• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Endocrine alterations in HIV patients

pattismith

Endocrine alterations in HIV-infected patients
Sujit Kumar Tripathy, Ritesh Kumar Agrawala,1 and Anoj Kumar Baliarsinha1

2015:
Abstract
Aims and objectives:
To study the frequency of thyroid, adrenal and gonadal dysfunction in newly diagnosed HIV-infected patients and to correlate them at different levels of CD4 cell counts.

Materials and Methods:
Forty-three HIV-positive cases were included in the study group. Cases were divided into three groups on the basis of CD4 cell count. Serum free T3, free T4, TSH, Cortisol, FSH, LH, testosterone and estradiol were estimated by the radioimmunoassay method. Hormone levels between cases were compared and their correlation with CD4 count was analyzed.

Results:
Prevalence of gonadal dysfunction (88.3%) was the most common endocrine dysfunction
followed by thyroid (60.4%)
and adrenal dysfunction (27.9%).
Secondary hypogonadism (68.4%) was more common than primary (31.6%).
Low T3 syndrome, that is, isolated low free T3, was the most common (25.6%) thyroid dysfunction followed by secondary hypothyroidism (16.2%) and subclinical hypothyroidism (11.6%).
Adrenal excess (16.3%) was more common than adrenal insufficiency (11.6%).
The difference in hormonal dysfunction between male and female was statistically insignificant (P > 0.05).
27.9% of patients had multiple hormone deficiency.
There was negligible or no correlation between CD4 count and serum hormone level.

Conclusion:
In our study, endocrine dysfunction was quite common among HIV-infected patients but there was no correlation between hormone levels and CD4 count. Endocrine dysfunctions and role of hormone replacement therapy in HIV-infected patient needs to be substantiated by large longitudinal study, so that it will help to reduce morbidity, improve quality of life.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I was looking for a study i had saved showing testosterone/anabolic steroids increase nk function in hiv, when i stumbled on this interesting link i had previously saved. I think it will be of interest and related to the original posting in this thread.

heapsreal

Low T3 syndrome is an hypometabolic state meant to adapt your body to a danger signal and to minimize a catabolic state...

Probably but hard to signal one hormone out as it seems more of a team on its effects. I wonder if fixing this anabolic/catabolic state, if low t3 improves?

It seems most cfsers have 1 or more hormones which are low. Good to see more research on all hormones corrected at once?

pattismith

Probably but hard to signal one hormone out as it seems more of a team on its effects. I wonder if fixing this anabolic/catabolic state, if low t3 improves?

It seems most cfsers have 1 or more hormones which are low. Good to see more research on all hormones corrected at once?
T3 is a kind of bandmaster in your body. Once your T3 is low, all the other hormons will go low too: Cortisol, Pregnenolone sulfate, sexual hormons...

heapsreal

T3 is a kind of bandmaster in your body. Once your T3 is low, all the other hormons will go low too: Cortisol, Pregnenolone sulfate, sexual hormons...

In the book 'stop the thyroid madness' , there is a group of people with low cortisol which is the cause of their low thyroid. They all seem to play off each other. I find the more i look into it the more it seems to be not known or understood fully. There also seems to be strong connections between hormones and neurotransmitters, electrolytes etc.

I can understand why many drs arent interested in treating cfsers as it becomes very complex very fast when we start looking at hormones and add infections and the immune system. A few big rabbit holes to go down.