• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nicola, another young German woman loses her life to ME

Countrygirl

https://nicolaschmid.wordpress.com/23-01-2018/

himmel.jpg

03rd February 2018

Nicola was buried on Saturday, February 3 in the closest family and friends in her hometown in the Allgäu. We would like to thank all those who supported and accompanied Nicola on her last journey.

anzeige.png

Pray, laugh, think of me.

Pray for me, so that my name will be spoken in the house, as it always was,

without any particular emphasis, without the trace of a shadow.

Life's meaning is what it has always been.

The string is not cut through.

Why should not I be in your thoughts anymore,

just because I'm no longer in your field of vision?

I'm not far away, just on the other side of the road.

(after Charles Péguy)

Countrygirl

A well-known immunologist from Munich reacted to the news of Nicolas's death, inter alia, with the words: "I can only ask for forgiveness from doctors, that this disease receives too little recognition and commitment."

This is a quote we can run with when advocating and raising awareness.

Thank you, Nicola!

We are so very sad to lose yet another of our community.

So terrible for her loved ones!

She must be placed on our memorial page.

perrier

Thank you for posting. Thank you. Rest In Peace dear Nicola, far away from pain and torment.

This is all horrific. Several times a week we hear if another young person passing due to this scourge. Where are the powers that be? Do they not hear this?

perrier

There is a proposal to fight the opioid epidemic with $8 billion in federal funds, just for some perspective...when there is a crisis...there is a will to find money.
Of course, the police find dead folks in various places who have had overdoses, but here is a situation, where suffering folks discreetly take their own lives. So, it doesn't hit the media. Here in Canada, there are daily reports about what police have found in this or that city regarding opioid overdose.

Of course, there is money.

The problem is also that when you say suicide the response often is: oh, there must have been psychological problem. There just isn't enough public understanding that this illness is a monster that torments folks around the clock, and there are not medications to stop the symptoms, let alone erase the illness. NO one believes that such an illness can exist. Friends saw Unrest, and told me they couldn't believe it at first, and said they found it hard to watch. And here we all are, living with this every single moment of the day and night.

Diwi9

Administrator
The problem is also that when you say suicide the response often is: oh, there must have been psychological problem. There just isn't enough public understanding that this illness is a monster that torments folks around the clock, and there are not medications to stop the symptoms, let alone erase the illness. NO one believes that such an illness can exist. Friends saw Unrest, and told me they couldn't believe it at first, and said they found it hard to watch. And here we all are, living with this every single moment of the day and night.
Spot on @perrier. Same here, one friend could not complete watching Unrest. Her comment, "Laying around like that must lead to deconditioning and just makes things worse." We have a few key people on our side, who understand our Catch-22...and they are working hard to crack this mess. No one takes their life because they are just psychologically upset about their situation. They take their life because this form of un-living with ME becomes physically unbearable.

perrier

https://nicolaschmid.wordpress.com/23-01-2018/

himmel.jpg

03rd February 2018

Nicola was buried on Saturday, February 3 in the closest family and friends in her hometown in the Allgäu. We would like to thank all those who supported and accompanied Nicola on her last journey.

anzeige.png

Pray, laugh, think of me.

Pray for me, so that my name will be spoken in the house, as it always was,

without any particular emphasis, without the trace of a shadow.

Life's meaning is what it has always been.

The string is not cut through.

Why should not I be in your thoughts anymore,

just because I'm no longer in your field of vision?

I'm not far away, just on the other side of the road.

(after Charles Péguy)

perrier

I wonder if we should be calling it Unlife?
Yes, it is really Un-life, and Un-living.

Life is movement. That's why we all love dance, because this is the apex of movement.
In this monstrous condition, movement, that which is natural, that which characterises life from death, is punished by PEM. And to reverse PEM one must lie still like a corpse in order to get the symptoms down.

Lord in Heaven, when will the powers that be understand the urgency of this illness When will the world turn to it as they did with AIDS.