStix

Hi guys. 2 days after my last dose of LDN (it was starting to give me intense energy but at the cost of sleep, seemed like a lot of endorphin release, maybe from mu receptor upregulation), I am still having effects, like insomnia that I didn't really have before, and bursts of energy and what seems like some endorphin bursts, but complete with some muscle tension and severe insomnia. My main question is how is it possible that naltrexone could be doing this two days later, with a half life of 4 hours? It seems like either, ULDN can have some effects that are as strong as LDN, and my receptors are still getting tickled by tiny amounts of it, or it flicked some kind of "switch" that has permanent effects.
I had a bad reaction to Ultra Low Dose Naltrexone just 12 hrs after my very first dose. Wokeup in middle of night with sensation of being electrically shocked down my back and into my arms and thighs . It was bizarre and painful. It took 24 hrs to feel back to "normal".

Diwi9

Administrator
I was advised to take my LDN in the morning. When are you taking yours?
I took LDN at night for many months, but my insomnia has become an increasing problem (hello 6 a.m.!). My doctor recently switched it to a morning dosage, along with some other changes. I haven't noticed any difference with side effects or efficacy.

JES

The effects of a medication doesn't stop after it has escaped the body. Otherwise quitting antidepressants or benzos would be a matter of 24 or 48 hours, which it obviously isn't. You need to be more specific about what dosage and what administration schedule you are on.

JES

LDN, this is something that I have to understand better,,,why did your doctors recomend ldn?

LDN is standard treatment in many countries for things like CFS and Fibromyalgia, see for example this article. Because of the low dose compared to FDA approved Naltrexone which is 50 mg, side effects are usually small and so is the price, so there is little risk in trying this treatment.

place

Be Strong!
I was having insomnia from 2-4 every night and I reduced my Ldn dose from 4 to 1.5. Insomnia went away.