• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Green bean reaction???

GreenMachineX

I’m still figuring out my sensitivities (and why all of a sudden I have a million), but the strangest thing has happened. Last Saturday, I went to Golden Corral with family/friends (not my first choice obviously but trying to be supportive of wife), ate eggs, bacon, sausage, green beans and broccoli and a ton of butter (on a ketogenic diet). About 5 hours later, I got very irritable which I thought was from a blood sugar spike/drop, thinking some of the food had sugar hidden in it. I ate and felt better, but another hour later and felt this strange body buzz or vibration that lasted hours. It wasn’t anxiety as I’m very familiar with that, and it went away by the next morning.

Two days ago I started eating canned green beans at night, and yesterday the same feeling has begun and still continues now. I also ate the green beans last night. That’s the only similarity in the food I can think of. Obviously I’m not going to eat them again, but what I’m the world could that be? I do have histamine intolerance, but this doesn’t feel like that too much being that I’m not red faced and face/ears on fire.

Could different foods cause different types of histamine reactions? Could it be because it’s canned green beans? I ate regular fresh green beans Monday and don’t think I had a problem Tuesday, but I also had the flu for several days in the middle so unsure of all that. I realize there’s lots of potential twists, but hoping someone else can relate or give me advice on how to make this feeling go away. Thanks!

Sundancer

I don't trust any canned stuff, you never know what's in there.
could be some MSG. Or something that reacted between the can and the beans.

I go for all food homemade, safest for my body

Starsister

I don't trust any canned stuff, you never know what's in there.
could be some MSG. Or something that reacted between the can and the beans.

I go for all food homemade, safest for my body
So true..Canned goods are scary to me, fresh is best but prepping cold messy veggies, dealing with discarding the trimmings, etc is often too much for me to expend energy on, but I've heard frozen is next best thing so I rely more on frozen. And then I have lots of frozen bags to put on my burning skin! I also eat frozen corn and peas, as a snack, in place of a more overt carb, and the cold in my mouth reduces the burning fever feeling in my face and head..so double bonus.

Regarding histamine reaction, would that be the same as what happens when we have leaky gut syndrome and food particles enter into blood stream so our body reacts to what shouldnt be in our blood? When I'm reactive to eating everything, even the most innocent foods, I take my supplements for fighting candida and that reactivity stops within a day or two. For me, candida overgrowth leads to leaky gut which leads to what I call my "reactive stage " with food..causing fatigue, sinus congestion and bowel issues.

shannah

@GreenMachineX

Could it have been a hypoglycemic reaction?

Another thought is that green beans are extremely high in oxalate and if steamed, they become even higher.
Perhaps you have difficulty digesting oxalate, as many do.
(My limbs become much more numb and the feeling of needles and pins intensifies if I indulge in high oxalate foods.)

GreenMachineX

Thanks everyone!

I’ll never eat the canned stuff again, that’s for sure.

I’m still learning about histamine and all it’s effects, but I think leaky gut can make histamine intolerance worse but it’s not the same thing (someone can correct me if I’m wrong!).
What supplements are for Candida overgrowth?

Definitely not blood sugar, as I tested it and was at 94 with blood ketones at .7, both just fine.

The oxalate theory is interesting and a new avenue to approach. It explains why I feel best on an all meat, butter, and macadamia nut diet, and veggies make me feel worse looking back over my life.

Last edited:

Starsister

@GreenMachineX , I have low blood sugar so I get thrown off easily with carbs, but when I notice a couple of candida symotoms, like sinus congestion of gastrointestinal stuff, I start taking Arthur Andrew Syntol AMD, and Ecological Formulas Caprystatin and it heads it off. Since sugars and carbs feed the Candida, I take Ness Formula 21. I used to rely on rectal suppositories for years..Sanum brand Pleo Alb, a homeopathic but got to a point where it was not as effective. All these were things my Chinese Mecicine practioner of 30 yrs has had me use, but I'm able to find them in quantity online for much less cost than he sells them for. They are a staple for me because my body just doesn't process carbs well. I spent years going to MD s for horrible never ending sinus drainage and it all cleared up when I started doing candida cleanse and diet in the early 90s..same time I realized from reading same book that I had all the symptoms for CFS.

I'm not familiar with the other causes of histamine issue...if not too complicated, can you tell me more about that or steer me to an article?

GreenMachineX

Starsister,
I don’t really know as I’m still learning. I just know foods, getting too hot, exercise, sex and some other things can trigger histamine release.

Sundancer

you can add psychological stress to that one. I've been struggling with some badly needed administration. needed to go to websites, download things, open pages that did not work as they should

and pushed through...which I should not have done :mad:

Since I'm itchy and the severe sleepingproblems are back :cry: this was the second night, hope this reaction soon slows down

Starsister

I guess I didn't post on this thread but after doing some research on histamine intolerance, I ordered DAO enzyme that is suppose to help. I realized that my issues are broader than just the leaky gut syndrome. Although the DAO supplement sounds like it only addresses gut issues which I think I had a handle on. Curious if anyone else has experience with DAO for histamine issues...hope I am not throwing along if money down the drain.

For 30 years I've identified times when I just say to myself, and anyone else who has to be in my life, that I am in "reactive mode". At those times, I notice I am sensitive to everything..,so many things correlate...like the sinus congestion worsening, stomach and bowel issues, skin hurting more, intolerance of any odors, sounds. I often can't even handle the smell of cooking food in the house, even smells I like. I was looking forward to using a crockpot where I could throw everything in a pot and let it cook without having to tend to it or stand, but I can't sleep or rest with the smell permeating the house and I just want throw all the windows open and run out of the house screaming. Seems when I'm heightened sensitivity, I'm extreme about everything.
So I'm glad I came upon your comments as it makes sense that histamine are a much bigger problem for me than just the leaky gut histamine reaction. I found a checklist for symptoms and I had nearly every one and includes alit if things I think of as CFS.

Now if I can just tie it in with my spinal degeneration and heal that along with it!

GreenMachineX

Olive oil has helped me with DAO production and therefore controlling gut histamine.
Also, getting 15mg p5p (but I might increase to 30mg tomorrow) and taking theanine around the clock controls my histamine outbreaks.

Sundancer

Olive oil has helped me with DAO production and therefore controlling gut histamine.
well, that's easy to try, and a probably harmless intervention, but i do not like the taste...
I may add it to my morning fat ( that's going to be a row of bottles... codliveroi/linseed/hemp/primrose and then oliveoil...oh well, what we do to get some improvement eh)

Starsister

Fortunately olive oil and coconut oil are about the they thing I use, but I looked up that low histamine diet and surprisingly much of it cotradicts my Candida diet. The histamine diet though does outlaw deadly nightshade veggies like tomatoes and eggplant though, so that is consistent with what Gloria Gilbert warns of in her book Invisible Illness, and her lectures. She has of had extreme skin nerve pain like me. Have you guys tried the histamine diet and do you notice a diff? I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of DAO.

GreenMachineX

I’m not too strict on the histamine diet, but I do avoid the worst offenders and make sure to increase other sources of oleic acid as well. I’m considering adding in other mast cell stabilizers like holy basil or Boswellia, but I’m also scared to rock the boat and make what I’m experiencing worse.