• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need headrest for regular wheelchair

Tally

Several years ago when I was much better than now I bought a regular wheelchair. Now I'm too weak to hold my head up for more than a few seconds. I need to be transported so I need a headrest.

I looked at buying attachable wheelchair headrest online but they are very expensive because they are meant to fix person's head in place and need to be safe for car-travel etc. I don't need any of that, I just need a place to rest my neck muscles for a few minutes between bed and car.

Does anyone have any ideas for DIY version? It doesn't need to be anything fancy as I will only spend a very short time using it. I need to be horizontal asap anyway.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Hmmm, this is an interesting question! Do you have just a regular folding wheelchair?

What would you say is a reasonable budget? I have seen headrests like this one available for between $120-$200 that can be attached to folding wheelchairs.

Tally

@RebeccaRe It's as generic and as plain wheelchair as they get.

Yeah, those were the headrests I was talking about. I don't need anything so fancy and expensive for the 5 minutes it will be in use. Last time I hired two guys with a strecher and an ambulance car for $70, so I guess anything below that is acceptable.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
It's as generic and as plain wheelchair as they get.
That is definitely true! If you have a friend who sews, knits, or crochets maybe they could jazz it up for you with a nice cover?

I don't need anything so fancy and expensive for the 5 minutes it will be in use.
If you use it with any frequency, then in my opinion it's worth the cost. It's not some 'fancy and expensive' luxury; it's a necessity! Besides, as you pointed out, it's certainly not fancy.

I'm curious if there are any DIY'ers on this forum who can think of another easy, lower cost solution. The only ideas I can think of involve pillows and duct tape!

Tally

@RebeccaRe I actually like it plain. Less information for my brain to process :)

I honestly don't have that kind of money to spit out on something I will be using for 5 minutes max. This is the second time I will be leaving the house in 4 years. Also, I will be needing it in a week or so so I don't have time to wait for the shipping.

Pillows and duct tape, not bad. I was also considering somehow using a pool noodle.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast