• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog from Dr Unamatz

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) maybe you know this or somebody else here, did Dr Davis use a method like this to identify 'something in the serum' of ME/CFS patients that changes upon stress?
I was wondering how you measure the amount of something, when you don't know what it is. The only methods I know of are designed to test for the presence of a known, specific substance..

Neunistiva

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) maybe you know this or somebody else here, did Dr Davis use a method like this to identify 'something in the serum' of ME/CFS patients that changes upon stress?
I was wondering how you measure the amount of something, when you don't know what it is. The only methods I know of are designed to test for the presence of a known, specific substance..

They used a sort of a "sieve". When they separated larger and let through the smaller they saw that the electrical impedance changes reverted back to looking like those of healthy individuals. From that you can conclude that whatever is in the blood of ME/CFS patients causing abnormal impedance changes has to be bigger than what "sieve" lets through.