• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pineapple fund--donation to OMF increased to $5 million!

Countrygirl

Just incredible! :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

I know nothing about these things................I just sign them :p.........but is it possible for us all to set up and sign an online 'thank you' card for Ms/Mr Pine? Do we have an address to send it to?

Edit: note to self....................read the post above before you engage brain cell.

alex3619

If this goes through OK then its more money than any government paid for research over most of the history of ME and CFS research. Its only in peak years that the US and UK governments have exceeded that, and for the UK that was PACE which is largely discredited.

I expect this will make a huge difference in driving research forward. I certainly hope so.

The PACE funding was probably spread out over several years so probably does not qualify in this example.

This is AMAZING news!!!

@Ben H Do you know how the donation is handled at all as far as it being bitcoin? Are the bitcoins immediately transferred to cash upon receipt by OMF? I have no clue how all of that works. Was just wondering because bitcoin value has been crashing so I was concerned about the donation losing value. Definitely don't want OMF to lose any of these extremely valuable dollars since every dollar counts for us.

This is AMAZING news!!!

@Ben H Do you know how the donation is handled at all as far as it being bitcoin? Are the bitcoins immediately transferred to cash upon receipt by OMF? I have no clue how all of that works. Was just wondering because bitcoin value has been crashing so I was concerned about the donation losing value. Definitely don't want OMF to lose any of these extremely valuable dollars since every dollar counts for us.

They convert right away

Excellent news!

Would be great if this leads to a clinical trial for suramin, identification of Mark Davis’ antigen, validation and clinical application of the nano needle, completion of phase 2 of the severely ill big data study, and validation of the KIR locus genetic findings.

Mark Davis’ findings should be at the top of our list since they are closest to an actual cause of me/cfs. Although I am optimistic about suramin, it probably won’t work. The chances that any one drug, that hasn’t yet been tested, will work on me/cfs is very low.

Obviously Ron knows this, and I trust his prioitization.

Stretched

Wonderful, but why all the cryptic aura: anonymous benefactor, use of Bitcoin contingency with up and down in value (per above)?

Why not convert enough B to = $5M U.S.?

It’s kind of like receiving a gift in diamonds, today worth $5M. While we will gratefully take it, the value can swing depending on review of carats, color, cut, clarity, and
on the somewhat controlled supply relative to demand. In Bitcoins’ market there’s open market supply and demand, so $5M today may be $2M next week... .

Cheesus

Stretched

@Stretched Most people in the bitcoin community value their anonymity. It is for a very good reason: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-forced-at-gunpoint-to-make-bitcoin-transfer

However, the payment processor that the OMF uses, BitPay, converts the bitcoin to USD at the time of the transaction. So however what equivalent value they send in bitcoin will reach the OMF in USD minus fees.

I’ll scratch my head and point North while I figure that one out=&

AdamS

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Does the OMF have a good idea of how they would like to use this money?

I created a thread about this HERE after the first donation was made incase you missed it.

Since making the thread, I stumbled across a really important piece by Dr Klimas about the success with Gulf War Illness research/trials. She reckoned that it was a pretty innovative/aggressive template to follow and it had yielded 22 clinical trials for GWI at the time it was written.

One of the key points she makes is that sub-grouping is becoming increasingly important in ME/CFS when considering treatments. For example, gender and different mediators such as viral illness, autoimmunity or toxic exposure could all be important when considering more tailored treatment/drug repurposing.

I've made a very basic model below to illustrate what I mean:

b4f1jr.jpg

It seems that getting the subgroups right first could be important. This is probably something that Ron and the team are focusing on anyway though.

Last edited: