• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pineapple fund--donation to OMF increased to $5 million!

Thank you, Pineapple Fund! I’m bedridden and have been sick with this horrible disease since 1983. My caregivers are elderly and I’m very frightened about my future. Your generosity is bringing us so much hope. I’m confident that the Open Medicine Foundation will put this money to the best use to find treatments and a cure for ME. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Tears of joy!

If this goes through OK then its more money than any government paid for research over most of the history of ME and CFS research. Its only in peak years that the US and UK governments have exceeded that, and for the UK that was PACE which is largely discredited.

I expect this will make a huge difference in driving research forward. I certainly hope so.

The PACE funding was probably spread out over several years so probably does not qualify in this example.

I was thinking the same. This is more than the government spent for all those years!

And we were all so sad that the Stanford team didn’t get an NIH grant last year. This makes up for that big time. Absolutely fantastic!

Thank you Pine! What a beautiful thing to do.
I adore pineapple from now on!

Hajnalka

What is their email address?
The email address can be found on their website.

They also created an official twitter account yesterday. If it's real people on Twitter could say thank you directly. Although I'm not 100% sure if it's official or fake as it hasn't been verified yet and sounds a little strange to me (typos, promises of more donations to the same organizations etc.).

@Cheesus or @Ben H Do you happen to know if the Twitter account is valid?

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
The email address can be found on their website.

They also created an official twitter account yesterday. If it's real people on Twitter could say thank you directly. Although I'm not 100% sure if it's official or fake as it hasn't been verified yet and sounds a little strange to me (typos, promises of more donations to the same organizations etc.).

@Cheesus or @Ben H Do you happen to know if the Twitter account is valid?

Hi @Joh

I have reached out via email to ask. The last I had read was that Pine did not have a twitter account so I am really not sure. Hope to find out later today. I agree the wording on it is a little unusual.

B

MEPatient345

This looks very fake, warn twitter users to not share.

Pine knows where all we patients hang out online and isn’t trying to get more people to know about them.. asking for “readers” makes no sense. Also, this account is sending same message to many Pineapple fund recipients, all oddly worded.

Hajnalka

I agree. Alarm bells.
Yes, they've tweeted several parties that more donations are following and everything looks very unprofessional, I've even seen a typo in the name "Pineapple Fund" in one tweet. I've unfollowed and deleted my thank-you-note. In case they're real I'll write a new one.

Last edited:

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Just in case my posts weren't clear, the 5 million dollar donation was real, just the newly created twitter account doesn't belong to the real pineapple fund. :)

So the transaction has been made? I just logged in to see this, and then that the twitter is expected to be fake so a bit bewildered here

MEPatient345

So the transaction has been made? I just logged in to see this, and then that the twitter is expected to be fake so a bit bewildered here
$3 million has been transferred, 2M is still to come, we don’t know Pineapple Funds schedule but you can keep an eye on their website to see when the final transactions are made. I think there may be a transaction limit per day of $1M. https://pineapplefund.org/

The Twitter account is just some scammer, ignore.

Hajnalka

The fake spam account is still active and the real intention becomes clear (to trick people into sending bitcoin):
I want to give 100 BTC, the OMF community! The first 100 transactions from 0.10 BTC sent to the address below will receive from me 1.00 BTC to the address from which 0.10 BTC was received. 1P3QsMVYKbBK8h5Cp8chjP4WqbnoogyVj3
People from the ME community are still following this fake account.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
$3 million has been transferred, 2M is still to come, we don’t know Pineapple Funds schedule but you can keep an eye on their website to see when the final transactions are made. I think there may be a transaction limit per day of $1M. https://pineapplefund.org/

The Twitter account is just some scammer, ignore.

Wow that is HUGE!!! Like, thats a breakthrough in itself. And to OMF/Davis as well. Hells yes!