• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OAT Test Interpretation Assistance - Mitochondria Related

Hey everyone

I got an OAT test done last month and am working through it with a practitioner. Nothing he's recommended is making any difference (symptoms are low free testosterone and all the things that come with that - lethargy, fatigue, mood swings, depression etc)

We've identified the yeast / bacteria imbalance and will get started on that in the next few weeks. I'm on B6, CoQ10, Biotin, L-carnitine and b12 at the moment but it's not really helping at all.

I have two questions regarding the results, which I've uploaded as a pdf to this post. I've been scouring the internet for answers but cannot find what I'm looking for, I'm hoping someone here can help.

Firstly - my mitochondrial markers are all positioned to the left of the centre. I understand that if the markers are to the right then that signifies a deficiency - does this mean that to the left then my mitochondria are working overtime? Would that not result in being energetic? What can be done about this?

Also, my 3-Methylglutaric and 3-Methylglutaconic markers are way high. It's my understanding that these are markers of mitochondrial dysfunction, although the recommendations at the end of the test suggest the thing's that I'm already doing like CoQ10. It also suggests NAD, but again - if my mitochondria are working overtime then would this even be a good idea?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much for reading.

xx

Attachments

• oat_test.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 33

Learner1

Do you have any more labs, like a CBC and CMP? Homocysteine level or amino acids?

Working on your gut is a good idea.

You might benefit from additional pyridoxal-5-phosphate (B6). What kind of B12 are you taking. Methyl? In addition to B6, you may also need other nutrients to feed methylation, maybe methylfolate, magnesium.

These might be worth looking at regarding high oxalates:

http://www.beyondmthfr.com/oxalates-and-mthfr-understanding-the-gut-kidney-axis/

http://www.beyondmthfr.com/side-high-oxalates-problems-sulfate-b6-gut-methylation/

What do you eat? You might discuss a ketogenic diet with your doctor. It looks like you may have issues converting carbohydrates into energy.

It might also be good to run a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval test next time which will give you more info on antioxidants, amino acids, lipids, and heavy metals which would give more insight.

But working on your gut would be a good start. Work with your doctor to answer the questions above - they'd be the best to personalize recommendations for you.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Hey everyone

I got an OAT test done last month and am working through it with a practitioner. Nothing he's recommended is making any difference (symptoms are low free testosterone and all the things that come with that - lethargy, fatigue, mood swings, depression etc)

We've identified the yeast / bacteria imbalance and will get started on that in the next few weeks. I'm on B6, CoQ10, Biotin, L-carnitine and b12 at the moment but it's not really helping at all.

I have two questions regarding the results, which I've uploaded as a pdf to this post. I've been scouring the internet for answers but cannot find what I'm looking for, I'm hoping someone here can help.

Firstly - my mitochondrial markers are all positioned to the left of the centre. I understand that if the markers are to the right then that signifies a deficiency - does this mean that to the left then my mitochondria are working overtime? Would that not result in being energetic? What can be done about this?

Also, my 3-Methylglutaric and 3-Methylglutaconic markers are way high. It's my understanding that these are markers of mitochondrial dysfunction, although the recommendations at the end of the test suggest the thing's that I'm already doing like CoQ10. It also suggests NAD, but again - if my mitochondria are working overtime then would this even be a good idea?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much for reading.

xx[/QUOTEnot familiar with OAT test. This proposition could be complete ly wrong, but perhaps the overactivity is a bit like how TSH functions - mitos crazily sending out signals/ working overtime to prompt something to happen as they are low. Could be lack of substrates due to other issues?
There is a similar section on the ATP profiles test by acumen labs

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I've uploaded my other test results as pdf files. I regret that I didn't get a FBC which perhaps I should look into.

At the time of the test I was eating a moderate carb, moderate protein higher fat diet. Now I'm eating a lower carb, higher fat, moderate protein diet. This is a low oxalate diet so my carbs really only come from squash, swede, some soaked oats etc.

I should mention that I need to take betaine HCL and enzymes to properly digest my food as I seem to have fairly significant digestive insufficiency.

Other supplements are L-Carnitine, B6, Biotin, CoQ10, Life Extension 2-per-day Multi (which contains 400mcg methylfolate and 300mcg metylcobalamin), 1250mcg Seeking health Active b12 lozenges (methyl and adenosyl cobalamin) and seeking health optimal magnesium 300mg, as well as twice a week epsom salt and magnesium chloride baths.

With regards to the OAT test results, it was my understanding that the Krebs cycle markers would be high if there was a deficiency in one part of the krebs cycle. But there's no information about what it means if they are on the lower end - i'd have thought that it would suggest that the cycle was working fine, but I don't know really. This then makes me question the high 3-Methylglutaric marker and wonder why that is so high too.

The glycolytic markers - lactic and pyruvic - again I thought were supposed to signal a deficiency in carb metabolism when they were high, although mine are on the low end.

I have a appt with my physician in a few weeks to discuss it but am just trying to make sense of it all now! Obviously we discussed the obvious stuff like the gut and yeast and oxalates in the first appointment, but there's so much in this to delve into, and not much literature on what it means if some of these markers are on the lower end, rather than high.

Thank you very much for your time, it's much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• blood test.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 14

Learner1

Hmmm... I was looking for MCV on a complete blood count.

It looks like you have enough Biotin and CoQ10, so you may not need to supplement those as much. You may need more folate, but there's not enough data to tell. And you may need alpha lipoic acid (it opposes biotin plus recycling far and water soluble antioxidants) or other antioxidants, but again, there's not enough info to tell.

And you may need more B6 - I found I need 350mg daily which is a huge amount, but its right for me. I'm not suggesting you need that much but as your test shows you're low and you have high oxalates, some serious thought about how much you're taking might be wise. (I don't need to be on a low oxalate diet if I have B6, gut dysbiosis, and sulfur managed.)

Given your issues, working with your provider is best. I'm not a doctor but have given you questions to research and share with your provider. Good luck!