• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ProLon Fast Mimicking Diet.

Ema

This is my third round of doing the ProLon Fast Mimicking Diet so I thought I would post about my experience here.

I've found it very helpful myself, especially in losing that MCAS "pregnancy" look, :).

Here are the purported benefit from their website:

15 years of extensive preclinical and clinical studies sponsored by the National Institute of Health (NIH) and conducted at the Longevity Institute and Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute of the University of Southern California (USC) resulted in the development of the first FMD™ (ProLon®) which stimulates:
  • High level of protection and stress resistance in cells
  • Removal of damaged cells and tissues
  • Self repair of cells resulting in regeneration and rejuvenation within your body

This time I combined it with the high pass ozone treatment in the hopes that it would act similarly to how it does when they use it for chemo.

Fingers crossed! I am on day 4/5.

pibee

I want to try this for some time already.
Did it help other symptoms besides 'pregnancy' look?

Ema

I want to try this for some time already.
Did it help other symptoms besides 'pregnancy' look?
The short answer is I hope so, but I don't know.

I don't have any good way to quantify things like increased apoptosis and cell regeneration or beneficial changes to my gut microbiome.

I can see that I burn fat better from my ketone readings on my blood meter. I can see that my blood sugar goes down.

I do combine it with other detox methods. This week I've done clay baths and used my infrared sauna too.

I feel better and look better, so that's good enough for me until that time as I can measure the other variables more accurately.

Diwi9

Administrator
@Ema - so glad you started this thread. I just received three months worth. I'm going in for blood work tomorrow, doing it pre and post to see if inflammatory markers come down.

The calories are actually pretty high on day one, not sure I normally eat that much...but the third day looks difficult!

Diwi9

Administrator
These are the tests I'm doing at LabCorp, I believe they are based on Dr. Longo's clinical study:
  1. TGF Beta 1 LC 821342
  2. HS crp 120766 Labcorp
  3. Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 LC (IGF-1) TEST: 010363

Ema

@Ema - so glad you started this thread. I just received three months worth. I'm going in for blood work tomorrow, doing it pre and post to see if inflammatory markers come down.

The calories are actually pretty high on day one, not sure I normally eat that much...but the third day looks difficult!
The first time I did it “by the book”. The second time I reorganized things a bit, haha. I usually save a nut bar from the first day breakfast for day 3 or 4. I also use organic mushroom broth instead of water to make the soups. It has hardly any calories but makes it taste a lot better. I also mix the little drink bottle with sparkling water instead of plain. So hopefully I am not ruining it, but I still feel like my results are good, so I’m fine with my changes.

Diwi9

Administrator
The first time I did it “by the book”. The second time I reorganized things a bit, haha. I usually save a nut bar from the first day breakfast for day 3 or 4. I also use organic mushroom broth instead of water to make the soups. It has hardly any calories but makes it taste a lot better. I also mix the little drink bottle with sparkling water instead of plain. So hopefully I am not ruining it, but I still feel like my results are good, so I’m fine with my changes.
Oh...I love your tips. Maybe I'll use some bone broth to help my soups...that will certainly help encourage me. I'm pretty into eating whole home-made foods, so the meal plan of packaged foods is out of my comfort zone. Definitely with you on the sparkling water bit :)

Ema

Here is a movie on the topic of the science of fasting, free for Amazon Prime members. https://www.amazon.com/Science-Fasting-Sylvie-Gilman/dp/B075848T5T
From this movie, they state that after 12 days of fasting, histamine is depleted from bronchial cells, the cells are filled with lipids, and the spasms associated with bronchial asthma are gone. For 10-15%, they were cured forever and another 50% of patients were able to maintain with further courses.

Amazing, really, when you consider the alternative is a lifetime on inhalant steroids and other medications.

Ema

Oh...I love your tips. Maybe I'll use some bone broth to help my soups...that will certainly help encourage me. I'm pretty into eating whole home-made foods, so the meal plan of packaged foods is out of my comfort zone. Definitely with you on the sparkling water bit :)
Careful with bone broth, though.

It has about 10x the calories of the mushroom broth and 4x the protein, at least the commercial ones do.

I basically just wanted flavor without messing too much with the nutrient profiles, so that was why I picked mushroom.

Diwi9

Administrator
Careful with bone broth, though.

It has about 10x the calories of the mushroom broth and 4x the protein, at least the commercial ones do.

I basically just wanted flavor without messing too much with the nutrient profiles, so that was why I picked mushroom.
I thought about that after I posted. I know Dr. Longo is big on having lower protein during the fast...ugh...I'll manage. I think you're finishing up tomorrow. Congratulations!

Diwi9

Administrator
I just attempted 5 days of ProLon and had to give up at day 4. My cognitive dysfunction began spiking on day 2, resumed on day 3...about half-way through day 4 I had to abort the program. Today should have been day 5, but I'm in a crash. I don't know why it had this effect on me, but I have done quite well on a ketogenic diet and will stick with that for now. On the upside, I did lose some weight.