• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science for ME Q&A with Dr José G. Montoya, 16th January 2018

ljimbo423

Thank you @raghav for posting this video!

At 6:10 in, Montoya says he is focused on studying "the brain, the gut and the immune system".

He goes on to talk about how there is an immune response that goes wrong and it causes all these symptoms related to inflammation.

He says he is looking at the brain, heavily and neuro-inflammation. Also that he is exploring the micro-biome and how it is an important player in the interaction with the immune system and potentially the brain.

He says, You have to then look at the metabolomics- (mitochondrial dysfunction) in the middle, as they are part of the cross-talk. He calls it "the brain, gut, immune system axis".

I believe what Montoya is focused on, the brain, gut and immune system interaction, holds the key to solving the puzzle of CFS!

Very exciting to hear about him doing this research!!!:)

Jim

Last edited:

raghav

When asked about a drug which he would want to try clinical trials, he says its valgancyclovir same as what Sarah Myhill recommends in her book.

raghav

He says there is Right Articulate Fascicules(forgive me for the spelling) and Inferior longitudinal fascicules and also says there is abnormality in the connection between the temporal lobe and frontal lobe. Something about areas thicker in the cortex(Could not get exactly what he said). These were definite biomarkers not found in healthy controls in their brain scans.

perrier

He says there is Right Articulate Fascicules(forgive me for the spelling) and Inferior longitudinal fascicules and also says there is abnormality in the connection between the temporal lobe and frontal lobe. Something about areas thicker in the cortex(Could not get exactly what he said). These were definite biomarkers not found in healthy controls in their brain scans.
This was all very interesting. Is there anyone here who could elucidate on this area of biology, and what he was indicating.

Pink

What if I have cfs without the viruses being positive in my bloodwork? I took anti virals just to be sure, but it made no difference except to make my stomach sick.

raghav

What if I have cfs without the viruses being positive in my bloodwork? I took anti virals just to be sure, but it made no difference except to make my stomach sick.
Have you checked your hormone levels (thyroid and testosterone), adrenal stress test and Glucose tolerance test

Pink

not sure what an adrenal stress test is, but yes multiple hormone levels and anti bodies, glucose test i had during pregnancies, tested for celiac, and many others. all negative.